HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 9:42 PM

Milpitas development July 9 update:

The Fields phase 1

Development West of Milpitas BART:

Development North of Milpitas BART:

Last edited by gillynova; Jul 10, 2017 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:56 PM

As posted while it was in progress:

Quote:
Fire Consumes Major Development near Oakland’s Auto Row
July 7, 2017

A fire has consumed Wood Partners’ 193-unit development under construction at 2302 Valdez Street, one of the largest projects in the works or anticipated to rise within Oakland’s Broadway Valdez District and along the city’s burgeoning Auto Row.

In addition to the 193 market-rate units, which were to average a little over 800 square feet apiece, the fire has destroyed over 31,000 square feet of new retail space which was to enliven Valdez between 23rd and 24th Streets.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-auto-row.html

I believe this fire was probably arson and the suspicion is that there is an arsonist attacking multiple new projects in Oakland.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:28 AM

Any number of suspects: a construction worker fired from his job, a competing supplier, a tree-loving environmentalist.

Arsonists would have no fun in Mexico, as the giant concrete firm CEMEX all but dictates how a building gets built.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 8:53 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Milpitas development July 9 update:

The Fields phase 1

Development West of Milpitas BART:

Development North of Milpitas BART:

Nice drone shots. Self shot? Which drone are you using?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Nice drone shots. Self shot? Which drone are you using?
Yes, self shot! I'm using a DJI Mavic Pro for the photos.

btw, if you have any suggestions for photos of development or anything around the Bay Area, let me know!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 5:40 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Yes, self shot! I'm using a DJI Mavic Pro for the photos.
Nice job!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Can Chinese developer bring $565 million megaproject to an Oakland BART station?
Jul 26, 2017, 3:37pm PDT Updated Jul 26, 2017, 6:40pm PDT

Blanca Torres
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

The developers of the West Oakland BART station property are crafting plans for a $565 million development featuring an office tower, apartments and a shopping center.

The developers have been working on a plan since 2014 for a 3.7-acre parcel at the station where BART officials want to see a high-density development . . . .

The development team, consisting of China Harbour Engineering Co., Oakland-based Strategic Urban Development Alliance, Robin Chiang & Co. architects, and JRDV Architects, won a bid to develop the site in 2014 and is now asking BART to extend their exclusive agreement for up to two more years. The board is scheduled to vote on the extension Thursday with staff recommending approval.

The board already extended the agreement last year, when they asked the developers to plan for a denser project.

The developers’ current scheme, dubbed Mandela Station, involves building 700,000 or 850,000 square feet of office space in a tower that would likely rise 25 stories. The project would also include 165 apartments and 62,000 square feet of retail in multiple buildings.

A highrise office tower would require the city to raise the current height limit at West Oakland. Developer Boston Properties went through a similar process to raise the height limit on a site at MacArthur BART where the city approved a 240-foot apartment tower . . . .

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...193&j=78610521

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Wow. That would be amazing if built and helps increase the BART ridership levels by a lot. I love seeing office buildings being built next to BART stations, aka future Berryessa station and downtown San Jose station.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:21 PM

Another propoal near West Oakland BART:

Quote:
Developer aims high for 1,000-unit apartment project in West Oakland
Jul 28, 2017, 7:39am PDT Updated Jul 31, 2017, 7:16am PDT

Blanca Torres
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

Developer Panoramic Interests revised its design for a 3-acre site near the West Oakland BART to include 1,031 units of “family-size” housing.

The firm originally conceived of more than 1,400 units for 500 Kirkman St., but cut out one-bedrooms and left only two studios to make room for larger two- to five-bedroom units . . . .

Designed by Lowney Architecture, the project, called The Hub, applies the developer’s penchant for small, efficient units. The apartments will range from about 450 to 1,000 square feet . . . .

. . . missing from the design: parking. The site will only have seven spaces for car-sharing and deliveries . . . .

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...909&j=78632551

I think it's getting to be the wrong time in the building cycle to start projects such as these, though. My guess is they won't happen until the next cycle.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:

I think it's getting to be the wrong time in the building cycle to start projects such as these, though. My guess is they won't happen until the next cycle.
Agreed. But it is prompting to see what could be developed in a highly underutilized space. It would help the other previous development feel more incorporated. As the developed space stands now. it is almost a barrier to the rest of West Oakland. The framework of this, while it is complementary to developed area existing, seems a little aggressive, ambitious, and monolithic for me. Time will tell, and i think the reality of something like this only comes from greater development near DT Oakland's core. Thanks for posting

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 7:49 PM

Another month, another comparison between this year and last year's BART ridership! Basically, I want to see if there is a difference mainly in the extension of the Warm Springs location.

BART Ridership Year over Year comparison:
Quote:
2016:
May: 432k
June: 436k
July: 428k

2017:
May: 421k (-11k from last year)
June: 423k (-13k from last year)
July: 420k (-8k from last year)
Fremont + Warm Springs:
Quote:
Fremont 2016:
May: 9,500
June: 9,600
July: 9,200

Fremont 2017:
May: 7,300
June: 7,300
July: 7,200

Warm Springs 2017:
May: 2,700
June: 3,100
July: 3,100

Combined 2017 Fremont + Warm Springs May: 10,000 (+500 vs. 2016 Fremont)
Combined 2017 Fremont + Warm Springs June: 10,400 (+800 vs. 2016 Fremont)
Combined 2017 Fremont + Warm Springs July: 10,300 (+1,100 vs. 2016 Fremont)
I’m still not sure why there is an overall drop YoY in ridership with the population increasing in the Bay Area but I’m happy to see that more people from the South Bay are using BART.

Source: https://www.bart.gov/about/reports/ridership

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Another month, another comparison between this year and last year's BART ridership! Basically, I want to see if there is a difference mainly in the extension of the Warm Springs location.
With some of the recent crime incidents and BART's defensive/passive attitude toward them, I now have second thoughts about riding BART that I never had before, especially in the East Bay.

There's no excuse IMHO for not having working cameras in all cars and completely covering all platforms, and there should be at least a pair of BART cops in all stations at all times the system is operating. I recently had some out-of-town visitors and I really worried about advising them to take BART (with luggage) from Oakland airport because the Coliseum Station has been a focal point of "incidents".

If BART doesn't respond more aggressively to this, it could significantly affect ridership.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
With some of the recent crime incidents and BART's defensive/passive attitude toward them, I now have second thoughts about riding BART that I never had before, especially in the East Bay.

There's no excuse IMHO for not having working cameras in all cars and completely covering all platforms, and there should be at least a pair of BART cops in all stations at all times the system is operating. I recently had some out-of-town visitors and I really worried about advising them to take BART (with luggage) from Oakland airport because the Coliseum Station has been a focal point of "incidents".
I ride BART multiple times per week through Oakland, and have never had problems or seen anyone else have problems. I have seen some bad shit on muni recently though, and countless incidents over the two decades that i've been regularly riding it. Are you afraid of riding Muni? If not, you shouldn't feel bad about BART either. Muni has a lot of non-functional cameras too, for the record.

The real reason BART crime is always in the news right now is not because it's at epidemic levels or anything like that, but because there were a couple close-together high-profile incidents so it's a hot topic for the media (mob-style robberies, which FYI have also happened multiple times on Muni recently, but with less media attention). Also, Civic center, Powell, and the Mission District BART stations have just as much sketchiness going on as the sketchiest Oakland BART stations. Of course it's always good to be aware of your surroundings, and to keep your eyes peeled, but don't fall victim to media hysteria and go thinking that it's unsafe to ride BART in the east bay, while it's somehow perfectly fine in SF.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Nice, i've often thought that all those parking lots around west Oakland BART need some apartment towers on them (i feel like that one office tower proposal should be apartments instead, but it's still an improvement). I really hope these get built as soon as possible...We need the housing yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Civic center, Powell, and the Mission District BART stations have just as much sketchiness going on as the sketchiest Oakland BART stations. Of course it's always good to be aware of your surroundings, and to keep your eyes peeled, but don't fall victim to media hysteria and go thinking that it's unsafe to ride BART in the east bay, while it's somehow perfectly fine in SF.
The SF stations you mention are in deplorable condition with homeless types laying around on the floor, panhandlers and sometimes a "demonstration" that completely shuts down the system. All that shouldn't be allowed and BART should be using it's private police force to stop. But I'm not aware of any mobs of teens or anyone else victimizing the vulnerable and stealing from them at these stations. Disgusting is one thing--these stations are that--dangerous is another.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:03 AM
heavy user of walkability

the building going up across from Redwood City Caltrain is coming along

from the train platform itself

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
I ride BART multiple times per week through Oakland, and have never had problems or seen anyone else have problems. I have seen some bad shit on muni recently though, and countless incidents over the two decades that i've been regularly riding it. Are you afraid of riding Muni? If not, you shouldn't feel bad about BART either. Muni has a lot of non-functional cameras too, for the record.

The real reason BART crime is always in the news right now is not because it's at epidemic levels or anything like that, but because there were a couple close-together high-profile incidents so it's a hot topic for the media (mob-style robberies, which FYI have also happened multiple times on Muni recently, but with less media attention). Also, Civic center, Powell, and the Mission District BART stations have just as much sketchiness going on as the sketchiest Oakland BART stations. Of course it's always good to be aware of your surroundings, and to keep your eyes peeled, but don't fall victim to media hysteria and go thinking that it's unsafe to ride BART in the east bay, while it's somehow perfectly fine in SF.
Well stated, and agreed. I have seen occurrences of similar incidents on Muni over the years. The media is definitely playing on the hype. We must also remember that Bart is, more or less, a centralized system, Meaning, if something goes wrong, it impacts the whole system, creating a lot more attention. Muni is all over the place. You should always be vigilant, and aware of your surroundings.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:24 AM
heavy user of walkability

the second Genesis building on the slope of San Bruno Mtn is now taller than its older brother. unseen in the pic is that glass has been installed on the lowest floor

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 6:46 PM

The wraps are coming off of Uber's Uptown Station in Oakland:

Uptown Station, Oakland by Sergio Ruiz, on Flickr

Uber is mostly going to lease out the building to other tenants initially when it opens next year.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I ride BART multiple times per week through Oakland, and have never had problems or seen anyone else have problems.
BART robberies (by 35%) and assaults (by 27%) up, but felony arrests down

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
The wraps are coming off of Uber's Uptown Station in Oakland:
Quote:
Aug. 7, 2017 6:59 p.m. ET
Uber Chairman Says Travis Kalanick Won’t Return as CEO
Garrett Camp, in email to staff, says company is ‘committed to hiring a new world-class CEO’
https://www.wsj.com/articles/uber-ch...ceo-1502141814

This is good news, even from the development standpoint. It means Uber will be run more like a business and less impulsively. That new approach will, hopefully, include its real estate dealings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations