HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:47 PM

Pending environmental assessment, Maritime Launch Services will begin building the Canso Spaceport in the spring of 2018.
Lindsay Construction has been chosen to oversee launch site construction.

http://www.maritimelaunch.com/

http://www.guysboroughjournal.com/article1.php?ID=301

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 1:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Doesn't this belong in the Atlantic Canada Spaceport Thread?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 3:25 PM

An update on St. John's International Airport expansion:

The East expansion to the terminal will be open on June 4th. This will essentially double (and possibly even more) the size of the departures lounge, which if anyone has ever had the displeasure of being in for any length of time will know it's small, cramped, and extremely boring; there's nothing in there! Currently, your food and beverage options in the departures lounge is a Tim Hortons express, Jumping Bean coffee, and vending machines (AND NO BAR). That's about to change:

Along with the Tim Hortons and Jumping bean, there will now be a sit-in Yellowbelly restaurant (brewpub with craft beer) and a Newfoundland Chocolate Company coffee shop and retail store, along with one currently unnamed fast food restaurant, one unnamed coffee shop (probably Starbucks), and one unnamed retail store (liquid assets was looking into opening at the airport). As well, there will be a duty free shop.

Once the East Expansion is complete, the West Expansion will begin which will further expand the size of the airport.

All the details:http://stjohnsairport.com/expansion-yyt/

YYT has always been a nice airport, but one that was way too small and pretty boring if you have to spend any amount of time in it. I feel bad for folk who were stuck for endless hours in the departures lounge waiting on delayed flights in the fog before the CATIII system was installed on runways 11 and 29.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:27 PM
ハルウララ

YSJ passenger volume up 20.70% over December of last year. 2017 passenger volume up 5.21% over 2016.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 10:40 PM

https://www.frederictonairport.ca/La...new-brunswick/

About the same in Fredericton (5 percent growth), but this was just 3rd quarter stats. Porter will bump it up more I assume.

I fly regularly and am praying this soon leads to a few jet bridges someday soon.

Fingers crossed

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:51 PM

I don't think I've ever passed through the terminal at the Fredericton airport... I'm assuming it's ground-level gates like YSJ?

They would both need some major renovations to install and elevated boarding bridge. I'd love to see it, though! And it would, I assume, go a long way toward making the airports more appealing for larger planes (though even with volumes going up I don't imagine we quite have the traffic to support those yet except maybe for vacation flights).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
I don't think I've ever passed through the terminal at the Fredericton airport... I'm assuming it's ground-level gates like YSJ?

They would both need some major renovations to install and elevated boarding bridge. I'd love to see it, though! And it would, I assume, go a long way toward making the airports more appealing for larger planes (though even with volumes going up I don't imagine we quite have the traffic to support those yet except maybe for vacation flights).
Right, YFC is all ground level at the moment, but it is in desperate need for expansion to handle the traffic it is getting now. They have all the ducks lined up for the expansion (no jetways planned, all gates are still ground level but I believe they are planning a second floor public observation lounge), they just need the governments to figure out how best to fund it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CYQM press release:

Passenger traffic increases in 2017 at Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport, resulting in second-best year on record
JANUARY 16, 2018

DIEPPE, NB – Passenger traffic at the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) increased in 2017, resulting in its second-best year on record. In 2017, 665,630 passengers travelled through YQM, a 1.3% increase over 2016 (657,272). Passengers flew on YQM’s main airline partners, including Air Canada Express, the airline offering the most frequency from Greater Moncton, as well as Porter and WestJet. The increase was also linked to WestJet adding frequency and seat capacity to Toronto, which represented a 6.5% year over year increase or 6,661 passengers. Another airline with remarkable growth was Sunwing, with a 9.6% increase for a total of over 30,000 passengers.

http://cyqm.ca/news/passenger-traffi...ear-on-record/

It should be noted that although this may only be the "second" best year on record, the "best" year had artificially inflated numbers due to charter traffic to Fort MacMurray (before the oil collapse). Since the current traffic volume doesn't have this added bonus, in many ways, the current numbers reflect the real ongoing increasing strength in the core traffic at YQM.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 16, 2018 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reposted from the Fredericton thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
https://www.frederictonairport.ca/La...s-new-heights/

Fredericton International Airport’s Growth Soars to New Heights

"The Fredericton International Airport had its busiest year ever in 2017, with 397,741 passengers travelling through the terminal. That is a 5.23 per cent increase over the previous year, and the airport’s eighth consecutive year of record-breaking growth."
The FIA is outpacing YSJ by an increasing margin and is closing the gap with YQM. Its becoming clear that the main competitor for YQM in terms of passenger traffic in NB is the Fredericton International Airport.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:57 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Fredericton is YFC

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Fredericton is YFC
I know, I was just using FIA as an abbreviation for Fredericton International Airport. I actually prefer GMIA over YQM, but now that its GMRBIA I find it too unwieldily to use........

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Passenger volumes by airport (NB) - 2017

YQM - 665,630 (50.2%)
YFC - 397,741 (30.0%)
YSJ - 263,719 (19.9%)

So, Moncton can still claim that more passengers use our terminal than both other major airports in the province combined, but just barely. Given the growth at YFC, they might not be able to make this claim again in the future.......

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Passenger volumes by airport (NB) - 2017

YQM - 665,630 (50.2%)
YFC - 397,741 (30.0%)
YSJ - 263,719 (19.9%)

So, Moncton can still claim that more passengers use our terminal than both other major airports in the province combined, but just barely. Given the growth at YFC, they might not be able to make this claim again in the future.......
Great to see growth in all 3 locations. Good for NB! My sources tell me an announcement re the new terminal for FIA should be made shortly.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:01 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I think it's a 5% increase in Moncton not 50% lol. That would be crazy!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:09 PM

Wow! Over the 4 Million mark!

Quote:
Halifax Stanfield Surpasses 4 Million Passenger Milestone – Growth Expected to Continue at Atlantic Canada’s Gateway

POSTED ON JANUARY 25, 2018
Halifax Stanfield surpassed its goal of reaching the four million passenger mark in 2017, by serving 4,083,188 passengers. This is an increase of 4.5 per cent over the record set the previous year of 3,908,799 passengers served.

“We are extremely proud and excited to have reached this significant milestone. It’s reflective of our airport’s ability to grow and adapt in a fast-changing environment, particularly as we expand our role as Atlantic Canada’s Gateway,” says Joyce Carter, Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) President & CEO.

In 2017, Halifax Stanfield was served by 18 scheduled and charter passenger airlines flying to 45 destinations. The airport served an average of 175 flights each day to various points within Canada, the United States, Europe, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Halifax Stanfield has been growing at a phenomenal rate over the last five years, with passenger volume increasing by 13.9 per cent, which equates to an additional half million passengers.

“We will continue to work with airlines and stakeholders to provide our passengers with more travel options, gearing Halifax Stanfield for future growth. The foundation of this work is our shared vision with the provincial government to enhance tourism, trade and immigration,” Joyce Carter further commented.

To celebrate reaching the four million passenger milestone, HIAA will be announcing a contest soon to thank passengers and the community for their ongoing support of Halifax Stanfield.
https://halifaxstanfield.ca/2018/01/...nadas-gateway/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
His numbers were % of NB traffic, not growth.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Based on the articles posted previously:

YQM had a 1.3% increase
YFC had a 5.23% increase
YSJ had a 5.21% increase

So all are doing quite well.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Media Advisory - WestJet announcement in Halifax

CALGARY, Jan. 26, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet, Canada's most trusted airline, is committing to serve its guests in Atlantic Canada more than ever before. On Monday, January 29, the airline will unveil a new adventure out of Halifax and members of the media are invited to attend.

Link: http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1313

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Sounds like something big. The fact that they are announcing this at PIER 21, Canada's National Museum of Immigration would seem to hint at another European destination in addition to Glasgow.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Sounds like something big. The fact that they are announcing this at PIER 21, Canada's National Museum of Immigration would seem to hint at another European destination in addition to Glasgow.
Indeed. LGW, DUB, either-or, or both...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces