HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
Why does it have to be a big deal? Only a Toronto forumer would make a big deal out of it. Its not that other cities feel left out, if that is even possible, its the fact that if someone were to make a thread saying, "Tallest Mountains in Canada outside of the rockies" would people from BC and AB say "HEY! You can't do that! The tallest mountains are in BC and AB so everything else is obsolete." No. This thread was about what are the tallest U/C outside of Toronto. Because it is interesting to see what is being built outside of Toronto, and that the rest of the forumers, Toronto included, can come and take a peek at what Vancouver or Edmonton or Montreal are building. Is that a crime? To exclude Toronto for once?
I hate to nitpick but the tallest mountains in Canada are in the Saint Elias Range (mostly Yukon), not in the Rockies.

Anyway, the justification behind the decision to exclude the GTA and only the GTA is pretty weak. What if people want to see what is being built in Victoria or Ottawa? Should a new top 10 thread be made excluding the GTA, GVRD, Calgary, Edmonton, and Montreal? Tallest building rankings are necessarily exclusive and it will always be the case that some cities are not represented.

Last edited by Log1988; Nov 23, 2011 at 1:12 AM. Reason: I lied...I actually love to nitpick.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:13 AM
ARTchitecture

No, you would just create a thread called "Tallest buildings UC in Victoria" or whatever city you want.

This one is about all of Canada outside of Toronto. It's not saying Toronto is bad or doing anything wrong, it's just saying that we'd also like to see other cities represented on the main Canada page.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 10:17 AM
ARTchitecture

Anyone feel like helping me out with my overhaul of Skyscraper Diagrams for Canadian suburban cities?

So far I've only gotten to Burnaby and New Westminster in BC, and... though they're not Suburban, also did a few in Winnipeg and one in Yellowknife. Would like to do Surrey, Mississauga, North Vancouver, and Kelowna(not a Suburb).

Any help would be great, I'm not the greatest at the diagrams but I'm alright

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log1988 View Post
I hate to nitpick but the tallest mountains in Canada are in the Saint Elias Range (mostly Yukon), not in the Rockies.

Anyway, the justification behind the decision to exclude the GTA and only the GTA is pretty weak. What if people want to see what is being built in Victoria or Ottawa? Should a new top 10 thread be made excluding the GTA, GVRD, Calgary, Edmonton, and Montreal? Tallest building rankings are necessarily exclusive and it will always be the case that some cities are not represented.
Thats not nit picking, I clearly needed to be corrected. I need to do more research

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
B.C's tallest mountain
Ontario's tallest mountain.

hehe
Pffft. Respect your elder mountains. They've seen way more action than you young upstarts on the west.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:33 PM

Honestly, I don't see much point in this thread. If we have a thread like this to make sure Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver make it onto a list, we might as well have another thread for smaller cities like Halifax, Regina, Winnipeg, etc..

Canada's ten tallest U/C outside of the GTA, with the exception of Vancouver, Montreal or Calgary.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Honestly, I don't see much point in this thread. If we have a thread like this to make sure Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver make it onto a list, we might as well have another thread for smaller cities like Halifax, Regina, Winnipeg, etc..

Canada's ten tallest U/C outside of the GTA, with the exception of Vancouver, Montreal or Calgary.
Take Winnipeg, Edmonton and Quebec out of there too. They're building structures.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:23 PM
ARTchitecture

Edmonton and Quebec city are part of this thread. Wow, grasping at straws eh?

Winnipeg is considering a new city's tallest which, if constructed will definitely be on the list(as it would be over 128 meters). Skye Halifax and Kings Wharf both have the potential to be included in the list once UC, and unfortunately Saskatchewan doesn't seem to have any prospects over 95 meters right now, but depending on what is UC nationwide by the time parcel Y comes UC, it does have a chance of being included.

All of this manufactured hating on this list is futile. Some people like it. You obviously don't, so don't use it. Why would we stop using it just because you don't like it? Who the hell are you?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:45 PM

my bad, dyslexia?

Last edited by Symz; Nov 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:52 PM
ARTchitecture

That's what he was saying haha!

If my memory serves right... they are one of the oldest, if not the oldest mountain chain yet detected on Earth. I know the oldest rocks ever found are from the Laurentians. Like 3.7 billion years I think! Craziness.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 9:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quebec's tallest (mt. Iberville) aka Mt. Caubvick (Newfoundland & Labrador's tallest; right on border). A badass mountain.

papabear_torngats
[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 9:39 PM

I had no idea! Looks rugged.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 9:53 PM
bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Take Winnipeg, Edmonton and Quebec out of there too. They're building structures.
You've got a knack for coming across as a total prick, dawg.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah no doubt eh?
Even though Edmonton and Quebec City are both in the list. Anything the TO forumers can bitch and complain about, they do.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Winnipeg is considering a new city's tallest which, if constructed will definitely be on the list(as it would be over 128 meters).
What?? More info please.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
ARTchitecture

It's just a rumour often mentioned on the Winnipeg page, according to sources on there, it appears to be a valid possibility.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 11:40 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Quebec's tallest (mt. Iberville) aka Mt. Caubvick (Newfoundland & Labrador's tallest; right on border). A badass mountain.

papabear_torngats
[/IMG]

To put that into perspective........the mountain in the middle of the picture below is "Tunnel Mountain" in Banff. It is the same height.....as the one shown above. We dont even put mountain gear on to climb it. lol.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 12:09 AM

Banf is already 1400 meters above sea level. You can add a little less than that above the mountain in your photo for a better idea of what would look like mt. Iberville.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 1:16 AM

Quebec tallest Mont D'Iberville 1652 m

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 1:33 AM
bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
To put that into perspective........the mountain in the middle of the picture below is "Tunnel Mountain" in Banff. It is the same height.....as the one shown above. We dont even put mountain gear on to climb it. lol.
As Robertpuant said, Mt. Iberville/Caubvick is roughly 1000m taller than Tunnel Mountain when you take the height of the surrounding land into account. Tunnel Mountain only rises 300m above the town in that picture.

So that comparison doesn't really put it into perspective at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada