HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 8:10 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denconyny View Post
It seems that all of the construction and related activities are resulting in at least one business to shut down doors there in Cherry Creek, blaming the construction and related activities for the shutdown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...d_cre&page=all

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.... but at least bad for the business that had to shut down.

Oh boo, it's Earls. Before I clicked the article I had a worry and concern but then saw that a big chain, Earls, is complaining. Welcome to a growing district guys! Also:

Cover story: Cherry Creek North comes to grips with cranes, drains and automobiles

Quote:
Frustrating.

Time-wasting.

Maddening.

These are the words motorists and shoppers are using to describe driving in Denver’s Cherry Creek North.

The city’s top shopping district has been mired for months in city paving and drainage-improvement projects along with construction on seven large-scale private developments. The four-by-12 block area is a maze of detours, lane closures, and on-street parking — in high demand even in the best of times — is reduced because of the closures.

“We had an enormous amount of trucks here when they were excavating [250 Columbine] and unbelievable traffic,” said Paul Ramsey, owner of Shaver Ramsey Oriental Rugs at 2414 E. Third Ave. “That has to be keeping people away from our business. ... It’s appalling to me that the city has allowed all of this work to proceed at the same time.”

Do people not know that construction completes? It's not going to be like that for the rest of your life. I have no patience for these kind of people. Construction happens. Get over it.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Up next? They are stealing our sunlight.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:46 PM

Cherry Creek is morphing into Scottsdale in 00s, La Jolla in the 1980s, and, into what every reasonably healthy US city is building for the upper 5 to 1% (the truly rich seldom go to such places). The architecture, at least for now, has a lot of metal accents placed over a few curves, or used to accent window lines. The windows tend to be large and (obviously) rectangular. The foyers, too, are designed to look "substantial" which the interior decorations "chic."

MacFinancial and MacBoutique for the upper middle class, and, about as creative.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Cherry Creek is morphing into Scottsdale in 00s, La Jolla in the 1980s, and, into what every reasonably healthy US city is building for the upper 5 to 1% (the truly rich seldom go to such places). The architecture, at least for now, has a lot of metal accents placed over a few curves, or used to accent window lines. The windows tend to be large and (obviously) rectangular. The foyers, too, are designed to look "substantial" which the interior decorations "chic."

MacFinancial and MacBoutique for the upper middle class, and, about as creative.
The financial/wealth management sector is a big driver of the office development in Cherry Creek. The residential, which in CCN, is almost exclusively for-sale condos is also a product of that considering the people working in that industry generally have high-paying jobs. Its location next to Denver's wealthiest old money neighborhoods also plays a significant role.

I do wonder when the mall will be revamped. I was in there the other day and it seemed pretty dated for a mall with such high end stores. I don't think it would be demolished and the street grid restored like some have suggested, at least not anytime soon, but a major renovation seems likely. I do think the area between Clayton and University south of 1st is ripe for redevelopment into something more similar to CCN. The views to the west over the country club would be outstanding for residential.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:29 PM

Zocalo n/e corner 1st & Steele

Happened to drive by the above yesterday, and noticed the Zocalo sign present on the fence that fenced the lot there where their 12 story residential building is supposedly going to be built. Has this project officially morphed from "under construction" to "proposed" at this time?

Anyways, seems like a lot is going on on that lot to still be considered a proposal? Of course, maybe it's just still rudimentary work on the lot, and if they find something (I wouldn't know what though) that is incompatible to the building being built, I suppose that Zocalo can always pull out, eh?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 9:31 PM

Dirt is moving for homes to be built next to the Polo Club or whatever on Cherry Creek South Drive

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 9:49 PM
ColoRADo

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:48 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Cherry Creek = winning. No stick builds, and not one project has been a missed opportunity. At 1st and Cook, this will do A LOT to that area as it's pretty sad on the north side right now.

Also, 1st and Steele is U/C. I was in Cherry Creek today and took some phone pictures.

Cherry Creek: 1st and Steele Apartments Update #1

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 6:30 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Random thought of the day:

As we all know, CC is experiencing a huge boom right now, and is going to need to focus on transit in the very near future. As of right now there are:

838 residential units under construction

and

246,000 square feet of office space under constuction

Instead of focusing on Cheery Creek as just a stop on the line, have there been any thoughts / plans on actually making a larger transfer / central transit station here? Kind of like a small Civic Center or something? With all of the new development and a couple thousand new people living / working in CC, it would only make sense to me. Thoughts?

I know I seem like a huge Cherry Creek cheerleader right now, it's just an exciting boom that materialized very quickly. I really do love everything from Cherry Creek to Union Station, I promise.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 6:45 PM

I think it is becoming it's own little community of eat work and play.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 6:51 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
have there been any thoughts / plans on actually making a larger transfer / central transit station here?
Served by what transit?

Not trying to be snarky. It's a serious question. How many bus routes actually go to Cherry Creek? And aside from our exercise, are there any plans to ramp up service?

The point of a transit station is to consolidate a bunch of transit at one location. For it to be a good idea, there has to be a lot of transit. I don't know the bus system well enough to know if that's the case or not. If it's not, better service is a precursor to a big station.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 6:56 PM

Oh, here, this'll be helpful. Is there some combination of bus stops on multiple routes in Cherry Creek that could be combined into something with more than 1,000 riders per day? That's what we need to justify a big depot. At the level of a couple hundred per day we could justify a superstop (comparable to a downtown light rail station, or one of the really nice MetroRide bus stops):

From Arlington County VA

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:17 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Served by what transit?

Not trying to be snarky. It's a serious question. How many bus routes actually go to Cherry Creek? And aside from our exercise, are there any plans to ramp up service?

The point of a transit station is to consolidate a bunch of transit at one location. For it to be a good idea, there has to be a lot of transit. I don't know the bus system well enough to know if that's the case or not. If it's not, better service is a precursor to a big station.
Didn't take it snarky! I would be curious to see what ridership CC gets, probably a good thing to research. I was thinking more of the future when we start making connections via enhanced bus / streetcar or whatever.

Then again, I'm not a planner type and live in more of a Sim City imagination sometimes

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:20 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
R
Instead of focusing on Cheery Creek as just a stop on the line, have there been any thoughts / plans on actually making a larger transfer / central transit station here? Kind of like a small Civic Center or something? With all of the new development and a couple thousand new people living / working in CC, it would only make sense to me. Thoughts?
I don't think there's a ton of routes that terminate at Cherry Creek. In fact, I believe there's none. There are enough routes for transfers, but the majority of those occur at Alameda and Colorado. There has been talk about turning the Speer corridor between Civic Center and Cherry Creek into an transit enhanced corridor (Feasibility Study) with enhanced stops like the Transit Station Stop in Cirrus' chart. RTD seems to be giving this some serious thought, but the question remains- who will pay for the necessary capital improvements? If only there was some sort of plan that the residents of Denver could get behind to pay for some enhanced transit corridors.....

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:32 PM
ColoRADo

The Cherry Creek Area Plan (2012) touches on transit needs, but until Denver creates a Transit Master Plan, it's all just piecemeal at this point (which is fine in corridors that are no-brainers, but gets wonky when only ED tools, etc.).

Now, could CC become a transit hub? Sure, but there would need to be a lot of analysis on whether that makes the most sense in the current system or a revamped one. And whether or not CC make senses from a geographic/logistical point of view. Does a place like Colorado/Colfax or 9th/Colorado make more sense? Dunno.

As Cirrus pointed out, in the current service plan/strategy, Cherry Creek is only served by a few routes and what RTD calls, a transfer station.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:44 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I really meant as a large transfer center like shown on the 250-1000+ on your little diagram, sorry if I wasn't clear on that!

Kind of like a Broadway or Alameda station deal.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:45 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Didn't take it snarky! I would be curious to see what ridership CC gets, probably a good thing to research. I was thinking more of the future when we start making connections via enhanced bus / streetcar or whatever.

Then again, I'm not a planner type and live in more of a Sim City imagination sometimes
Unfortunately, RTD doesn't produce (publically) information on individual bus stop boardings (probably because there are over 10,000 of them), but if you reached out to them regarding a few specific stops, they might be able to help.

Edit: Here's a blurb from the CC Area Plan:

RTD buses provide Cherry Creek residents, employees and visitors with transit connections, amounting to 5,000 people boarding and alighting buses each day in Cherry Creek.

Edit 2: Check out Wong's link to the CC/Leetsday/DUS study.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Random thought of the day:

Just to offer this about that, I do believe that Cherry Creek is more geographically centered that DT, at least within the confines of the city limits of Denver, would that be correct?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:42 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denconyny View Post
I do believe that Cherry Creek is more geographically centered that DT, at least within the confines of the city limits of Denver, would that be correct?
Everything between CBD and Cherry Creek (Speer, Cap Hill, Country Club) look the most central to me.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:50 PM

That's pretty arbitrary. City limits have very limited affect on how the metropolis functions, and pure geographic measures ignore meaningful differences in density & transit ridership potential.

I mean, the geographic center of the US is in South Dakota, but we wouldn't make that the hub for a high speed rail network.

wikipedia

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West