HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:37 AM

Carbon12 - CLT | xx' | 8 floors | Complete

Remember when we talked talked about Cross Laminated Timber in the Pearl thread? Well looks like Path Architecture might be first firm in Portland to do a multistory building with CLTs. On the Design Commission Agenda for May 7th:

Quote:
Design Advice request for a new mixed-use development with ground floor retail and upper level residential units. The proposal includes eight-stories of cross-laminated timber construction over a concrete basement. The ground floor level contains retail, lobby entrance for residential units above, and access to basement storage, building services and car parking (22 stalls). Residential lobby entrance and vehicular access are located on NE Fremont.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:49 PM

Where?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:57 PM

N Williams and NE Fremont. Across from New Seasons.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:52 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Remember when we talked talked about Cross Laminated Timber in the Pearl thread? Well looks like Path Architecture might be first firm in Portland to do a multistory building with CLTs. On the Design Commission Agenda for May 7th:

This is amazing news, I hope this leads to a huge new trend in Portland with this building style of architecture. And it will be 8 stories tall??!! That is seriously going to be a bold move forward for Portland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:19 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This is amazing news, I hope this leads to a huge new trend in Portland with this building style of architecture. And it will be 8 stories tall??!! That is seriously going to be a bold move forward for Portland.
Can you folks expand on this a bit, for a layperson?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:26 AM

Quote:
This is extremely exciting! I'd love to see a crop of 8-12 story buildings popping up around town using cross laminated timber. Its use should greatly enhance density and infill possibilities through lower costs.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Can you folks expand on this a bit, for a layperson?
typical stick frame construction (like most single-family houses) is limited to 5 stories in Portland. CLT offers a completely different way to build with wood, and allows for much greater overall height. this article offers a reasonble take on it:

http://portlandtribune.com/sl/236932...es-out-of-wood

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:37 PM

CLT construction is potentially amazing. Currently the tallest wood building in
the world is a CLT structure found in BC by Michael Green Architects. It can be seen here.

He also gave a good TED Talk on it which can be found here.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
N Williams and NE Fremont. Across from New Seasons.
Please let us know if you see a rendering of this!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Please let us know if you see a rendering of this!
I'll be keeping an eye out. There's nothing on efiles yet, but they [normally] post drawings at least a few days before the hearing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:14 PM

Quote:
I'll be keeping an eye out. There's nothing on efiles yet, but they [normally] post drawings at least a few days before the hearing.
Thanks for the information! I appreciate you keeping us all informed. I love reading about new and innovative projects. I would love to see CLT become a design hallmark of Portland density. Maybe make boulevards lined by 10 story lumber structures... Streetcar or MAX below... One can dream. That's how I wish Sandy would evolve. It seems to be stagnant, though :/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 3:46 PM

Regarding Carbon12 (the cross-laminated timber project on N Williams by Path Architecture), I ran across this low-res screenshot of a rendering on a social media site. It shows the 8-story tower portion of the project. It's on N Williams at N Fremont, across from New Seasons.

[I'm going to move this over to North Portland, as it really isn't in Northeast...]

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...140126&page=23

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 3:51 PM

Carbon12 - CLT | xx' | 8 floors | Proposed

Regarding Carbon12 (the cross-laminated timber project on N Williams by Path Architecture), I ran across this low-res screenshot of a rendering on a social media site. It shows the 8-story tower portion of the project. It's on N Williams at N Fremont, across from New Seasons.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroon View Post

That looks really awesome. I hope it gets built and becomes a trend.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:26 PM

To be pedantic, you were correct the first time. Williams is the dividing line between N and NE.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
To be pedantic, you were correct the first time. Williams is the dividing line between N and NE.
After I moved the posting, I double-checked and sure enough, the east side of N Williams is in NE Portland, and the west side in N Portland.

In theory, it'd be great if these forums were broken up by neighborhood or business districts (ie: "N Wililams / N Vancouver Corridor" and "SE Division" etc)

Anyway, it's probably better to keep it in the North Portland thread, where all the other N Williams development is currently located.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:15 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
That looks really awesome. I hope it gets built and becomes a trend.
That does look awesome, and I also hope this becomes a building trend in the city. Love to see a bunch of 6-12 story CLT buildings going up all over the city, and even surrounding areas in the metro.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That does look awesome, and I also hope this becomes a building trend in the city. Love to see a bunch of 6-12 story CLT buildings going up all over the city, and even surrounding areas in the metro.
I'm all for building taller. I'd love to see a 50 plus story in town but 8 stories is a little tall for this area. Imagine being in a single family house right next to it. Let's keep 8 story buildings in commercial areas and in the central city. Between the Lloyd District, central eastside, nw Portland, conway, etc...there is plenty of land elsewhere for it. This just isn't appropriate and will just be used to unite the anti-growth foes.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
I'm all for building taller. I'd love to see a 50 plus story in town but 8 stories is a little tall for this area. Imagine being in a single family house right next to it. Let's keep 8 story buildings in commercial areas and in the central city. Between the Lloyd District, central eastside, nw Portland, conway, etc...there is plenty of land elsewhere for it. This just isn't appropriate and will just be used to unite the anti-growth foes.
I would be overjoyed if this were built next to my house. I'm not a ninny that bought a house close to city center and expected it to not get development. Any cries about height are so frustrating. This should go in at height. We should be fighting for more, not less. Appeasing tyrants is a dangerous game.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:45 PM

The site was rezoned in 2013 from R1 to RX, at the request of the property owner. This gives them a substantial height increase. This was fought by the neighbors all the way to LUBA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland