HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 1:07 AM

OHSU plans for South Waterfront district energy
POSTED: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 02:02 PM PT
BY: Justin Carinci
Daily Journal of Commerce
Tags: Brian Newman, district energy systems, Moody Avenue, OHSU, South

If they hurry, city and Oregon Health and Science University officials have a chance to develop a district energy system for the South Waterfront. If they wait, the chance could pass.

District energy provides heating and cooling to an entire district, allowing individual buildings to tap into the system. The planned OHSU Schnitzer campus, between the Ross Island and Marquam bridges, would use such a system.

Brian Newman, OHSU’s director of campus planning, development and real estate, sees an opening, literally, with the city’s upcoming Moody Avenue project.

That project will widen and realign Southwest Moody Avenue, add a cycle track and realign and double streetcar tracks, allowing for an eventual connection to the new transit bridge. While the roadway is torn up, Newman wants to reserve tunnels that will eventually carry the district energy system’s pipes.

“Even though that corridor would be built well before we have a system in place, we want to reserve that capacity now,” he said. “Moody is our only chance of getting that done in the near future.”

Federal funding rules require the Moody project to be completed by February 2012; the district energy system could still be in design at that point.

“We can’t wait for this all to resolve itself,” Newman said. “If we can at least get them to resolve the tunnel, we’ll have the luxury of having more time.”

The Portland Development Commission and OHSU are each contributing $25,000 to an effort, starting next week, to get a better sense of the scope of the district energy project. That process will last six to eight weeks, with a feasibility study and design work requiring 12 to 18 months.

A $540,000 federal House Committee on Appropriations request for money would pay for that feasibility and design work. The system would cost at least $15 million to build, according to that request, which is before the committee.

Chris Armes, project manager for the Portland Bureau of Transportation, said Moody project planners will do what they can to accommodate the district energy system. But they’re in a hurry: the Moody design contract goes to City Council next month, and the city will seek proposals from construction managers-general contractors this summer.

“It depends where they’re at with the master plan for the north part of the district,” Armes said. “We’ll incorporate as much as we can, but we’re in the process of looking at the utilities, and where they fit in the streets, and where we’ll be on Moody.”

District energy systems have been used in one form or another for centuries, said John Sorenson, executive director for N2e, a nonprofit energy-system developer. The systems not only transfer energy efficiently, but also provide huge benefits for building owners.

“You don’t have to build into your structure things like boiler rooms and doghouse units on the roof for cooling, and you don’t have to pay for maintenance of those units,” Sorenson said. “Then you have more commercial space you can sell.”

For the South Waterfront, it’s important to get participation from everyone in the district, said Lisa Abuaf, central city manager with the PDC. “This has to be something that adjacent property owners buy into,” she said.

“How we can get buy-in up front, how we get the major institutions, the major stakeholders involved.”

For the developed part of the South Waterfront District, that didn’t happen in time, Newman said. A district energy plan would have served that entire area, but development pressures were too great five years ago.

“It was a different world,” he said. “The economy was strong, and condo builders in particular wanted to take advantage of the market.

“No one wanted to spend the time it took to get district energy,” Newman said. “They just wanted to start moving dirt.”

Those same pressures won’t hamper the next phase of South Waterfront development, he said. “The luxury of the recession is that we have time to answer some of the larger policy questions we didn’t have before.”

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/04/21...strict-energy/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:30 PM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 11:36 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree with a lot of the pessimism in that article. My wife and I looked at condos there at one point, but there really just isn't anything there to do without leaving the area. There is some hope, though - when the pedestrian bridge is done and even better when MAX opens in 2015 (and LO streetcar in... 2013?) that will give the area a boost. I thought that OHSU had received a grant to build a second building in SOWA; now that they're doing better financially, maybe something will come from that.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 4:56 PM

I didn't read this article yet, but just judging from the title I have to say that it should have been "everything but retail" because there ARE a lot of people here. We now have mini-traffic jams in the morning and evening from everyone waiting to go into their parking garages and getting off the streetcar. I also seldom make it down from my 19th floor apartment without stopping at least 3 or 4 times on the way down. So, to say there are not people down here or that this is not a neighborhood is ridiculous. Again, I did not read the article yet so don't go ballistic correcting me, I'm just saying this based on the title.

On another note, the last of the Mirabella crane is coming down right now. It seems they've also started to rip up part of the fountain in the park and are doing some repairs. I swear this park is never going to open... The Matisse is getting the last pieces of the rooftop deck finished and the northern building is almost finished being clad.

EDIT: Ok I read the article. My comments still stand :-) Like I said, the title should be "everything but RETAIL" and that seems to fit the article well. It's true that most of the people out and about here have dogs. We have a dog and most of the people we meet around here are because of their dogs. If the park ever opens, I think it will bring both the dog and non-dog owning residents together and there will be much more visible people outside of the buildings. Hopefully that activity from the park will also draw more retail down here too.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 10:09 PM

Agreed that the retail and restaurant variety is lacking in SoWa. I think this is where the streetcar extension to Johns Landing and Lake Oswego would make a huge impact on the convenience and accessibility of the district. Separately, Johns Landing and South Waterfront lack the market strength to support much retail, but combined, they provide quite a bit of buying power. I suspect Lake Oswego will also be a likely destination for retail shopping when the streetcar extension happens. The trip on that alignment will be gorgeous too, a nice weekend outing on the way to shops.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 12:49 AM
PearlHelp.com

I agree there is plenty of people. Last I knew, Riva on the Park was 90% full.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:03 AM
PearlHelp.com

OHSU Names the Childcare center slated to open this fall.

From the OHSU O-zone:

The new childcare center for OHSU families—slated to open this fall at South Waterfront—now has an official name: “Healthy Starts Children’s Center at OHSU.” The Childcare Advisory Council says thanks to everyone who submitted suggestions in the naming contest—and congratulations to Cassie Coster, administrative assistant for OHSU Hospital 10K, 13A and 10A, who gets a $100 gift certificate to Learning Palace for submitting the winning entry: “Healthy Starts at OHSU.” (Yes, the final name has an additional descriptor—but the “Healthy Starts” part is key.)

Enrollment is climbing, but openings are still available in each age group. To start the enrollment process, send an interest form to Childrens’ Creative Learning Centers (CCLC). You can find information on center operations, tuition rates and more at its website. Or, to talk directly to a CCLC representative, stop by the childcare information table on one of the following dates:

Tuesday, May 11, 12–2 p.m.: Center for Health & Healing, 1st floor lobby
Tuesday, May 25, 12–2 p.m.: Mac Hall Café
Tuesday, June 8, 12–2 p.m.: Center for Health & Healing, 1st floor lobby
Tuesday, June 22, 12–2 p.m.: Mac Hall Café

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 8:32 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 10:43 PM

Shady Pines in the Sky!

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 3:57 AM
PearlHelp.com

The park looks nice! ^_^

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
Shady Pines in the Sky!
I don't think you are going to find many people in Mirabella stuck to their rocking chairs.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 10:08 PM

They tore up the water feature for the fourth or fifth time a couple days ago. They removed some of the concrete they laid as well. I'm guessing they had to repair a leaking pipe underground? It looks like it is fixed now since they have re-poured the concrete. Those water features can be tricky!

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:17 PM

Video of Mirabella Construction Crane Teardown

Here is 10 hours of video sped up to 4 mintues of the Mirabella construction crane coming down. There is no audio so you don't need to turn your speakers up.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSY7IrT3VPQ

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:58 PM

We are all itching for the park to open but they just started doing more work on it. This must be the 4th or 5th time they have tore apart that water feature. We are told the park will be open before the summer although no date has been set yet.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 10:50 PM

Thank you for the video of the crane disassemblage, Cronked. We tuned in several times on the big day, but saw little. Merriwether residents must be enjoying their new view.

Too bad about the park. They seem to have had an awful lot of trouble with different parts. It is such an important part of the community that I hope they are able to open it soon--even opening a section would be an improvement.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 6:18 PM

House Fire

In case you missed the house fire last weekend. This happened at the foot of the West Hills and I filmed it from our living room in the Meriwether. At around 1:20 I speed it up 25x to make it more interesting. At around 3:00 you can see the tram zip by. Oh, and there is music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFilVVb_568

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 4:35 PM

Thanks, I had wondered what caused the cloud. I could see it all the way from 28th and Powell!

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 3:19 AM

Mirabella Web Cam

I think my IP address changed again. The address for the Mirabella Web Cam is now:

http://98.246.157.173:8080/

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 5:13 AM

At night the top floors facing south have hallways with full height windows that are illuminated. It creates a giant square light in the middle of the building 5 floors tall. Pretty cool effect!

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 8:18 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
At night the top floors facing south have hallways with full height windows that are illuminated. It creates a giant square light in the middle of the building 5 floors tall. Pretty cool effect!
Pictures?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland