HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Future Globe Theatre Location
Central Library Redevelopment 5 16.13%
Agriculture Place 1 3.23%
RRI (former CP Rail) Lands 1 3.23%
Hill Tower IV 5 16.13%
Rose and Victoria 9 29.03%
Alt Hotel Devlopment somewhere downtown 0 0%
Other 10 32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 10:46 PM

What will the Globe Theatre (Regina) announce as its new location

The Globe Theatre has announced that it will hold après conference January 16, 2014 to "unveil a major announcement related to its future in downtown Regina." to what location will the Globe be moving?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The Globe Theatre has announced that it will hold après conference January 16, 2014 to "unveil a major announcement related to its future in downtown Regina." to what location will the Globe be moving?
Cool! (Maybe a 100-metre-tall tower as well.)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 2:49 AM

They are going to announce their outright purchase of the Prince Edward Building, they are unfortunately not moving anywhere any time soon

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306frogger View Post
They are going to announce their outright purchase of the Prince Edward Building, they are unfortunately not moving anywhere any time soon
That makes no sense given their repeated comments that the building is not able to meet their needs for any kind of expansion. Why would you purchase s building that you have continually deemed an albatross. Where does your info come from or are you just speculating.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:35 AM

It is the word on the street downtown so I think its pretty accurate.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
Why would you purchase s building that you have continually deemed an albatross
I heard that they want to either renovate the entire building to its shell or leverage it as an asset to obtain a new larger location downtown when they can get some government funding.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:20 AM

Quote:
I heard that they want to either renovate the entire building to its shell or leverage it as an asset to obtain a new larger location downtown when they can get some government funding.
I meant to include staying put as a poll choice but I only created 7 slots. Where would they get the $$?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 1:02 PM

Prince Edward building isn't for sale to begin with. It was purchased a few years back by a gentleman by the name of Gus kolitsas. Who also owns the Royal Bank building downtown and the bank of Canada building on 12 Ave.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
I meant to include staying put as a poll choice but I only created 7 slots. Where would they get the $$?
I believe they have a ridiculously long lease in the building (90 years or so) therefore I can't imagine the building having much value with them taking up 3 of the 4 floors. So I guess they purchase the retail spaces on the first floor and get the upper 3 floors at a huge reduction.

I hope they renovate the main floor into this century if is accurate.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 6:36 PM

one_brick says it will be a brand new building:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...8&postcount=87

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 6:59 PM

I guess we will find out in three days who is correct

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
one_brick says it will be a brand new building:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...8&postcount=87
"Brand new theater" can mean a brand new building with a theatre in it or an older redeveloped building with a new theatre space in it. Because they want a theatre in the round space that is larger than the current, all signs point to new as there isn't a building downtown already built to my knowledge that could house it. Because Harvard Developments is their building development partner, I have a feeling there is going to be a newly constructed property with some mixed use here to make the development more profitable.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
"Brand new theater" can mean a brand new building with a theatre in it or an older redeveloped building with a new theatre space in it. Because they want a theatre in the round space that is larger than the current, all signs point to new as there isn't a building downtown already built to my knowledge that could house it. Because Harvard Developments is their building development partner, I have a feeling there is going to be a newly constructed property with some mixed use here to make the development more profitable.
Might this announcement Include a central library?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
If Harvard is involved this could be quite interesting

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:18 AM

The Globe will need some sort of partner/benefactor as they do not have the financial capacity to swing this. I could see a developer agreeing to include them in a multi-use proposal subject to the Globe raising donations and receiving grants. The globe making the announcement might give a boost to the developers proposal, if for example, the developer wanted to influence the City or Province to support their proposal.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:53 AM

I am the only person to pick Agriculture Place. I think a theatre built above the retail component along Hamilton Street Street would make sense: the Globe Theatre would still be on the same physical city block, albeit just around the corner from their present location. Harvard said the underground parking in Agriculture Place, however few the parking spots may be, will be available to the public in the evening/weekends. And this could possibly allow for a sponsorship deal with not just Harvard, but also with Farm Credit Corp.
I don't think the new central library is anywhere even close to have a funding plan laid out, nor a design plan. I am sure it could still be a few years away.
This is just my guess. I am anxious to see what the announcement on Thursday actually is.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
That should be interesting. No government funding should exceed 25%, and at least 40% should be paid for through a theatre improvement fee of $16 per ticket. Then, moments after the announcement, we should start a petition because theatres do not feed the hungry... oh wait, we only do that for sports facilities.

Before anyone goes off on me, I really want a new Globe Theatre that could truly serve the arts community. I just think it's sad when 1 community goes against another like what happened over the stadium issue. Hopefully it doesn't happen with this.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
That should be interesting. No government funding should exceed 25%, and at least 40% should be paid for through a theatre improvement fee of $16 per ticket. Then, moments after the announcement, we should start a petition because theatres do not feed the hungry... oh wait, we only do that for sports facilities.

Before anyone goes off on me, I really want a new Globe Theatre that could truly serve the arts community. I just think it's sad when 1 community goes against another like what happened over the stadium issue. Hopefully it doesn't happen with this.
I would prefer a brand new stage theatre before funding for a theatre in the round. The Globe is nice, but it's very limited in its runs and usage compared to a traditional stage theatre. The city is filled with mediocre theatres in highschools and gyms and church halls, but lacks a great one. The Performing Arts Centre on Angus is the best in the city, but the location is horrible (prostitutes wandering around at night), as is the rest of the facility (really cramped backstage and basement).

The Conexus Arts Centre can't even be included since it's out of the price range of local groups for regular use. The city needs a good theatre with a stage the size of the PAC, with seating for 400-500, and inside a decent facility. They keep giving lip service to this idea, but never follow through.

The Orr Centre has a fantastic facility and theatre, but one of the worst stages in the city (it's not even square, it's more like one half of a hexagon, and it has no wings or entrances, it's just open), as it used to just be a church preaching stage.

So that's why I'd rather the city invest in a facility which will be used year-round by schools, dance groups, bands, etc, instead of a theatre for one specific company which has a limited audience.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I would prefer a brand new stage theatre before funding for a theatre in the round. The Globe is nice, but it's very limited in its runs and usage compared to a traditional stage theatre. The city is filled with mediocre theatres in highschools and gyms and church halls, but lacks a great one. The Performing Arts Centre on Angus is the best in the city, but the location is horrible (prostitutes wandering around at night), as is the rest of the facility (really cramped backstage and basement).

The Conexus Arts Centre can't even be included since it's out of the price range of local groups for regular use. The city needs a good theatre with a stage the size of the PAC, with seating for 400-500, and inside a decent facility. They keep giving lip service to this idea, but never follow through.

The Orr Centre has a fantastic facility and theatre, but one of the worst stages in the city (it's not even square, it's more like one half of a hexagon, and it has no wings or entrances, it's just open), as it used to just be a church preaching stage.

So that's why I'd rather the city invest in a facility which will be used year-round by schools, dance groups, bands, etc, instead of a theatre for one specific company which has a limited audience.
I am assuming the Darke Hall stage is only suitable for recitals and small concerts?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I am assuming the Darke Hall stage is only suitable for recitals and small concerts?

Yeah it's only acceptable for a band or an individual singer, not for a play or dance or school concert.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan