HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
So... A new green fence and heavy equipment has arrived on a project at gower just south of Hollywood blvd. anyone know what this is?
Its the 2nd part of Blvd 6200 and its going to KILL that SUCKY parking lot!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:50 PM

http://planning.lacity.org/eir/Holly...%20Project.pdf

Looks like its going to be a 20 story tower rising to 270 ft, assuming its the project named "Hollywood and Gower"

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:52 PM

Nevermind to my last post ahah

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:56 PM

I am thinking of a block west where Blvd 6200 apparently just closed off the parking lot for demo and construction a couple days ago. Hollywood/Gower would be even more fantastic if the tower were also going up at the same time.

This is Hollywood/Gower
from Curbed (way back in 2009, so this may not be the most current rendering):

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:07 PM

Oh okay thank you! and yeah too bad they're not going up at the same time

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesnative View Post
http://planning.lacity.org/eir/Holly...%20Project.pdf

Looks like its going to be a 20 story tower rising to 270 ft, assuming its the project named "Hollywood and Gower"
Pretty sure nimbys killed this one off awhile ago

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
There's an anti-density ballot?
If it gets onto the ballot, I'll honestly care more about it being defeated than who becomes president.

The group pushing it is also planning to put up billboards in Hollywood saying "Stop Manhattanwood" When they do I have this crazy idea of how to counter it. Write a brief explanation on a flyer of why these NIMBYs are idiotic and put it up around the area. Might not do much but I want to try and inform the uninformed people in the area so the NIMBYs don't take us down a path that leads to a future in which LA rents are as high as SF rents.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:20 AM

Yeah tell me about it. I took a trip to Long Beach yesterday, went to the "Outlets at the Pike"....I was severely underwhelmed, especially after I saw pictures of what the original pike used to be. If only I had a time machine. Very poorly designed shopping/entertainment center.

In other news, looks like they are indeed digging down for tower 2 of "The Current Project" or at least they dug up the parking lot and went down a few feet it looks like. The first tower isn't completed yet with its exterior but it looks like it may be a descent looking tower when its done at 18 floors if I counted correctly.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
If it gets onto the ballot, I'll honestly care more about it being defeated than who becomes president.

The group pushing it is also planning to put up billboards in Hollywood saying "Stop Manhattanwood" When they do I have this crazy idea of how to counter it. Write a brief explanation on a flyer of why these NIMBYs are idiotic and put it up around the area. Might not do much but I want to try and inform the uninformed people in the area so the NIMBYs don't take us down a path that leads to a future in which LA rents are as high as SF rents.
Another way to fight it would be to put on the billboards

"want to actually afford to live in LA, help keep rents and home prices from rapid sky high prices by supporting more built housing"

"Deal with traffic or live closer to work and have cheaper rent???

"My rent keeps going sky high... What can I do about that??? Vote..."

"Think home prices are expensive now... Wait... Vote To support the mayor build housing and increase the supply"

Can't find an apartment?? Vote so we can build more housing opportunities"

Ask major LA developers to pitch in on the campaign

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 8, 2016 at 6:48 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:16 PM
BANNED

Stop Manhattanwood?

Ugg I hate NIMBYs.

And as if Hollywood becoming more like Manhattan would be a bad thing...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Stop Manhattanwood?

Ugg I hate NIMBYs.

And as if Hollywood becoming more like Manhattan would be a bad thing...
Manhattanwood is a gross exaggeration. It's more like Portlandwood or Vancouverwood

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 10:04 PM

I just happened to be in the area today. Go Manhattanwood!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 10:18 PM

^^^OH NO WAY ! I had no idea they finally broke ground on that way, where in the hell have I been. Hollywood is easily becoming one of my favorite areas of LA, saying that in the 90s would have easily landed me in a mental hospital for a psych evaluation LOL.

SCREW YOU NIMBYS ! something needs to be done, if that does get enough votes to become a ballot measure, better believe they are going to spend tons of money trying to pass it. Looks like we need to contact some developers to get some support to fight that ballot measure if it makes it that far.

Downtown, Century City, Hollywood, Wilshire corridor, Santa Monica, Long Beach and all other transit hubs need to be exempt from nimby fingers, if you're that loony enough to live in areas of the county that are for sure going to densify and see increased tourism/business/investment, then you need to reevaluate yourself. Move, easy. Cant stop progress because you want LA to stay as it was 60 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 10:37 PM

I contacted Anderson Pacific, The people behind the Long Beach "Current" project ( also know as The Gateway Project) including a 17 story tower that just topped out and a 35 story tower that has apparently already broken ground.

So they were nice enough to call me back and actually left a voicemail, love them already, And they said as of right now tower 2 ( the 35 story) has already broken ground. They are waiting on a permit and some other things before they move forward apparently, the gist of the voicemail

" Some of our neighbors are concerned about some key elements, "AKA NIMBYS", and we are working diligently to solve any concerns as we go forward, this project has been in the works for over a decade and we look forward to working with the city of Long Beach and the citizens of Long Beach to see the project gets completed"

Generic response but I'm happy. I'm guessing they thought I was an attorney or something since my new number was apparently connected to a law firm in Long Beach a few years ago.

Last edited by caligrad; Jan 8, 2016 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 10:37 PM

Thank you for pics, San Frangelino. This is HUGE news for Hollywood, as that massive parking lot broke up the energy of Hollywood Blvd.; hopefully we can keep pushing the walkability eastward, since it really picks up at Wilton and goes all the way past Western Avenue. A strange hole that still exists is the parking lot at Hollywood & Vine; a smart developer would plunk a hotel there ASAP.

We do have to worry about the ballot initiative, but what is currently under construction in Hollywood? These are the big projects I could remember/have seen:

-Blvd6200 Phase II
-Vine office building
-SBE/Equinox mixed-user on Vine
-Kimpton Hotel north of Hollywood Blvd.
-Columbia Square
-Dream Hotel
-Office project on Sunset Blvd., adjacent to 101 (Sunset/Bronson?)
-Apartment project on Sunset Blvd., across from massive office development

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Another way to fight it would be to put on the billboards

"want to actually afford to live in LA, help keep rents and home prices from rapid sky high prices by supporting more built housing"

"Deal with traffic or live closer to work and have cheaper rent???

"My rent keeps going sky high... What can I do about that??? Vote..."

"Think home prices are expensive now... Wait... Vote To support the mayor build housing and increase the supply"

Can't find an apartment?? Vote so we can build more housing opportunities"

Ask major LA developers to pitch in on the campaign
I'd really just like to tag it replacing stop with go. wondering if I could get away with that.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Manhattanwood is a gross exaggeration. It's more like Portlandwood or Vancouverwood
I agree, Hollywood is nothing like, never will and never should look like Manhattan. If anything, I would call it "Torontowood." Basically...pockets of high rises, retail and density along transit lines. If done correctly, this should be the future of our city.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
I'd really just like to tag it replacing stop with go. wondering if I could get away with that.
Secrets safe with me.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:38 AM

Some random projects.

Heritage Square Station adjacent. Suppose to be affordable housing vets and some for homeless or maybe homeless vets. I pass it all the time on the Gold Line so fuzzy picture.

Heritage Square Station homes for Vets and homeless

River Park housing complex right next to Taylor Yards. Will be an awesome place when the wetlands are fixed up in the future.

River Park Taylor Yard Cypress Park

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 6:22 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Funny thing about all these NIMBY's in Hollywood is that I actually think it is easier to get around there now then it was when I first moved to the neighborhood in 1997. Back then you had to get in your car and drive to the west side if you wanted to go anywhere adding to the traffic. Since then so many more retail shopping, entertainment and restaurant options have opened up in the neighborhood that you can walk to your destination rather than get in your car and drive. It is the mentality of some people though.... I walked to the gym four blocks from my complex but there were people in that same complex that still got in their car to drive to the same gym. People refuse to get out of their car even when it is the less convenient option to drive and they expect the roads to be wide open and empty. These NIMBY's are not going to be pushing for continued investment in more transit and they want the housing prices to remain high since they tend not to be the renters but the people who own homes in the neighborhoods. They want to continue to see their values climb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations