HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Close to 9 moths ago, I believe...
I think they did a very short term lease on the space and probably weren't able to turn a profit with the absolutely massive rent that place commanded. You have to sell a heck of a lot of coffee to cover that and frankly competing with starbucks for the business is tough when it's a lot of tourists and suburbanites who frequent the area and only know starbucks.

On another note I see the restaurant at thurlow and haro is up for lease again. That place is another absolutely cursed location.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
my friend who worked at starbucks years ago - early 2000's said the company was going to concentrate on suburban locations so they could have drive thru stores - if anyone has been out to the suburbs the drive thrus at starbucks are always busy
Only reason why suburb folks go to Starbucks is due to a lack of choice. You either go Starbucks or Timmy's. Crappy coffee tastes good when there is no other comparison.

Starbucks would start shutting its doors at the suburbs too when cafes in the likes of JJ Bean, Artigiano, etc start making their way there, if that ever happens.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Only reason why suburb folks go to Starbucks is due to a lack of choice. You either go Starbucks or Timmy's. Crappy coffee tastes good when there is no other comparison.

Starbucks would start shutting its doors at the suburbs too when cafes in the likes of JJ Bean, Artigiano, etc start making their way there, if that ever happens.
I trust the business strategy of those business owners far more than the opinion of some anonymous voice on the internet.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
I think they did a very short term lease on the space and probably weren't able to turn a profit with the absolutely massive rent that place commanded. You have to sell a heck of a lot of coffee to cover that and frankly competing with starbucks for the business is tough when it's a lot of tourists and suburbanites who frequent the area and only know starbucks.

On another note I see the restaurant at thurlow and haro is up for lease again. That place is another absolutely cursed location.
I thought the main reason Starbucks left was the massive spike in lease rates.

It will be interesting to see what ends up there next (and at what lease rate). I'm sure we could see Starbucks again at the right rate. That greedy landlord deserves a few empty months.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I trust the business strategy of those business owners far more than the opinion of some anonymous voice on the internet.
Like the way you said "Im siding with Target on this one?" I'm sure that must be a pretty good business strategy eh?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Like the way you said "Im siding with Target on this one?" I'm sure that must be a pretty good business strategy eh?
I'm stating my opinion. You're claiming the most successful coffee chain in history is going to get beaten by some locally owned private chains, because reasons.

I understand you don't like the coffee, that's your opinion. But Starbucks is a strong business, and it isn't going anywhere.

The stock price has quadrupled in the last 5 years and the dividend has tripled.

In FY14 ending in Sept, they opened 1599 stores around the world.

Now please, keep telling us how they are primed to fall apart soon.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 11:12 PM

I don't drink coffee but i do like the starbucks chai - i've tried it everywhere and i find the starbucks chai to be the best - the oprah chai isn't good though

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm stating my opinion. You're claiming the most successful coffee chain in history is going to get beaten by some locally owned private chains, because reasons.

I understand you don't like the coffee, that's your opinion. But Starbucks is a strong business, and it isn't going anywhere.

The stock price has quadrupled in the last 5 years and the dividend has tripled.

In FY14 ending in Sept, they opened 1599 stores around the world.

Now please, keep telling us how they are primed to fall apart soon.
You totally misconstrued what I said. I never said they would "fall apart". I'm saying Starbucks wouldn't be doing so well if people know better, or have other alternative coffee places to go to, because seriously, I don't find anything of quality at Starbucks, except perhaps their branding and marketing. Food-wise, I would choose Breka over Starbucks. I love my matcha-chillo at Blenz because Starbuck's Frapp is kinda sub-par. For lattes, cappuccinos and hot chocos, I would go to Cafe Artigiano, JJ-Beans, 49th Parallel. For desserts, there's always Faubourg, Thierry's and Papa Roti.

Downtown Vancouver is one prime example of how Starbucks isn't doing as well because there are many better cafes one can frequent. Recently, there have been quite a few closures, something unheard of just a few years ago.

Again, my personal opinion.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I'm saying Starbucks wouldn't be doing so well if people know better, or have other alternative coffee places to go to, because seriously, I don't find anything of quality at Starbucks, except perhaps their branding and marketing.
For most Canadians, Tim Hortons is the de facto coffee chain and Starbucks is the premium, upscale alternative.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Recently, there have been quite a few closures, something unheard of just a few years ago.
It was noted on the forum at the time that the Thurlow & Robson location (SW corner) was closed because Starbucks refused to agree to a demolition clause in its lease (i.e. after spending money to renovate), which the landlord insisted on.

That issue could also arise in other locations too (i.e. the closure may not be based on poor sales)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Downtown Vancouver is one prime example of how Starbucks isn't doing as well because there are many better cafes one can frequent. Recently, there have been quite a few closures, something unheard of just a few years ago.

Quite a few closures? Haha, where? One at Robson/Thurlow due to a well-known lease issue?? As per usual, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Their business downtown is growing and they continue to open stores, even there. This is not my opinion, but rather a fact. Within the last year or two, new locations opened within the Bay, the Alberni Urban Fare, and the Harbour Centre food court, for example.

Last edited by dreambrother808; Jan 17, 2015 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
For most Canadians, Tim Hortons is the de facto coffee chain and Starbucks is the premium, upscale alternative.
Vancouver is different case from rest of Canada: http://globalnews.ca/news/396210/tim...-in-vancouver/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:19 AM

There is a new Tim Hortons opening at Pender and Hornby. How many more coffee shops can still fit in Downtown?

Also, the new Boston Pizza has seemed to be busy in the first few weeks. I am sure their huge screens help to attract people. They have not also built a very large patio for Downtown, which might end up being very popular during summer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:33 AM

Quote:
You totally misconstrued what I said. I never said they would "fall apart". I'm saying Starbucks wouldn't be doing so well if people know better, or have other alternative coffee places to go to, because seriously, I don't find anything of quality at Starbucks, except perhaps their branding and marketing. Food-wise, I would choose Breka over Starbucks. I love my matcha-chillo at Blenz because Starbuck's Frapp is kinda sub-par. For lattes, cappuccinos and hot chocos, I would go to Cafe Artigiano, JJ-Beans, 49th Parallel. For desserts, there's always Faubourg, Thierry's and Papa Roti.

If Blenz started selling Starbucks coffee but telling you it was theirs, you'd have no clue. Coffee is coffee, most of it is all hype and over-paying. Starbucks is the big thing so the anti-trend is just a mental thing.

Don't believe me?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lthy-dish.html

And look up the BullSh!t episode by Penn and Teller bottled water among other to know how a lot of people see a name on something or are told something is 'better' and they buy it when the truth is, it's just BS.

I don't drink at Starbucks heck I don't drink coffee but factually speaking they are well into the category of "doing fine." When you pull in $14.9 billion a year... 1 store downtown closing due to a lease issue is not much to worry about.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:43 AM

I can totally tell the difference between a Blenz mocha and a Starbucks mocha.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:44 AM

Quote:

Not sure about that. I've seen many smaller chain and larger chain coffee shops including Blenz (unless they suck) open and then promptly close shop within a few years in Surrey. Have yet to see a Starbucks close. So is it that folks in the burb have lack of choice or are you going to switch to the folks in the burbs have an unsophisticated pallet argument?

I think the whole overpaying for fancy coffee is ridiculous period but it's part of our culture now and every Starbucks I've ever been in anywhere is pretty much full even when there are like 4 in a 1x1 square block area. Don't think it is because of lack of choice.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I can totally tell the difference between a Blenz mocha and a Starbucks mocha.
In a blind taste test? I have my doubts though you could be one of the rare few that actually can. The majority of people can't. Scientifically speaking, taste is as much a mental exercise as it is actual taste. It's been proven time and time again that our own feelings, biases, history, and memories can affect taste as much if not more than what our actual taste buds can detect.

Only a small percentage of people who are trained and have well developed pallets (we're talking taste testers or say those that work as QA tasters for large companies) can. But your average Joe off the street, even though they may think they do, in a true test they don't.

Like I said, you could be the minority, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since I don't know you. If you are then grats, enjoy.

Back on topic, has anyone here ate at that restaurant owned by Vij in Morgan Crossing, My Shanti? I've heard good things but haven't had a chance to try it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:31 AM

i just found out today kenny g is one of the original investors in starbucks, like 80's investors, he be rolling in the starbucks dough.

starbucks does well in vancouver because it was one of the first cities the chain expanded into even before it expanded into other states and vancouver embraced the coffee thing before most places in canada did and is why vancouver in recent years has had a growing indie coffee scene, seems everyone and their dog is opening a roaster place these days.

people like familiarity and consistency and starbucks delivers on those and the free wifi is a big draw amongst people i know.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:10 AM

Free wifi is such a weird reason to go to Starbucks. Most coffeeshops in Vancouver have free wifi. Tim Hortons has free wifi but getting access to it is too complicated.

Last edited by memememe76; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:19 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I'm sure that Starbucks captures a lot of tourist traffic too. I mean, there are tourists that want to try all the local places sure, but I'm sure many people on vacations go to Starbucks and McDonalds, etc because they know exactly what they'll be getting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining