HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 7:00 PM

We spent our Easter long weekend up in Sun Peaks. While there was no snow in Kamloops, the snow base up in the village was a nice 200 cm. It was only our second time to Sun Peaks and we did enjoy the non-crowded runs.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:40 PM
HVAC guru

Pretty excited to hit Silver Star over the Christmas holidays this year. The old green chair has been replaced with a gondola.. a big step for one of the nicest hills in the area

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 9:15 PM

I've heard Silverstar is a great hill for mountain biking, never been there summer or winter.

I just got new snowboard boots, so the chill in the air right now has me excited to break in some new gear, bring on the snow!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I've heard Silverstar is a great hill for mountain biking, never been there summer or winter.
Silverstar does have great downhill trails.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 8:34 AM
perhaps . . .

Silverstar does have some fun and interesting dh trails, but it is limited. I had a great day there, and seeing as I enjoy my local trails over and over and over again, I'm sure I could enjoy Silverstar for several days, weeks . . .

But to be clear: while it has decent trail lengths and elevation, its trails are small in number if you are used to the coast. From Calgary I would look first to Sun Peaks (Kamloops) for a long weekend and maybe add Silverstar for one day.

On skiis or board, Silverstar offers a much bigger selection than for the bike + awesome snow.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:06 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Silverstar does have some fun and interesting dh trails, but it is limited. I had a great day there, and seeing as I enjoy my local trails over and over and over again, I'm sure I could enjoy Silverstar for several days, weeks . . .

But to be clear: while it has decent trail lengths and elevation, its trails are small in number if you are used to the coast. From Calgary I would look first to Sun Peaks (Kamloops) for a long weekend and maybe add Silverstar for one day.

On skiis or board, Silverstar offers a much bigger selection than for the bike + awesome snow.
I'd agree with this assessment. Mountain biking at Silver Star is a fun experience but the hill is really marketing itself more to families and recreational users rather than hardcore downhillers. Anyone coming from the coast or west Kootenays who is looking for more technical terrain might not find it as challenging as other hills. I've never ridden Sun Peaks but heard it's pretty decent.

Silver Star does offer much more as a ski hill than a MTB terrain park, absolutely

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 10:08 PM

Looking at webcams it is currently snowing up on Whistler peak.

I was there two weeks ago and they had not yet installed any of the new lifts. The old Emerald Express chair had been removed and all equipment for the new six-person lift had been delivered, but they will be in hurry to install the new lift before snow falls.

I couldn't really see how the gondola on Blackcomb side is coming along, but I am still thorn by it. I wish they would have kept Solar Coaster as additional mid-mountain capacity as taking a gondola wont be nearly as convenient during the day a chair lift is.

Otherwise I am please with all the investment that Whistler is currently seeing and look forward to season start in two months.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I couldn't really see how the gondola on Blackcomb side is coming along, but I am still thorn by it. I wish they would have kept Solar Coaster as additional mid-mountain capacity as taking a gondola wont be nearly as convenient during the day a chair lift is.
Agreed. I think they ran out of space up at Rendezvous to accommodate Solar Coaster. I was up there a short while ago and there's not a lot of excess real estate.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Agreed. I think they ran out of space up at Rendezvous to accommodate Solar Coaster. I was up there a short while ago and there's not a lot of excess real estate.
Might be, but they could have made the gondola extend over Peak2Peak to offload at the hill above it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:12 PM

Big dump for the Alberta hills (and Kicking Horse) today and tomorrow. The resorts need to start rounding up the Aussies, ski season may start early this year! one positive spin on this shit-tastic start to fall!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:51 PM

Snow in Whistler village yesterday. Time to retire the DH bike until next season. <sad face>

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:59 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Snow in Whistler village yesterday. Time to retire the DH bike until next season. <sad face>
Never! North Shore, Moab, California, Nevada . . .

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Never! North Shore, Moab, California, Nevada . . .
I'm a DH p*ssy, and need the gravity assist of a chairlift!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:40 PM

The weather is forecast to get much nicer here in the next few weeks, may still get the XC bike out in the lower parts of the Foothills, maybe do some small DH trails in the city still too.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:38 PM

Louise Plus cards don't work at Revelstoke or Castle Mountain this year, guess it's all about Costco passes now...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:34 PM

The Banff ski hills open in a week! Ski season is nearly upon us...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:12 PM
HVAC guru

Sounds like both Silver Star and Big White are scheduled to open on time on November 22nd. Super excited to check out the new gondola at Silver Star over the holidays.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:38 PM
HVAC guru

Whitewater in Nelson is scheduled to open Dec 7 and Red Mountain is scheduled to open December 8. New Years in Nelson again this year.. always a huge blast!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:48 PM

Damn, that would be an awesome New Years!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:58 PM

Sunshine Village has a base of nearly 100cm already, looking to be a pretty good start to the season! looking forward to getting the rust off the legs tomorrow!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia