HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:48 PM

Doth mine eyes deceive?

Is it me, or does it look like the new HCC will be 6 stories on the one side due to the slope of the ground? Also. . . not to bag on the new library, I'm excited for Dixie State, but . . . are architects these days only interested in Boxish looking buildings? First the new Federal Courthouse in Salt Lake, and now this, after the new UVU library. I learned to draw vanishing lines in 7th grade art, is that all that's required to be an architect these days? sometimes I wonder.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Is it me, or does it look like the new HCC will be 6 stories on the one side due to the slope of the ground? Also. . . not to bag on the new library, I'm excited for Dixie State, but . . . are architects these days only interested in Boxish looking buildings? First the new Federal Courthouse in Salt Lake, and now this, after the new UVU library. I learned to draw vanishing lines in 7th grade art, is that all that's required to be an architect these days? sometimes I wonder.
I appreciate your commentary on architecture, and that new Dixie building does look boxy. And, the new Federal Courthouse doe look cubish. IMO, the courthouse will look stunning when finished. As far as the "boxy" commentary towards architects, just look at City Creek Center or the Salt Lake Library. Boxy stuff is less complicated and makes for ease and simplicity of designing and constructing in today's build it fast and inexpensive mentality. Keep in mind, the great cathedrals of yesteryears took centuries to build. The Salt Lake temple took 40 years to build. Anyways, this is just a response from an architect who appreciates what non-architects and/or architects think about today's buildings.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 9:06 PM

Golfin Deek

Made it down to St George last week, and was able to stretch my legs and play golf with my bro. I haven't played since September, but I was able to pull out a 79 at Coral Canyon. I'm hoping that the golf gods will smile on me this year and I will be able to play more than 10 times like last year. I saw an interesting piece on the news about the new course up by Apple Valley. Kokopeli, or something like that. Will host a Champions Tour event, this year or next. Exciting news for St George.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 5:09 PM

I'm liking the new rendering of that commons compared to the one from last year:

I don't mind boxy - it's all in the details.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 12:30 PM

St. George delays sale of old airport site

Old airport mesa

plusoneflyers.org

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...port-site.html

ST. GEORGE — city officials say they're waiting for Utah's real estate market to rebound before putting a 247-acre airport site up for sale.

The city also plans to make improvements to the former St. George Municipal Airport site atop a red rock mesa, The Spectrum of St. George reported.

City manager's assistant Marc Mortensen said there is no set timetable for selling the property.

"Eventually the goal is to sell it, but there's no rush," Mortensen said...

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 6:17 PM

Interesting. . . I was under the impression that it had already been sold, and that the city used a portion of the money from the sale to help fund the new airport, along with money from the FAA.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 6:25 PM

Hollond Commons Construction

here's a link to watch live cameras during construction of the library.

http://www.dixie.edu/construction/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 12:28 AM

The new Holland Commons is coming along quite nicely. If you look at the North View picture you can really see that it will be 6 stories. It also towers over the other buildings on campus. This will be a tremendous asset to DSC.

In other news. I noticed along the Southern Parkway that they are beginning to move dirt and lay out roads for a new development. I couldn't tell if its going to be homes (retirement community likely) or what, and I didn't have a lot of time to ask around. We were on our way to the petroglyphs by the airport when I saw the developing taking place.

I also played the new Kokopeli Golf Course in Apple Valley. That course is brutal, but I loved it! They're hoping to host a Champions Tour event in the next year. . . here's to hoping

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 7:19 AM

Quote:
The new Holland Commons is coming along quite nicely. If you look at the North View picture you can really see that it will be 6 stories. It also towers over the other buildings on campus. This will be a tremendous asset to DSC.

In other news. I noticed along the Southern Parkway that they are beginning to move dirt and lay out roads for a new development. I couldn't tell if its going to be homes (retirement community likely) or what, and I didn't have a lot of time to ask around. We were on our way to the petroglyphs by the airport when I saw the developing taking place.

I also played the new Kokopeli Golf Course in Apple Valley. That course is brutal, but I loved it! They're hoping to host a Champions Tour event in the next year. . . here's to hoping
Thanks for the update. Do you live in the area? It's hard to get news regarding St. George development.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 5:05 PM

I actually live in Spanish Fork, but I grew up in St George. All of my family lives down there, and I visit quite often. I try to keep abreast of developments in the area. Luckily the City Manager of Santa Clara is my first cousin. He's a great guy. Played MLB for the Phillies, and he helps coach up and coming pitchers.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 9:24 PM

Quote:
I was in St. George for a day over the holiday weekend on my way home from Vegas. Holland Commons not only towers over all the other buildings on campus but pretty much every building in St. George. As I looked out over the valley it was by far one of the biggest and most noticeable buildings in town and it is only a steel skeleton at the moment!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:39 PM
Development Junkie

The last time I was in St. George, I noticed they were moving dirt around where the trailer park used to be just east of River Road and north of 100 S (across from Golden Corral). What is being built there?

- - -

Also, exactly where on Dixie's campus is the Holland Commons being built? Is it between the Gardner Center and the Jennings Building on the Encampment Mall or is it more down in the field west of the Hazy Building?

I'm actually surprised that they are already replacing the Browning Library. When I was at Dixie ('93–'94 & '96–'98), the Browning Library was just constructed, and then expanded). What will become of the old library? I'm also surprised that the campus hasn't grown more since it became a four-year school.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 11:08 PM

Can anyone provide pictures???

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 6:23 PM

There's a live webcam - http://www.dixie.edu/construction/

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 7:10 PM

The Holland Commons building is being built directly south of the Gardiner Building. It is on the southwest side of the encampment mall, so it is sort of between the Gardiner Building and the Burns Arena.

The area where the trailer park was is now being turned into a new shopping area. Dick's Sporting Goods and Old Navy are anchoring it. Old Navy will be moving from its current location.

IMO, its about time St George got a real sports store. I remember when I was a kid, I wanted to buy a pair of Nike shoes, but we honestly didn't know where to go to find them. There were no stores, and Kmart didn't carry Nike. Then, in 1990, the mall opened. . . things have only gotten better since.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 6:49 AM

Moab News

$15 million gift to build legacy of higher education excellence in Moab

Monday, Sep. 12, 2011

Quote:
Community leaders, residents, higher education officials and others gathered Saturday, Sept. 10, in Moab to celebrate a $15 million gift that will reshape the higher education landscape in the area for years to come.

Wendy Walker-Tibbetts and her family — together with Utah State University President Stan Albrecht and many others — gathered at the David Bonderman home in Moab to announce the gift to USU’s Moab Center. Funds will be used for the construction of an education/research center.
http://www.usu.edu/ust/index.cfm?preview&article=50203

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 4:00 PM

Talking Connections Severed

Welp, looks like I know longer have an inside connection to Southern Utah government. My cousin, Wally Ritchie, the City Manager for Santa Clara accepted a position as BYU's new Pitching Coach for the Baseball team. Wally played professional baseball for a number of years with the Philadelphia Phillies. I am super excited that he's now with THE PREMIER University Athletic department in the State.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 12:19 PM

Aw, Cousin Wally. He used to be such a good guy. Sad to see him turn out that way.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Welp, looks like I know longer have an inside connection to Southern Utah government. My cousin, Wally Ritchie, the City Manager for Santa Clara accepted a position as BYU's new Pitching Coach for the Baseball team. Wally played professional baseball for a number of years with the Philadelphia Phillies. I am super excited that he's now with THE PREMIER University Athletic department in the State.
You said he took a position with BYU though?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 10:13 PM

Yes, the position is with BYU, The Premier athletic department in the state. Is there another school in the state with as good an overall athletic department? Talking everything from Football to Women's Badminton, here. I know Utah moved to the PAC12, but while in the same conference as BYU, BYU won 140 overall conference championships, compared to 49 for Utah. So, unless Utah State is better than both those schools, I'm going to have to stick by my comment that BYU is The PREMIER athletic department in the state. In the state, but not OF the state

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West