HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 8:44 AM

This is pretty old, and on the city-data forums, someone posted up something about disney denying building any new american park anytime soon. Although they do keep their plans pretty secret. Also It's dumb to even think of this seeing as our airport would not even be close to dealin with the high volume of traffic that would come with a disney park. So yeah, like someone else said it's probably a data center.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 12:02 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I have heard rumors for years here in Austin that Disney was lookin in our area for a possible theme park as well. As others have stated this is nothing new for many Texas cities, but who knows we will see in time what will happen...

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 4:06 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Disney has been scouting Texas for years and has already bought land north of Frisco (Dallas-Ft. Worth). They're going to announce the project later this year for a 2015 opening.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 6:57 PM

How do you know this?

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:38 PM

/\/\/\ It's all pie in the sky. The source is always 'a friend of a friend who is in the know' or something to that effect (aka rumor assumtion and/or conjecture). But people fall for it every time, because they want it to happen. Besides, Disney doesn't buy lots of land as Disney (that would drive up the price for a new park), but they would as multiple shell companies and other Disney fronts (just like they did in Orlando). If Disney were planning a park anywhere in Texas, they would be the only ones to know until press release time. At which time the land would already be bought and paid for.

Last edited by Saddle Man; May 23, 2007 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
Meh

I also have to say, though that even sometimes the people who really are in the know, such as the developers themselves, are sometimes wrong about certain things such as numbers, start dates and other facts; I've found that out from personal experience from being in contact with them about a project. Typos and human error can be a problem here and of course start dates can be pushed back or projects scaled in size which makes numbers and facts from the past seem wrong. The media gets it wrong from time to time also.

There is so much time and effort that goes into a project and you can't always expect things to stay the same throughout the whole planning process.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:17 AM

It's a joke people. There will "probably" never be a Disney Texas. This is a rumor that floats from state to state and pops up everytime some developer buys up a huge chunk of land. It's always "a friend of a friend told me" or someone who claims to be an insider and poof, nothing ever happens.

Let me assure you there will never be a Disney theme park opening in San Antonio.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:36 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
Let me assure you there will never be a Disney theme park opening in San Antonio.
Why not? Not that I care, as I said I loathe Disney, even if they were in San Antonio I doubt I'd go. But still, what makes you so sure Disney wouldn't build there? If they were to ever look at Texas as a possible spot I would expect San Antonio to atleast be one of the places considered along with the Metroplex. The reason I leave out Houston here is that they just did away with Six Flags there, so apparently they don't care much for theme parks, atleast anymore. I can't say that I blame them with the beach being so nearby. And I left out Austin because this city has never even batted an eye when it's come to major league sports or theme parks. I don't even believe that it's that the city couldn't support it, just that there's no demand for it. San Antonio and DFW are different stories given their locations and already healthy tourism industry.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The reason I leave out Houston here is that they just did away with Six Flags there, so apparently they don't care much for theme parks, atleast anymore.
Damn thats a huge, and incorrect assumption. Which is why assumptions on this board or anywhere are dangerous.

You assumed that because the park (Astroworld) closed it meant that 'they' dont care for theme parks there.

In reality, as was reported in the Houston Chronicle at the time, and among many other places, Astroworld closed for two reasons; first is that six flags has been bleeding cash for the last few years and had to tighten its belt some. They have had this problem of the teen-agers going to the parks in droves which is not a good thing 'cause teens dont have the purchasing power of fat midwestern families. Plus, the teens just come to the park on a season pass and hang out. They dont play games and dont buy food and souviners. And packs of teens scare the fat midwesterners.

The second reason Astroworld closed is because the land it sat on was suddenly worth more than about 20 years of park revenue. For a struggeling company, this was too tempting of an offer. Especially when the park's real assets (rides) could be dismantled and sent to other six flags parks.

I could care less if Disney comes to Texas. I personally think the employment pool of slacker teen themepark workers is probably tapped out here in SA. I'd prefer to see an employer locate in SA who pays its 2000 employees more than $5.75 an hour or whatever.

Just be careful of assumptions. It can sometimes diminish the weight of stuff you do know for sure - cause others cant tell the difference.

I know a little something about the pool of slacker themepark workers here in SA. The lifeguard in my sn is a reference to the two summers I was an employee of SFFT (Six Flags Fiesta Texas - the parks real name) as a lifeguard in what was then known as 'Armadillo Beach'. The best job I ever had.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
It's a joke people. There will "probably" never be a Disney Texas. This is a rumor that floats from state to state and pops up everytime some developer buys up a huge chunk of land. It's always "a friend of a friend told me" or someone who claims to be an insider and poof, nothing ever happens.

This rumor is rather comical b/c as late as last fall it was rumored that Disney would be opening a theme park or something of the like up in Celina (North of Frisco and Plano). Some confidential buyer has been slowly purchases and acquiring acres and acres of land up that way. This followed the rumor about 5 or so years ago about another confidential land owner buying acreage west of Weatherford (west of Ft. Worth) for a possible Disney park. And most recently this Bear Fire 'ski park' in Ft. Worth was rumored to first be placed on a track of land that was rumored to be a site Disney looked at for a possible park out near Grapevine, now the "proposed" ski park is not planned for that site but for a site previous owned by intel. SO, the moral of the story its all nothing more then rumors. The only thing that I think we can count on is the new developments Disney is looking at as having 'mini' resorts. Forget where the first one is going, but even if they decide to expand on this venture it will be a long while before we see it here in Texas. Supposively Disney is looking at more urban sites. I don't think SA is a bad tourist place and its not far fetched, but again its only rumors.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:18 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
...They have had this problem of the teen-agers going to the parks in droves which is not a good thing 'cause teens dont have the purchasing power of fat midwestern families...

That is to funny. I love it. I have not been to one of those places in years. One time is enough for a good decade or so...

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 1:23 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
Damn thats a huge, and incorrect assumption. Which is why assumptions on this board or anywhere are dangerous.

You assumed that because the park (Astroworld) closed it meant that 'they' dont care for theme parks there.
Yeah, you're right. That was a bit out there. Still DFW and San Antonio are definitely the centers of tourism in Texas. No disrespect to Houston of course, but they really are. And of course Houston has all kinds of stuff to do.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 1:32 AM

I recently saw this list:

TOP 10 LEISURE DESTINATIONS

The top 10 leisure destinations in Texas by Metropolitan Statistical Area:

1. Dallas- Fort Worth-Arlington

2. Houston- Baytown- Sugarland (includes Galveston)

3. Rural Texas Destinations (all counties not listed in an MSA)

4. San Antonio

5. Austin-Round Rock

6. Corpus Christi

7. Lubbock

8. Amarillo

9. College Station-Bryan

10. Abilene

SOURCE: D.K. Shifflet & Associates, Directabs ('06)

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 1:49 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 2:23 AM

The Alamo ranks #1 followed by the Riverwalk at #2.

In fact, the Alamo was also ranked #1 last year.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 6:52 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Im curious as to how this list came about? Its really kind of odd.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 1:30 PM
Austinite

Austin has had its share of Dinsey 'rumors' too. When I was a kid (and we're talking decades ago), there was a rumor floating around of a Disney theme park locating in what was then the isolated lakeside village of Jonestown (about 8 miles W of Cedar Park, north shore of Lake Travis). Its kind of laughable really... unless they had a Texas Hill country interpretation of Six Flags Magic Mountain (Valencia, CA) in mind. "Disney Magic Hill".

Point is... 20+ years later, there have been no Mickey Mouse sightings in Jonestown.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 2:15 PM
Baltimore

There have been Disney rumors in the New Orleans area since I was a kid. I think every city has them.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaRush View Post
There have been Disney rumors in the New Orleans area since I was a kid. I think every city has them.
It really is a small world afterall.

Damn you, Mickey Mouse!

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I recently saw this list:

TOP 10 LEISURE DESTINATIONS

The top 10 leisure destinations in Texas by Metropolitan Statistical Area:

1. Dallas- Fort Worth-Arlington

2. Houston- Baytown- Sugarland (includes Galveston)

3. Rural Texas Destinations (all counties not listed in an MSA)

4. San Antonio

5. Austin-Round Rock

6. Corpus Christi

7. Lubbock

8. Amarillo

9. College Station-Bryan

10. Abilene

SOURCE: D.K. Shifflet & Associates, Directabs ('06)

Huh?! I always thought S.A. was number 1 followed by Corpus Christi/Port Aransas. Guess I got my info from some unreliable soures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio