HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 11:44 PM
fried white rice

Bangkok... not enough? want some more?! (part 2)

Want some more? My pleasure!

In a shopping mall... some of the staff will pose for a photo and give a big smile
Shopping experience in Bangkok is something substantially different from the one you might get in London. A friendly slap or poke to the bottom or a naughty "compliment" seems rather normal... I also found out that I got my mp3 player with a discounted price because I looked "handsome and sexy"... did I?

street trade near Baiyoke tower

you'll never have to look for an internet cafe, it's just five meters away from you anyway

some electronic toys... if you can't figure out what's "wrong" with them then think twice. Most of them are fakes (yes, including mobile phones and touch-screen PDAs... I bought a 'Nokia N96' which doesn't actually exist yet...)

Gullivers Tavern, a popular place to hang out among Western/European tourists located in Sukhumvit Soi 5 (don't miss it if you're around, just opposite side the Sukhumvit rd. from Nana Hotel which I'm sure many of those traveling to Bangkok know). Hard to believe, but this must be the best English pub I've been to (along with the one in Khao San Road)... despite the fact that I live in England for 3 years now and do indeed go to pubs from time to time.

Taxi ride

Democracy Monument... Thailand had some issues with democracy in the recent year (US was the first one to declare "concern" last year after the coup... so caring, isn't it?) but it seems things are ok and democracy is about to thrive once again (even if it doesn't I'll stay in love with Thailand)

In the Grand Palace complex

Emerald Buddha in Wat Phra Kaew. The most important (?) Buddha in Thailand (world?). Not actually made of emerald but clothes are actually made of gold

More to come!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 7:30 PM

Great photos once again.
Bangkok sure is a very colorful city. Bordering on Third World-ish but thats ok with me

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 9:07 PM
fried white rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrbijaCG View Post
Great photos once again.
Bangkok sure is a very colorful city. Bordering on Third World-ish but thats ok with me
I would hardly say that Bkk looks "third-worldish"... except some remains of sums which were present a while ago, but that's a thing of the past already. In many senses it looks much more advanced and contemporary than such cities as London or Paris... unlike some prejudices might suggest, Bangkok is a vast modern city with very modern infrastructure and facilities (and I don't mean just freeways and the airport which is perhaps better than anything in US or Canada anyway )

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific