20 Times Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 12:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
The other new Times Square tower kiddy corner is coming on the market 100% empty.
That one (11 TS - directly accross the street) was planned as a spec tower from the beginning. Vornado has said they wouldn't build the PA tower without a tenant, although they do have some sort of timeframe agreement with the Port Authority. Reportedly there was a law firm looking to take a third of the PA tower, but that was back in May...

http://www.observer.com/2008/law-fir...y-bus-terminal
Quote:
High-octane law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison is in negotiations with Vornado Realty Trust to occupy space in the skyscraper that the real estate giant plans to build on top of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

A source close to the negotiations said that the law firm, which now occupies 400,000 square feet at 1285 Avenue of the Americas, wants to take 500,000 square feet in the tower, which isn't expected to be complete until 2012.

I imagine it would be easier, once it's known what the actual building will look like, pretty renderings and all. Eight Avenue has been getting some interesting architecture, we'll see if this one can top the Hearst.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 4:06 PM

i like this...I think it's a good building for the location and it will look ubercool

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 9:15 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Latest rendering from Curbed.com

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 9:22 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Aww, the braces are gone.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 9:29 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

A more simplified boxy tower.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 9:31 PM

Horrible! Can we get KPF's please?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 11:03 PM
New Yorker for life

I feel a little cheated. But, the bracing is there, just different.

_

But I do like the elevator/escalator concept.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 11:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Larger look...and a spire revealed...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 11:19 PM
New Yorker for life

http://panynj.com/AboutthePortAuthor...ex.php?id=1154

ARCHITECT CHOSEN FOR PLANNED OFFICE TOWER ABOVE PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL’S NORTH WING

November 17, 2008

A New York City development team and the Port Authority today announced the selection of a design by a world-renowned architectural firm for a major office tower to be built on top of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The development team 20 X Square Associates, LLC, a joint venture of Vornado Realty Trust and affiliates of Lawrence Ruben Company, announced the selection of architectural firm Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners for construction of the tower and renovations to the bus terminal.

Over the past three decades, Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, formerly Richard Rogers Partnership, has become world renowned and won dozens of international architectural awards. The practice is currently working on major projects around the world, including the British Museum in London, a significant mixed-use development in Seoul, Korea, the design for 175 Greenwich Street at the World Trade Center site and major master plans in London, Granada and Rome.

The proposed air rights development will add approximately 1.3 million square feet of sustainable first-class office space above the terminal and allow for significant improvements to the terminal facility, including new mass transit opportunities for commuters through increased bus capacity and the renovation of approximately 40,000 square feet within the existing North Wing for retail use.

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, “This project will deliver important mass transit benefits for hundreds of thousands of daily commuters. Today’s challenging economy imposes a premium on spending public funds responsibly, and this partnership with the private sector enables the Port Authority to meet its ambitious transportation goals for the region.”

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, “These are the kinds of creative partnerships that we need more of, particularly during such challenging economic times. Not only will it add to the revitalization of the West Side, but most importantly, it will help modernize one of the most critical transportation hubs in the region – transforming the 60-year-old bus facility by adding new transportation capacity, easy to access bus gates, high quality retail and other customer amenities.”

In addition to the office tower, the redevelopment will include:

-better pedestrian circulation with new escalators from gates to the ground floor;

-the renovation and creation of approximately 40,000 square feet of bus terminal retail;

-18 new bus gates and upgraded existing gates, enabling an additional 70 buses containing approximately 3,000 bus passengers to be accommodated during each peak hour at the bus terminal, increasing the capacity by 18 percent; and

-an improved and modernized appearance throughout the terminal.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal opened in 1950 and has become the busiest bus passenger facility in the world, handling 7,000 buses and 200,000 commuters each day. It includes 223 bus gates, retail and commercial space, and public parking for 1,250 vehicles. It provides bus service for travel in the New York-New Jersey region, as well as long-distance service to almost any point in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Since it opened, more than three billion passengers have used this terminal.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 4:39 AM

Looks like the Chase Manhattan building's deconstructivist brother. take off a floor and they're the same height too. It's a 7.5 scratching an 8 in my book. I liked the KPF building to be honest. That was a sharp looking tower.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:17 AM
Everywhere all at once

The base in the new rendering reminds me so much of the Centre Pompidou in Paris ...I still like it. The escalators are awesome. That's the first thing I'm checking out when the building is done.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:18 AM
Desert Dweller

Thats seriously ugly, I want the original bracing back! And of course a totally uneeded spire.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 1:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
The base in the new rendering reminds me so much of the Centre Pompidou in Paris ...I still like it. The escalators are awesome. That's the first thing I'm checking out when the building is done.
Get in line buddy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz
Looks like the Chase Manhattan building's deconstructivist brother.
Good call on Chase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
And of course a totally uneeded spire.
I could do without the spire also. It's too thin for one thing, and doesn't really relate to the building. Maybe its just a nod to the Times tower.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 2:39 PM

oh yea forgot about the spire....now it doesn't resemble the Chase building at all!

i wonder if the 855 is spire height making this thing really 750 feet or so.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
oh yea forgot about the spire....now it doesn't resemble the Chase building at all!

More like that fact that it already sitting on top of the bus terminal is what makes it 855ft from street level. Does look more like a 750ft bldg., which is not a complaint on my part.

On another note! I wish it would remain the more daring version that was first submitted. I suspect engineering and maintenance cost probably contributed to it simplification. Still will make a wonderful addition to 42nd street and also 8th Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:00 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Too bad the value engineered out the cool bracing, but it is a decent looking tower. And the base is freaking awesome.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:27 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

I honestly don't have much if a problem with the latest design. Think of what's there now and that is truly horrendous. Walking down the bus terminal is like walking down a dark alley and being affraid of getting mugged. Regardless of the tower's design, it is a vast improvement from the current site.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:46 PM

The structure lacks clarity.
Maybe it's intentional ?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
I doubt it, at least according to the rendering and project description.

The offices only begin at 150 feet (above the current bus station, supports, and a skylobby), which would mean the entire new structure would only be 600 feet or so, which is almost impossible for a modern 42 floor office tower, especially with space for trading floors.

Also, the two buildings to the right of the rendering look puny compared to the new tower. The building on the far right is over 600 feet, so (assuming the rendering is somewhat accurate) there's no way the new office tower is only 750 feet.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 12:37 AM
"Think about the Future"

I looks WAY OUT OF PLACE, the one thing I hate about Rogers, is his childish and colorful designs that take the class right out of the building. Three WTC escaped this because it needed to be conservative to fill the needs of commercial/business savy tenants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals