HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I understand, but in reality they aren't even close to designer. The materials they use aren't very good quality - go to Saks, Barneys, or a boutique and just try on the clothing from a brand that's been around for awhile like Armani, Theory, Prada, Gucci, etc. You will instantly notice a vast difference and how comfortable they are. The difference between designer clothing and brands like Gap are utterly instant once you're used to actual designer clothing.

Also, you can definitely get a pair of pants at Gap for less than $70.
I've honestly never even really gone into many of those stores. I've been in Prada, out of boredom and as a joke; fuck that place. The prices are comedically insane.

And yes. I go to Gap, but I only buy stuff on sale. $70 is the regular price for those silly skinny "lived in" khakis they're selling right now.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I've honestly never even really gone into many of those stores. I've been in Prada; fuck that place. The prices are comedically insane.

And yes. I go to Gap, but only buy stuff on sale. $70 pants is the regular price for those silly skinny "lived in" khakis they're selling right now.
Some of the places are definitely insane - like Prada. I don't like going to those places because the workers are pretentious beyond belief. Some stores though they aren't. Seriously, go into Saks and pretend like you're buying. Have an associate pick out some stuff for you and say you want comfort. Just try a few on and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, what people don't realize about places like Saks and the fashion industry is that every collection (i.e. Seasons - Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter) is out of season/fashion once they transition to the next season (i.e. Fall from summer) . So usually they have big 50 - 75% off (or sometimes more) sales at this time when they're transitioning from one collection to the next. I've gotten $200 shirts and pants before for $50 only because they needed to get rid of their stock and there's a lot of people who don't buy "last year's collection." In reality, most of the stuff is not going out of fashion anytime soon. I have gotten $150 stuff for under $40 before there too. I have stuff from 5-7 years ago that still looks like I bought it yesterday.

You just have to know when they're doing it and don't show up late because when people in the know like me want this stuff, we go and get the really good stuff. They also have other sales all the time - around holidays for example you'll find 50% off quite a bit. Not everything in Saks is ridiculously expensive. There are designers they have that the regular price of shirts is under $100. Get that on a 75% off sale and you'll be getting stuff for under $25. You can also go to the Fashion Outlets near O'Hare which has pretty discounted actual designer stuff too.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:27 AM
THAT Guy

Too funny not to post

http://parkridge.suntimes.com/2014/0...an-commission/

20-story Park Ridge apartment proposal criticized by plan commission
Quote:
Kirkby called the plan “preposterous” and compared the design to something that might be found in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood or in Dubai.

Worst copy and paste ever.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Please clarify what you mean by "stuff from City Council"?

My assumption is that if these proposals have already made it to the City Council they have been approved.
No, it just means that they have been submitted for a vote. Usually this means the developer already has the local alderman's support, because otherwise there's no way it would pass.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No, it just means that they have been submitted for a vote. Usually this means the developer already has the local alderman's support, because otherwise there's no way it would pass.
Yes, they introduce the proposed zoning changes to city council which then sends them to the zoning committee. Then next month the zoning committee considers them and sends the ones they approve back to city council for a final rubber stamp vote which makes the zoning changes law. The committee won't even consider a proposed change unless you have a letter of support from the alderman. I was just at the zoning committee meeting on Monday and got my very first zoning change approved. It's been an interesting process to say the least.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:19 PM

Im glad I've heard and shopped at uniqlo before. I guess I'm not totally irrelevant when it comes to shopping!!!.... as I also wear chicago team apparel on regular rotation, and the most expensive piece of clothing I own is a Blackhawks jersey or else a winter coat if that counts.

Thanks for the updates ardecila, things are really picking up momentum.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:53 PM

Quote:
That's awesome. What was the turn around time? I assume they have more than just a few tailors working at their busy stores then unlike some of the higher end boutiques and stores?
FYI, Mildblend in Wicker Park does the same thing while you check out. Won't buy my jeans anywhere else.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:44 PM

Uniquo

Regarding the store, even if the Michigan Avenue storefront is not that big, the space is nonetheless being developed into the second biggest in the USA. So, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Nice, I didn't think the Pizzuti proposal for 1031 W. Van Buren. was going to get the aldermanic go ahead! Nice to see taller buildings creeping west along the Ike.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:35 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I understand, but in reality they aren't even close to designer. The materials they use aren't very good quality - go to Saks, Barneys, or a boutique and just try on the clothing from a brand that's been around for awhile like Armani, Theory, Prada, Gucci, etc. You will instantly notice a vast difference and how comfortable they are.
More than that, they usually use fabric that is spun better and will wear better and feel more comfortable and, incidentally, often wrinkle less simply because of the quality of the thread used and the better weaving process. I like inexpensive shirts as much as the next guy, but I have high end (not their discount lines) Hugo Boss and Ted Baker shirts that have lasted me over a decade even though I wear them frequently and they still look like new. I bought them at steep discounts during seasonal sales, but they retailed for around $150-200+ each during their season. Shirts that retail for $50 or less usually don't last me more than 2-3 years until they look frayed enough that I either donate them or repurpose them into work shirts. Ben Sherman has pretty good shirts that are commonly findable for $50 discounted that are a good value for quality, performance, price and style, in my opinion.

Quote:
Some of the places are definitely insane ...

Also, what people don't realize about places like Saks and the fashion industry is that every collection (i.e. Seasons - Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter) is out of season/fashion once they transition to the next season (i.e. Fall from summer) .
I have gotten $150 stuff for under $40 before there too. I have stuff from 5-7 years ago that still looks like I bought it yesterday.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Nice, I didn't think the Pizzuti proposal for 1031 W. Van Buren. was going to get the aldermanic go ahead! Nice to see taller buildings creeping west along the Ike.
d'accord

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:39 PM

At the risk of being called a pedant, I'll go ahead and say that I'm not so sure that Clark and Archer is Chinatown.

By the way, I noticed a soil testing rig in the fenced-off plot on the SE corner of Michigan and Cermak. I know that the SW corner of Indiana and Cermak is the target location of the McHugh data center and hotel project, but there is an alley between these two parcels. Could it be the same project or something else entirely?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:46 PM

Trib says a second Shake Shack location will be in the Chicago Athletic Association hotel coming soon to Michigan and Madison. That building doesn't currently have any ground level retail. I hope they don't have to blast too many holes in the facade to create some. It's very pretty as-is.

(images from Curbed)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:57 PM

This latest 5 story chinatown hotel at the NW corner of Clark and Archer is not the same location as See Wong's previous 15 story proposal is it? I think that was at the SW corner. I wonder if he still owns the property.

I liked that proposal, so Im hoping that it is still a possibility, even though its been about 5 years since it was last mentioned here.

(image from chicagoismynewblog)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:57 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
At the risk of being called a pedant, I'll go ahead and say that I'm not so sure that Clark and Archer is Chinatown.
Given that it's 1/2 block from the Chinatown Red Line station and a block from Chinese restaurants that are clearly part of Chinatown, I think it's fairly safe to let the hotel describe itself with "Chinatown."

Also, other than the senior housing there, there are a lot of Chinese people living in the new and newish construction along Clark and Archer and State in the vicinity.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:10 PM

The Chinese are taking over the entire SW side. At the zoning committee meeting on Monday there were at least half a dozen different projects in the Bridgeport and McKinnley Park area that were being done by Chinese developers. Alderman Reilly actually asked one of the developers specifically about the recent boom of Chinese SFH's down there and then congratulated them on their success. I guess he's happy to see SFH's instead of skyscrapers...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
[*]Warren Baker's redevelopment of Lincoln Centre at Lincoln/Altgeld. 12 stories, 225 units, 186 parking. SCB design is boring by downtown standards but crazy modern for Lincoln Park.

Nope, not a chance.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:07 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post

If this has materials like Catalyst, it will be so. fucking. sweet.

I love how the left hand side of the building pulls up from the base on pilotis to extend the "zig zag" and give covered outdoor space.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:

I love how the left hand side of the building pulls up from the base on pilotis to extend the "zig zag" and give covered outdoor space.
Yeah that is one sweet looking building.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:27 PM

I'd like to see a render of the Van Buren building where it's not so dark. I want to see what they think it'll look like when it's the middle of the day.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:

Or even better if it were stainless steel and dark, smoked, glass. This design has lots of potential, I trust it will turn out well since it's Arqui.

More importantly this has the potential to ruin the day of every NIMBY within a 1 mile radius. Just think of the shadows!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development