HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:32 AM

I agree it sounds crazy in the heart of the city to oppose a tower but I think this will be anything but a great addition to that part of the Pearl. There is a nice scale on that street in that stretch and its going to bring some of the crap environment of The Lovejoy, Asa and Wyatt to mid-NW 13th. Its looks like a pretty ugly building too with yet another bland façade of trendy spaced windows on a dumb slab. The main issue I have with towers is when everything around them is roughly a certain height and then you have something massively higher, I'm all for stepping up density from its older context but not to such a huge degree (8 stories would be great IMO on the eastern half). Likewise I think the 30+ story towers further north in the Pearl are nuts.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:15 AM

I think I said more or less the same thing a while back, but the environment around Safeway is terrible because those are terrible buildings. The environment around the Brewery Blocks is totally different, despite the similar heights, because those are considered, well-designed buildings.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:33 AM

Pearl Block 136 | 150' | 15 floors | Proposed

Quote:
HEARTWOOD AND SEEDLING (UPDATE)

Perspective rendering of Block 136 proposed central courtyard and its interaction with the street edge (Mithun)

A few more details have emerged on the proposed Block 136 project set to replace the existing PNCA Goodman building next year. The dual buildings have caused a little stir amongst neighboring residents, who mostly oppose the height bonuses the developer, Security Properties, is proposing. The height issue is a little odd for this location as the 150′ proposal is about mid-height for existing Pearl District buildings, will cast no new shadows on nearby Jamison Square, and is fully within right to build with allowable bonuses. Public perception however is still viciously negative, mostly due to the organized opposition creating their own ‘renderings’ of the project that are all grossly misleading as their versions are roughly set at 225-300′ and not 150′ as proposed (for example, note how the 161′ Lovejoy Apartments and 222′ Park Place’s roof lines do not match the perspective whatsoever).
...continues at Places over Time.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:00 PM
A before E

Nimbys can be so stupid, I love how they are freaking out over an urban building being built in an urban neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:26 PM

Per this week's land use intakes, PNCA redevelopment is in for Design Review:

Quote:
Block 136. Two new mixed use buildings with underground parking. 280,000 square feet total.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Per this week's land use intakes, PNCA redevelopment is in for Design Review:
Maccoinnich, I just wanted to say thanks for posting all this intake information!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:09 PM

Thank you. Glad to know people appreciate it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Maccoinnich, I just wanted to say thanks for posting all this intake information!
Yes, you're keeping us all up to date on everything, it's great!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:27 PM

Pearl Block 136 | 150' | 15 floors | Proposed

A I mentioned in the Pearl thread, Block 136 is now in for Design Review, after having gone through the option Design Advice Request process earlier in the year. The Request for Response [PDF, small] was published today. This replaces the PNCA building on NW 13th. Architects are Seattle-based firm Mithun. Here's the proposal:

NW 13th Avenue Building
  • 5 stories
  • Maximum Height of 75’
  • Approximately 15,000 square feet of retail
  • Approximately 60,000 square feet of office
  • An at-grade loading space will be located within the public right-of-way on the east side
    of NW 13th Ave immediately north of the intersection with NW Johnson St
  • Raised dock within the right-of-way, as allowed by the River District ROW standards

NW 12th Avenue Building
  • 15 stories
  • Maximum Height of 150’ (including height bonuses – General Height Bonus
    (33.510.210.D.) and Bonus Height Option for Housing (33.510.210.E.)
  • Maximum FAR allowed (which includes bonuses) is 7:1 and the proposed building
    reaches 7:1
  • Approximately 208 residential flats
  • Total number of parking spaces proposed is 211 spaces in two levels of underground
    parking
  • Parking and loading will be accessed from NW 12th Avenue

I'll post images once they're up on e-files.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:03 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

That looks very nice, and yes, it'll be really good for the area. I'd love to see it from more angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Hear hear! Thank you very much Maccoinnich!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 8:29 PM

Notice of Public Hearing [PDF]. Due before the Design Commission on December 18th.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jul 14, 2017 at 4:39 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:20 AM

Another one to watch! It's like watching a damn large scale erector set all over the city. hah.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM

Design Review drawings [PDF, 78MB].

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 6:26 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Ah, Mithun generally does really nice work.

Kind of a 1st Thursday type rendering eh? Although not nearly enough people!

Renderings from architects' website

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:49 PM

those are stunning graphics. I mean, the renderings almost look real.

I like the buildings, seem to be a good match for the area.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 4:03 PM

Is it me, or have a lot of the new and upcoming building recently been pushing the max height allowable for its location. Is it time the city recognizes that and starts loosening up and letting in some taller buildings?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 6:55 PM

I've had the thought in the past that the whole FAR transfer system is a way to skirt height requirements without directly stoking the ire of NIMBY's. All it takes is a little "FAR reset to enhance density" proclamation to make it a retroactive cheat, which would be wonderfully clever in my opinion.

"They are revising FAR!" is a much less catchy slogan than "This building will ruin the neighborhood!"

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 8:07 PM

The height limits in the Pearl south of Lovejoy are propsed to go up to 250'. North of Lovejoy the heights will remain unlimited. The exception is directly along the historic section of NW 13th, where height limits will go down to 100'. The deal the neighborhood struck is if NW 13th can be preserved with its current character, it's ok to bump up heights elsewhere. A very smart bargain in my opinion.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Nov 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 2:47 AM

Very cool project, I like how it meets the street level and blends with the Pearl's warehouse loading docks, but incorporates a modern glassy tower rather than trying to make that part look "vintage" also. Seems this has been tried a few times and never turns out well. Just preserve the existing historic properties and build some modern stuff to contrast.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
HEARTWOOD AND SEEDLING III

Rendered perspective of the proposed Block 136 development, a mixed-use full block project set to replace the old PNCA building at NW 13th Avenue between Johnson and Kearney (Mithun)

After several months of design advice, discussed here and here, Security Properties and Mithun Architects have now applied for final design review for their Block 136 project in the Pearl District of Portland. The project has now solidified into two buildings above a two story underground parking garage; one with 208 residential units including townhouse style ground floor units, and the other being a 60,000 sq. ft. office building with 15,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail at the 13th Avenue raised sidewalk ‘dock’ level. The lowrise office building will have 5 floors and will be 75′ tall, and the taller tower will be 15 stories and 150 feet.
...continues at Places over Time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland