HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I asked a suit on site who said they were relocating utilities then bracing the foundation next door and then foundation construction would commence.
Right, but what then? Would they be doing the foundation work without having financing in place to build the tower? And why is the permit for the utility and foundation work only?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:54 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Right, but what then? Would they be doing the foundation work without having financing in place to build the tower? And why is the permit for the utility and foundation work only?
If I was a business man, I would not be putting a shovel in the ground without all of the financing in place. It just doesn't make sense. Also, the foundation work for 582 ft structure is going to be substantially deep and intricate. Once they dig and pour the mat slab, I highly doubt they are going to back fill and make it a parking lot. It just doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
all the new towers are getting foundation permits first. Apparently that is totally separate from building permit. Same sort of permit was pulled for 1601 Vine and One Water Street. I suspect the buildings themselves arent necessarily 100% designed at this point.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 8:19 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...rwood-ceo.html
It's
Executive shake-up at Starwood. Interim CEO seems to be Philly-connected.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 8:43 PM
BANNED

has anyone been by there in last few days to see what is going on? still doing utility work (we think) in that small hole near the Ritz carlton??

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
It's
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
He also served as CEO of the Philadelphia 76ers from 2011 through 2013.
I hope he does for Starwood what he did for the 2011-13 Sixers. I'm always leery about a change in leadership, but his conference call apparently directly talked about speeding up the number of hotels in development, so it sounds good.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 1:35 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
has anyone been by there in last few days to see what is going on? still doing utility work (we think) in that small hole near the Ritz carlton??
Ask and you shall receive. I got there as early as I could to take the pics. Sorry they are so dark. I was very curious about what they are doing as well.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
It's
Can anyone explain how this would impact the W/Element? I'm not sure how exactly new hotel development works in relationship between developers and the hotel brands, but I don't think a hotel company's management has much impact on individual locations. I believe it's a similar arrangement to a franchise. Do they provide any financing? Or is it the operator that pays the hotel for use of its brand?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 8:01 PM
BANNED

unfortunately, the sign near the entrance to the lot does indicate this is a temporary closure, so construction may be months away. I suppose the survey work being done now is needed to finalize aspects of the foundation or utility designs for the building and they will reopen the lot to keep the money flowing while the pre-construction activity wraps up. No wonder the guard booths haven't been touched.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 8:20 PM

Quote:
unfortunately, the sign near the entrance to the lot does indicate this is a temporary closure, so construction may be months away. I suppose the survey work being done now is needed to finalize aspects of the foundation or utility designs for the building and they will reopen the lot to keep the money flowing while the pre-construction activity wraps up. No wonder the guard booths haven't been touched.
Sigh . . . the iron fence remains as well. I sensed thatthis was temporary given that the fence has remained standing.

Blenfest, what's going on? You're killing us.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Sigh . . . the iron fence remains as well. I sensed thatthis was temporary given that the fence has remained standing.

Blenfest, what's going on? You're killing us.
Not that this isn't just a temporary closure, but I still think it's misleading--if not, in fact, inappropriate or improper--to put up the new-format L&I "WORK IN PROGRESS" sign implying that this building is now actually under construction, if that's not the case. As I stated earlier, that wouldn't be consistent with either the letter or the spirit of the legal requirements for those signs, and the intent behind those requirements, in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 9:13 PM

Permit Number 563657

Application Type NEW CONSTRUCTION PERMIT

Permit Type ANC-FOUNDATION

Status ACTIVE

Date Issued November 12, 2014

Last Updated February 13, 2015

Work Description REMOVAL OF PARKING SURFACE AND MISC ITEMS, BULK EXCAVATION OF BLDGS BASEMENT AND THE INSTALLATION OF TEMPORARY EXCAVATION SUPPORT SYSTEMS AND TIE BACK INDERPINNING. INSTALLATION OF BLDGS MAT SLAB FOUNDATION.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 12:36 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Not trying to derail this thread again, but I noticed that Endy's opened at like 1515 Chestnut in what looks like a smaller place. I doubt we'll see it again on the corner, but I guess it's possible.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Not trying to derail this thread again, but I noticed that Endy's opened at like 1515 Chestnut in what looks like a smaller place. I doubt we'll see it again on the corner, but I guess it's possible.
The move to the middle of the block is indeed permanent. It's hard to tell because it's so cold and there is scaffolding on the sidewalk but loitering has seemed nonexistent at the new location even during the hours when it was busiest right after school lets out.

They hardly moved but just getting off that highly visible corner seems like it will put to bed the "problem" with that Wendy's.

Shame about the W. Oh well. A month ago I felt like it would never happen. Even if they do reopen the parking lot, the fact that they're even doing this work has me much more optimistic than I was previously. I'll gladly wait as long as this beauty is eventually built.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Not that this isn't just a temporary closure, but I still think it's misleading--if not, in fact, inappropriate or improper--to put up the new-format L&I "WORK IN PROGRESS" sign implying that this building is now actually under construction, if that's not the case. As I stated earlier, that wouldn't be consistent with either the letter or the spirit of the legal requirements for those signs, and the intent behind those requirements, in my opinion.
Well hopefully before end of spring something will happen at this site. It's going to be odd to see the permit signs up while the parking lot continues to operate for several more months.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Well hopefully before end of spring something will happen at this site. It's going to be odd to see the permit signs up while the parking lot continues to operate for several more months.
IF that even occurs. I'm still not convinced that the parking lot will be reopening.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:36 PM

Abbonizio has to sheet and shore to dig about 50 feet below the present sidewalk elevations, on the property lines. This is going to take some time; the last time I checked, the plan was that the excavation will be braced with big steel pipe struts from north to south at two or three levels for the west half of the site, and there is a lot of underpinning needed for the Ritz Hotel to the north, and to the east for the old Girard Bank Dome Building that will demand careful (and slow) work. Look for utility relocation to happen in the near term, then stripping of the asphalt and some fill removal, then soldier pile drilling, followed by bulk excavation. As the dig down, they will install wood lagging, and big-ass steel beam walers from pile to pile, and add the pipe struts, then go lower, and repeat the process. It's gonna take time!!!! Be patient! It may be 5 to 7 months of excavation before the mat construction actually begins.....then more than a year to top off. Please keep in mind that this is all a guestimate on my part based on the bidding process, Tutor-Perini may have some tricks up their sleeve to beat this guess of a schedule.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSMADCONC View Post
Abbonizio has to sheet and shore to dig about 50 feet below the present sidewalk elevations, on the property lines. This is going to take some time; the last time I checked, the plan was that the excavation will be braced with big steel pipe struts from north to south at two or three levels for the west half of the site, and there is a lot of underpinning needed for the Ritz Hotel to the north, and to the east for the old Girard Bank Dome Building that will demand careful (and slow) work. Look for utility relocation to happen in the near term, then stripping of the asphalt and some fill removal, then soldier pile drilling, followed by bulk excavation. As the dig down, they will install wood lagging, and big-ass steel beam walers from pile to pile, and add the pipe struts, then go lower, and repeat the process. It's gonna take time!!!! Be patient! It may be 5 to 7 months of excavation before the mat construction actually begins.....then more than a year to top off. Please keep in mind that this is all a guestimate on my part based on the bidding process, Tutor-Perini may have some tricks up their sleeve to beat this guess of a schedule.
Thanks, that's quite informative (as you always are). But do you know if the current plan (as you saw and recall it) includes a lull in excavation activity that would allow for the parking lot to temporarily reopen (i.e., between utility relocation and asphalt stripping, etc.)?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Sure, happens all the time

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 1:24 AM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive