HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 4:33 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Debutting my new camera (Canon S2 IS) with a giant pano of my city and the metro area

Novo Hamburgo is the small (260k) city where I live, which is part of Porto Alegre metro area (total pop 3,7 million).

Novo Hamburgo is located in the north side of the metropolitan area, distant 45km from Porto Alegre (which is not in the center of the metro area, but rather, in the south side).

Despite the distance, there are lots of hills both north of Novo Hamburgo and also south of Porto Alegre. And from the top of them, its possible to see the whole metro area.

There are several cities between Porto Alegre and Novo Hamburgo. In the following photos, due to the low height of the hill, we can distinguish only 3 cities.

Novo Hamburgo in the foreground, São Leopoldo, as a well defined skyline 10km away, and Porto Alegre in the very background, as a big extensive skyline in the right side of the big panorama, distant some 45km.

Notice that these pics were taken 7:40 in the morning. The white haze is fog, not smog.

The panorama is big (1 mb) so we can see in detail the 3 cities, including Porto Alegre. Still, it was reduced from the original size (2 mb)

THE PANORAMA (click on the thumbnail)

By DreamDeceiver

if someone dislikes Imageshack speed, try to download the pano from Photobucket.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7..._10717x900.jpg

2 - Porto Brasil, a 28 floors residential, in final phases of construction. Picture taken from my house!! Ahh... 12x optical zoom is GREAT!

3 - Swan Tower Hotel (backside of it) and Hamburgo Velho neighborhood. (this part of the city doesnt appears on the above panorama)

4 - Hamburgo Velho´s Lutheran church

5 - Vila Nova neighborhood and FEEVALE university

6 - Some buildings at the west side of Novo Hamburgo, near BR-116 road (which connects the whole metro area and in fact, goes 4000 km north, crossing the whole country), the city of São Leopoldo in the middle, and Porto Alegre in the background, 45km away.

7 - a tree.

8 - Zoomless picture of the city

9 - west part of downtown

10 - residential buildings at Mauricio Cardoso avenue.

PS: you may ask yourself "why have he bought a Canon S2 IS which is an old model?"

Well... yup, its an old model. But the camera is brand new. And it cust less than half the price of a Canon S5 IS... which in the end, just adds a few megapixels more (useless in my opinion) and up to 15x zoom. But the S2 IS price was worth the fact its an older camera. The 12x optical zoom is great...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:02 AM
low life in a tall place

That's wonderful, Trantor. What a city! Awesome views there.

And the camera seems like it gets the job done too.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:08 AM
no its not...

nice shots

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 9:40 AM
Sebastian

thanks a lot for the photos. you better start posting more threads now!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Thanks for the comments STAFF, TOTP and Wisla!

as for posting more threads, I actually have dozens of my own photo threads on SSC (taken with my old camera, a 2mp Canon A60, which I never posted here )

yes, its a 2002-2003 camera only 2 mp, but the quality is OBVIOUSLY much better than a 2008 2 mp Cell Phone camera. Dont judge a camera by its megapixels

btw, if you want to know more about Porto Alegre, the capital on the background, check out these threads here on SSP
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...orto+alegre%22
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...orto+alegre%22

there are some other older threads. Including one with my own photos, but I guess they were already deleted here on SSP?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:01 PM
E pluribus unum

Can't go wrong with Canon

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 6:18 PM
FUS RO DAH!

haha, thats true.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 10:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

great looking town.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 9:58 PM
FUS RO DAH!

thanks J. I also like its looks. But a few GLASS SKYSCRAPERS would go well into the skyline

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 10:41 PM

very interesting!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 3:52 AM
FUS RO DAH!

haha, thanks Chelsea... whatever "very interesting" means

of course, sometimes its just "photo thread small talk"

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 9:05 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Excellent shots and great panos!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 5:59 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Great stuff, Trantor...and a rocking pano!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 11:16 AM

Brasil is so cool!
Was Novo Hamburgo founded by germans? Because the name kinda sounds like new hamburg??

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 3:29 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Awesome! Love the pano. Brazil has so many highrises, it's ridiculous.

I really like the 3 "layers" of highrises on the far right end of the pano. Looks great.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 5:51 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkie View Post
Brasil is so cool!
Was Novo Hamburgo founded by germans? Because the name kinda sounds like new hamburg??

short story: yes, Novo Hamburgo´s first settlers arrived in the 19th century, around 1824. São Leopoldo, the city in the background of the panos, between Novo Hamburgo and Porto Alegre, was also founded by germans, at the same period.

since you are from Frankfurt, I will give you a longe history, as it may interest you.

Brazil got its independence in 1822. We had an Emperor, which was the son of the portuguese King (thus, he had a right to Portugal´s throne too). He married an austrian princess, from the Habsburg house, which was sister of the Holy Roman Emperor. Princess Leopoldina.

The south of Brazil was a very empty region, and there were border conflicts between Portugal and Spain which passed on to the future independent countries. Uruguay itself was once part of Argentina, then Brazil, then it got indepent from both.

Anyway, to populate the area, they decided to give lands to german immigrants (the "the country" of princess Leopoldina... well, there was no GERMANY back then).

The first settlers arrived and colonized the São Leopoldo and Novo Hamburgo area around 1824. Porto Alegre itself was less than 40k at that time.

Till around 1870, hundreds of thousands of germans immigrated to Brazil (but many more to USA), founding many other settlements and also many of them going to live in other, already existing cities.

Some other "big" cities founded by germans are Joinville (500k) and Blumenau (260k) in Santa Catarina state.

As for NOVO HAMBURGO ITSELF:

One of the first settlements in the area was a trading house belonging to an old man from Hamburg. When customers left, he would always say "always return to the house of the old hamburguer!"

Soon, the hill where the tradint post was located became known as HAMBURGUER BERG (now, the neighborhood called Hamburgo Velho)

In 1880, the british built a railway going from Porto Alegre to the north. The railway didnt passed throw the center of Hamburguer Berg. Quite the contrary, the station was built some 1,5 km away from Hamburguer Berg. Thus, a new urban area began to develop around the railway station.

This new urban area was called as NEU HAMBURG. In reality, it was New Hamburg in relation to HAMBURGUER BERG, not to Germany´s Hamburg (although most immigrants left Germany through Hamburg´s port, few of them were from the Hamburg area)

São Leopoldo got its name in honor of empress Leopoldina from Austria. Although São is portuguese short for Santo (Saint) and Leopoldo is the male form of the name Leopoldina...

if you are still reading this, some examples of german brazilians are uber model Gisele Bündchen, 2 or 3 times Roland Garros winner (and a few months top tennis player in the world) Gustavo Kuerten, and brazilian military president (brazilian dictatorship was a democracy, only among the military junta of course, but there were like 5-6 different presidents during the dictatorship) Ernesto Geisel.

You are probably yawning already, so I will stop here. If you have more questions, free feel to ask.

ps: I told the whole story because many germans know that germans immigrated to Brazil. But even then, they think most germans immigrated to Brazil AFTER WW2 (including some famous nazi fugitives). But the reality is that some of those nazis fled to Brazil EXACTLY because, like in Argentina, there was a big and old german community in such countries (including some nazi supporters, although in Brazil, which joined the Allies and even sent 25 thousand troops to fight in Italy, the nazis were repressed, as well as german language).

My girlfriend´s grandfather was born in Germany and came to Brazil when he was 5 (during the severe crisis in the Weimar Republic). He is actually the only person I know that immigrated from Germany.

Coincidentally, at the start of the 20th century, the 3 most proeminent immigrant groups in Brazil were germans, italians and japanese (last one mainly in São Paulo state alone). And all three were from countries that became enemy of Brazil during WW2.

Last edited by Trantor; Aug 17, 2008 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 5:53 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
Awesome! Love the pano. Brazil has so many highrises, it's ridiculous.

I really like the 3 "layers" of highrises on the far right end of the pano. Looks great.

best pano program ever. And its FREEWARE.
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 6:35 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Great pics and congrets on the camera mate!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 8:11 PM

wow thanks the history lesson!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
ps: I told the whole story because many germans know that germans immigrated to Brazil. But even then, they think most germans immigrated to Brazil AFTER WW2 (including some famous nazi fugitives). But the reality is that some of those nazis fled to Brazil EXACTLY because, like in Argentina, there was a big and old german community in such countries (including some nazi supporters, although in Brazil, which joined the Allies and even sent 25 thousand troops to fight in Italy, the nazis were repressed, as well as german language).
Thats exactly what i thought! When i was in brazil i came across several little towns that were german (you know with "Fachwerkhäuser" and stuff ) and called them nazi villiges Thanks to you I know better now!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 8:37 PM
FUS RO DAH!

haha, nazi villages.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos