HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:00 PM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Proposed Nanaimo Arena

The upcoming referendum will take place on March 11,2017. If the city passes the referendum it looks like the city will get a WHL team. There will be good news also for the yes team as it looks as Sportsnet will be hosting a hockey day in Nanaimo Feb 25-26.

http://www.cheknews.ca/campaigns-gea...centre-256271/

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...nations-design

http://arenadigest.com/2017/01/25/na...roposed-arena/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 9:56 PM

The building looks like a west coast native theme from the picture.

Quote:
Spending $1 million on preparations for Nanaimo's events centre, even before the referendum, is simply part of due diligence, according to the city's chief financial officer.
The city seem pretty confident it will pass the referendum.

Quote:
If council approves the request on Monday, there will be 19 days left before the March 11 referendum. The city's final open house information session is set for March 1. Considering the short timeline, Mema was asked why not wait until after the vote before spending any more money on something that may not happen.

"That's a self-defeating position," Mema said. "The residents have come out clearly, 'if we're going to do this we have to do this responsibly.' Part of that is doing your due diligence."
http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/52...-hit-1-million

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 2:54 AM

Pretty nice looking from the outside. Wish we could get something like that built around here. Is the seating capacity enough to be competitive in the WHL though?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 3:20 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Is the seating capacity enough to be competitive in the WHL though?
The plans show it would seat slightly more - 5700 for hockey - than several current WHL rinks such as: Kelowna, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge.

If the vote is successful, sounds like they will be in talks with the owners of the Kootenay Ice, rather than look at a WHL expansion team. The Ice are only attracting an average of 1720 per game and are struggling financially.

Hope this happens - would be nice for the Royals to have a local rival! It's only about a 1 1/2 hour drive that separates the two Island cities - we get some Nanaimo Clippers fans for Junior A Victoria Grizzlies games down here. Could be a boost to attendance for both cities

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
The plans show it would seat slightly more - 5700 for hockey - than several current WHL rinks such as: Kelowna, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge.

If the vote is successful, sounds like they will be in talks with the owners of the Kootenay Ice, rather than look at a WHL expansion team. The Ice are only attracting an average of 1720 per game and are struggling financially.

Hope this happens - would be nice for the Royals to have a local rival! It's only about a 1 1/2 hour drive that separates the two Island cities - we get some Nanaimo Clippers fans for Junior A Victoria Grizzlies games down here. Could be a boost to attendance for both cities
I agree that this is a great local rival with Victoria. I also believe that so does the WHL. They have been in talks with the city for a long time. That is why the rush on the arena now.

Quote:
What’s being considered in discussions about building a new multi-purpose events centre in Nanaimo, based on a report from consultant Brisban Brook Benyon Architects

• Cost, depending on options chosen: $69.8 million to $86.6 million
• Lower-cost project: Hockey seating for 5,700, concert seating up to 7,100
• Higher-cost project: Hockey seating for 5,700, concert seating up to 8,300; additional space for guest services, such as multi-purpose rooms for recreation and meetings, upgraded interior and exterior architecture. The consultant recommends this approach.
• Hockey aspirations: Attract a Western Hockey League team
• Getting approval: Citizens vote in a referendum on March 11.
• Possible opening date: September 2019, after two years of construction
• Building size: about 160,000 square feet
• Design: Based on a traditional First Nations Coast Salish longhouse, featuring wood, glass and a green roof
• Number of events each year: 126, including 39 Western Hockey League games and 32 touring shows
• Market: Nanaimo Regional District had 163,000 residents in 2015; attendees are expected from outside the district
• Construction: About 30 per cent of materials and 75 per cent of labour would be sourced locally.
• Jobs: Venue operations would create 20 full-time and 133 part-time positions; this does not include a professional management company.
• Additional jobs: A WHL team would create 20 to 40 positions, totalling $826,000 in annual salaries and benefits; total operating budget for a WHL team is $2.5 million to $3 million annually.
• Out-of-town visitors: An estimated 27,000 overnight visitors each year staying in paid accommodation, spending about $3.9 million.
• WHL games average attendance of 4,535; Kelowna and Red Deer, with demographics similar to Nanaimo, each draw 5,000-plus.
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...sign-1.8671842

http://www.nanaimo.ca/UploadedFilesP...udy-Phase1.pdf

http://www.nanaimo.ca/UploadedFilesP...dy_Phase_2.pdf

For those whom are interested I have included the phase 1&2 Event centre study.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Nanaimo city council voted 5-2 to a $291,000 budget for Phase 3 of the event centre plan, which includes the referendum and work by legal and financial advisors, and project manager.
http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/414650264.html

Quote:
Three former Vancouver Canucks will be in attendance at the Nanaimo stop, including Willie Mitchell, Kirk McLean and Brendan Morrison, which is great, said MacLean.
http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/414741063.html

http://rogers-hometownhockey-product...EROutlined.pdf

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:22 AM
BANNED

For years i've wondered why Nanaimo didn't have a WHL team especially since much smaller cities like Swift Current and Cranbrook have teams, although apparently Cranbrook is struggling.

The only thing I don't get is having the entrance on the (cold) water side, shouldn't they spin it around so the entrance is on the much warmer, sheltered, city side?

Other than that this would be great for the port city so I really hope it happens.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
For years i've wondered why Nanaimo didn't have a WHL team especially since much smaller cities like Swift Current and Cranbrook have teams, although apparently Cranbrook is struggling.

The only thing I don't get is having the entrance on the (cold) water side, shouldn't they spin it around so the entrance is on the much warmer, sheltered, city side?

Other than that this would be great for the port city so I really hope it happens.
Phil the east coast of Vancouver island is not overly windy. This is not Dallas road in Victoria. Nanaimo used to have the islanders but that was short lived and the arena for such an event was torn down long ago. Civic Arena used to be at Maffeo-Sutten park. It could host the minimum 5000 seats.

Nanaimo has had to make some fast moves with regards to this arena. Since the league wants a team in Nanaimo it must have a proper arena.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 5:42 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:

Ferry schedules played a large role in why the WHL did not have teams on Vancouver Island for the longest time. Travel to or from the island was difficult to coordinate as ferry schedules need to be taken into account. Anywhere else a team plays, jumps on the bus and immediately travels to the next game. On the island this is impossible and forces teams to overnight after a game before travelling the next day. Travelling to the island is a little better but you are still at the mercy of the ferry schedule meaning a team cannot through the night and arrive early in the morning for a game on the island.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Ferry schedules played a large role in why the WHL did not have teams on Vancouver Island for the longest time. Travel to or from the island was difficult to coordinate as ferry schedules need to be taken into account. Anywhere else a team plays, jumps on the bus and immediately travels to the next game. On the island this is impossible and forces teams to overnight after a game before travelling the next day. Travelling to the island is a little better but you are still at the mercy of the ferry schedule meaning a team cannot through the night and arrive early in the morning for a game on the island.
I am not sure I agree with you on your analogy. Victoria also has the same issue as Nanaimo. The differance is that Nanaimo has two ferry terminals to Greater Vancouver. Departure bay to Horseshoe bay, as well as Duke Point to Tsawwassen.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/

I think it works well a team comes to Nanaimo for a game friday then has a game Saturday in Victoria, or vica versa.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 7:36 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
It would work well now for Nanaimo as teams could hit up both cities making travel much easier. But that fact is that is why the league was reluctant to return to the Island - ferry travel makes it very difficult for teams. This is why Victoria was without a team for quite some time until recently. The fact both cities have ferry terminals is irrelevant, it is the schedule of the ferry that matters and not having late night departures makes it impossible for teams to leave after a game without overnighting.

All that said, I would love to see Nanaimo get a team although ideally an expansion team as I don't want to see Cranbrook or any other city lose theirs. Except maybe Seatte if it meant an NHL franchise coming to that city.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 8:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
Phil the east coast of Vancouver island is not overly windy. This is not Dallas road in Victoria. Nanaimo used to have the islanders but that was short lived and the arena for such an event was torn down long ago. Civic Arena used to be at Maffeo-Sutten park. It could host the minimum 5000 seats. Nanaimo has had to make some fast moves with regards to this arena. Since the league wants a team in Nanaimo it must have a proper arena.
Exactly.

Look at Civic Arena, the entrance was on the city side not the water side, where the parking lot and the city were just like this place should be and I never said it was really windy, I just said the water side would be colder and windier.

Also, your theory about ferries doesn't make much sense because Victoria has always had a team, just not a WHL team. As I recall, the ECHL in which Victoria had a team, was actually a higher league than the WHL.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 15, 2017 at 8:10 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:56 PM

Well the results are in! It was a resounding NO as 80% disagreed with the arena proposal.

Quote:
With all polling stations in the City of Nanaimo reporting, 80.3 per cent of voters have rejected borrowing $80 million for the Nanaimo events centre.

Polls closed at 8 p.m. in Nanaimo and preliminary results were released at City Hall. All 14 polling stations across the city have reported, with 80.3 per cent of voters rejecting the request to borrow up to $80 million for the proposed project on the waterfront.

Nanaimo Mayor Bill McKay said he was not surprised at the result.

“I expected that based on the conversations I’ve had with members in the community. I didn’t expect it was going to be this high,” said Mayor Bill McKay. “They’ve made their position very clear on this particular project at this time.”
http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/415965014.html

I believe there is not a lot of support for this Mayor or Council and would not be surprised if all were gone once a new election takes place.

p.s. sorry for the delay as luck would have it my computer died last night! New one is great though

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 8:12 AM
BANNED

Wow, i'm surprised the city rejected this so thoroughly.

That's too bad, I guess Nanaimo will have to keep waiting before getting a WHL team.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Nanaimo used to have the islanders but that was short lived and the arena for such an event was torn down long ago. Civic Arena used to be at Maffeo-Sutten park. It could host the minimum 5000 seats.
The Nanaimo Islanders WHL team spent one season in Nanaimo (1982/83) before moving to New Westminster. (this franchise is now based in Kennewick Wa)
The Islanders did not play at the Civic Arena, they played at the newer and larger Frank Crane Arena. And the Civic Arena had a capacity of 2k-something including standing room.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post
The Nanaimo Islanders WHL team spent one season in Nanaimo (1982/83) before moving to New Westminster. (this franchise is now based in Kennewick Wa)
The Islanders did not play at the Civic Arena, they played at the newer and larger Frank Crane Arena. And the Civic Arena had a capacity of 2k-something including standing room.
I remember going to watch the team at the old Civic Arena. It could hold 5000 people and was much larger than the newer Frank Crane Arena. The only person from the team I can remember is Rocky Trottier the younger brother of Brian.

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Nanaimo_Civic_Arena

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 10:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I remember going to watch the team at the old Civic Arena. It could hold 5000 people and was much larger than the newer Frank Crane Arena.http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Nanaimo_Civic_Arena
I think you're right because I remember the old Civic Arena and it definitely looked bigger than the Frank Crane Arena although I couldn't find any info to prove that.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:18 AM

Quote:
I think you're right because I remember the old Civic Arena and it definitely looked bigger than the Frank Crane Arena although I couldn't find any info to prove that.
I know I am right! It was old and had the old style bench seating! Maybe in today's world of obese people it would not hold 5000 people? I have been in it many times played hockey in it. I watched hockey games in it including the Nanaimo Islanders whom I mentioned before.

The Frank Crane arena is about half the size of the old Civic Arena.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia