HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:15 PM

I agree, the re-design technically ignores the memorial and looks dull in appearance, and its main architectural features face away from the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
the sloping on foster's design was the most important part of the complex, architecturally speaking, in my opinion. The sloped roof brings the entire complex together by facing toward the memorial. It also was the only break in a chain of four flat-roofed buildings.

Literally the only thing big needs to do is slope the roof to the southeast a little bit. It is a tiny change but it is absolutely vital

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:16 PM
BANNED

If This

+

Had a Bastard Love Child

It Would Be This

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:19 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
I agree, the re-design technically ignores the memorial and looks dull in appearance, and its main architectural features face away from the site.
Exactly. Dull is a good word. It would even look better if they turned the building around, with the grassy steps leading up from the memorial. But that wouldn't work because the foundation was designed to place all the weight of the building right at the front

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:20 PM

So True! Unoriginal Architect Inspired by Bland Design; makes me wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
If This

+

Had a Bastard Love Child

It Would Be This

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:22 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Nothing alike. Absolutely nothing. Try harder.

The great video that shows why this will be the best of the WTC towers.

Video Link

At the top of the tower when they raise the screen to reveal the skyline reminds me of the trip to the top of the Freedom Tower.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2015/0...ldings/395483/

Quote:
Whereas 1 World Trade, as well as the prior design for 2 WTC by Norman Foster, featured sharp angles and sleek surfaces, the BIG tower is a stack of blocky volumes. One that threatens to outshine the Freedom Tower.

http://m.fastcompany.com/3047236/fas...de-center-site

Quote:
For years now, Larry Silverstein, the 84-year-old real estate developer who leased the Twin Towers before their destruction, has been trying to get Two World Trade Center built. He commissioned Foster back when it was believed that the anchor tenant of 2 WTC would be a bank. But as Manhattan's Financial District has been taken over by Internet and media companies, the 80-year-old British architect's design has increasingly looked out of touch. When News Corp. signed on as 2 WTC's new anchor tenant, they brought in Ingels (co-designer along with Thomas Heatherwick of the new proposed Googleplex) to give it a fresh look.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 9, 2015 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:26 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You can't possibly be serious! Even 4WTC beats this ... . This looks like a fat copy of Steinway gone wrong.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Exactly. Dull is a good word. It would even look better if they turned the building around, with the grassy steps leading up from the memorial. But that wouldn't work because the foundation was designed to place all the weight of the building right at the front
Dude - your are totally on the money. If this has to be the final design for WTC 2, why not flip it around to be more befitting of the site? At the end of the day, the cost of redoing the foundation is probably minuscule to the overall cost of the project.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:27 PM

I retract my previous comments. Always Gotta Think On The Bright Side. Be Glad We are Getting another Tower to be Built on this Site. Build this marvel and Move On!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
You can't possibly be serious! Even 4WTC beats this ... . This looks like a fat copy of Steinway gone wrong.
Quote:
^ Nothing alike. Absolutely nothing. Try harder.

Video Link
Still not convinced. Also not to be all nationalistic, but couldn't they have gotten an American to narrate the film?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Terraces? With trees? At the WTC?? Uniting the streetscapes of TriBeCa with FiDi? This guy has lost it!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Terraces? With trees? At the WTC?? Uniting the streetscapes of TriBeCa with FiDi? This guy has lost it!
Yeah, I was thinking he seemed high on estacy and was waiting for him to start pelvic thrusting the site where this albatross is to be built.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

God that is horrifying, and please tell me Fox News isnt going to have a ticker spouting their bs all over the building, please tell me thats not the case.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:42 PM
New Yorker for life

^ BTW, getting into politics is automatic deletion. Don't do it.

Quote:

I am absolutely serious. I would question if you guys are blind or just hurt over the loss of the Foster design. I expected outrage over the design change. And I liked Foster's design as well. But I am much more practical over what the site has become. And if Foster's tower had lost it's diamond shaped summit, what else can you show me that was far superior to this sesign?

When the dust settles, and reality sinks in, I think a lot of you will look back over some of these statements and realize just how silly they are. In the meantime, carry on. Let's see who can outdo who in level of ridiculousness...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
God that is horrifying, and please tell me Fox News isnt going to have a ticker spouting their bs all over the building, please tell me thats not the case.
This is the new no-spin zone.

I don't mind the design. Just that one view if looking from the North. But its affect on the harbor view is okay. If anything. the idea that fox propaganda will be visible is the worst part of it. But its a solid supertall. Site need to finish.

But New Yorkers know better, and won't head any attention to the Hannity spewing, racist, vile, provincial, backwards propaganda.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
H

3 WTC did not lose its spires.

This tower is stunning. This is much taller than and a million times better than Salesforce, Wilshire Grand, and Wanda Chicago, yet SF, LA, and Chi are creaming over those towers.

Houston, Dallas, Atl., Charlotte, Denver, and Austin are creaming over lame 20 story boxes. Cinci, Phoenix, New Orleans, etc would be jubilant if a 20 story box were proposed for their cities.

If this tower was proposed for London -- at half the height -- it would already have some dopey nickname.

Only in the greatest city in the world could someone find fault with this masterpiece. If one of those horrible Dubai-style towers (but for the Burj) were rising here, I'd be upset, but this thing is stunning.

1. Nordstrom 1,500'+
2. Steinway 1,430'
3. One Vandy 1,415'
4. 432 Park 1,398'
5. Time Warner 1,280'
6. Park Lane 1,250'
7. Verre 1,050'
8. Girasole 1,050'
9. 35 HY 1,050'

This is the Age of Ramses, lads!
Nordstrom is 1,550! I do believe 3 lost its spires, though.

Coming up: 50 Hudson, Tishman's spire, 80 South, 360 10th, 335 Madison, et al!

So many future supertalls.

You are the man, JR! The Age of Ramses! I love it!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
I am absolutely serious. I would question if you guys are blind or just hurt over the loss of the Foster design. I expected outrage over the design change. And I liked Foster's design as well. But I am much more practical over what the site has become. And if Foster's tower had lost it's diamond shaped summit, what else can you show me that was far superior to this sesign?

When the dust settles, and reality sinks in, I think a lot of you will look back over some of these statements and realize just how silly they are. In the meantime, carry on. Let's see who can outdo who in level of ridiculousness...
Yes, the diamonds where the distinctive feature of Foster's 2WTC. You're right: scrapping the diamonds would have made a boring tower. But that was never the intention.

This new design with its terraces, trees and what not doesn't fit FiDi and especially the WTC. Leave hipster designs to Tribeca, but please don't mess up the WTC site which should have broad, massive and classy towers.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:48 PM

Exclamation Brilliant.

I Love It.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
H

3 WTC did not lose its spires.

This tower is stunning. This is much taller than and a million times better than Salesforce, Wilshire Grand, and Wanda Chicago, yet SF, LA, and Chi are creaming over those towers.

Houston, Dallas, Atl., Charlotte, Denver, and Austin are creaming over lame 20 story boxes. Cinci, Phoenix, New Orleans, etc would be jubilant if a 20 story box were proposed for their cities.

If this tower was proposed for London -- at half the height -- it would already have some dopey nickname.

Only in the greatest city in the world could someone find fault with this masterpiece. If one of those horrible Dubai-style towers (but for the Burj) were rising here, I'd be upset, but this thing is stunning.

1. Nordstrom 1,500'+
2. Steinway 1,430'
3. One Vandy 1,415'
4. 432 Park 1,398'
5. Time Warner 1,280'
6. Park Lane 1,250'
7. Verre 1,050'
8. Girasole 1,050'
9. 35 HY 1,050'

This is the Age of Ramses, lads!
Seriously, are people in LA, SF, and Chi freaking out over the horrible additions to their skylines?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Also not to be all nationalistic, but couldn't they have gotten an American to narrate the film?
A decent attempt. But I think you will fall short for the ridiculousness award...

Who's next? Plenty of candidates...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I can't wait to watch Megyn and Kimberly ring in the new year from their new offices at Two World Trade Center!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction