HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 1:51 PM
-

That expressway would have been disastrous!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:44 PM

Tennis I agree with you. Fortunately, I have had ample opportunity to travel around the world and I've see a pattern with how highways throw a wrench into inner city development. I'm a big proponent of a good highway system, I just don't think they should go in city centers at all.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Tennis I agree with you. Fortunately, I have had ample opportunity to travel around the world and I've see a pattern with how highways throw a wrench into inner city development. I'm a big proponent of a good highway system, I just don't think they should go in city centers at all.
I can guarantee you if that expressway would have been built we would be talking about how to remove that one as well as Claiborne right now!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
One thing people often overlook is that highways usually went into areas that were already declining for other reasons, were majority minority, or minority/immigrant slums at the least. As much effort was done as possible to avoid places that were actually considered desirable. With the exception of stable minority neighborhoods (which no one seemed to care about), most of the areas would have gone to **** regardless of having the highway built or not. A tasteful elevated or depressed highway can easily be built, though expensively, without "dividing" or "disconnecting" the neighborhood.

Last edited by Uptowner; Aug 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 9:35 PM
-

I agree with that point. The problem is that its made it nearly impossible for these areas to rejuvenate along with other areas of cities because they are simply not desirable for aesthetic and pedestrian reasons!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:23 PM

Walk-Ons

Walk Ons and Happy's Irish Pub open on Monday. Hopefully, the Rouses will speed up construction and open this Fall too.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...dras-corridor/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:57 AM

Former Uptown Borders store is under construction, may become health food store

Construction is under way at the former Borders bookstore at 3338 St. Charles Avenue. A worker at the Uptown site said it's going to be a "health food store," with offices upstairs, and should be open in about eight months.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._store_is.html

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 6:58 AM

Have you guys seen the number of new 3-D buildings in Google Earth that someone has added of New Orleans? You would expect the CBD to have some, but literally every house in some parts of the Marigny/Bywater and Lakefront have been recreated. Each one is unique. Whoever had a love of NOLA and this time on their hands and talent, bravo!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Have you guys seen the number of new 3-D buildings in Google Earth that someone has added of New Orleans? You would expect the CBD to have some, but literally every house in some parts of the Marigny/Bywater and Lakefront have been recreated. Each one is unique. Whoever had a love of NOLA and this time on their hands and talent, bravo!
Agreed. I was amazed at how much had been covered since the last time I used Google Earth. Only thing that would make it better would be to model the trees like someone has done for NYC and Boston.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 6:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Walk Ons and Happy's Irish Pub open on Monday. Hopefully, the Rouses will speed up construction and open this Fall too.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...dras-corridor/
Yeah I certainly cant see Rouses making a September opening but October looks realistic!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 10:00 PM
-

Permit for Renovating Exterior of Holiday Inn Superdome

330 LOYOLA AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112

Project Description:
COSMETIC RENOVATIONS WITH REPLACEMENT OF EXISTING LIGHTING AND PLUMBING FIXTURES AT EXISTING LOCATIONS,PAINTING,VWC,CARPORT,BASE ETC.WORK ON FLOORS 8-18.
Owner:
CIVIC CENTER SITEDEVE CO
330 LOYOLA AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112

Job Value($):
$1,542,000.00

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 4:35 PM

Chateau Bourbon Hotel upgrades approved by New Orleans City Council

Converting the 250-room Chateau Bourbon Hotel on Canal Street from a three-diamond Wyndham hotel to a four-diamond Hyatt will mean more money for city government, the hotel's landlord, officials said as the New Orleans City Council approved amendments to the leases for the hotel and garage buildings.

The hotel, which opened in 1995 as the Chateau Sonesta, will be extensively renovated and "rebranded" by May 2012, Tom Leonhard, president of HRI Properties, told the council. It will remain open throughout the conversion.

Leonhard said the hotel's lobby, bar and restaurant areas will be upgraded, and the operators will seek new tenants for two retail spaces that have been vacant since Hurricane Katrina. He said 80 percent of the 22,000 square feet available for retail is now occupied.

Link

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 6:38 PM
-

Rendering of 800 Magazine Street. Corner of Julia and Magazine.

This is what it looks like now

What it looked like in the 1850s

Saw renderings for the Westin Canal Places planned new rooftop pool. Going to be nice! Guess there will be several rooftops pool bars on the way in this city!

Last edited by tennis1400; Aug 26, 2011 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 8:41 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Permit for Renovating Exterior of Holiday Inn Superdome

330 LOYOLA AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112

Project Description:
COSMETIC RENOVATIONS WITH REPLACEMENT OF EXISTING LIGHTING AND PLUMBING FIXTURES AT EXISTING LOCATIONS,PAINTING,VWC,CARPORT,BASE ETC.WORK ON FLOORS 8-18.
Owner:
CIVIC CENTER SITEDEVE CO
330 LOYOLA AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112

Job Value($):
$1,542,000.00
What will happen to the clarinet?!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 9:29 PM
Ex Houstonian

I take it someone is restoring that 800 Magazine St. building? If so, it will look absolutely amazing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 10:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
What will happen to the clarinet?!
Im sure that is staying!~

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 12:44 AM

Construction on the Hibernia Bank building will begin in September. Plans are to convert to a mixed-use development. Some residential and some office.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...-in-september/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 2:15 AM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Construction on the Hibernia Bank building will begin in September. Plans are to convert to a mixed-use development. Some residential and some office.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...-in-september/
What a classic building and to hear this is moving forward is another big plus for residential in the CBD!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 12:24 PM

www.1031canal.com

Nice video of debate over 1031 canal is posted. Wow VCPORA is clueless...City council descision on Sept 15th.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 3:58 PM
-

Thats the worst thing! Those people dont get it! But we won and thats all that matters! Look for more people to pick fights with them now that they arent infallible!

Last edited by tennis1400; Aug 29, 2011 at 8:37 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations