HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Colorado Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:20 PM

In light of this tragedy, it appears work is steady. Looking at the JW web cam today, you can see that they're in the process of adding another floor from yesterday.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:49 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
That was nice of them to send him home early without his whole face.
I'm pretty sure that The Genral meant his contact was sent home early...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:57 AM

Yeah, everyone was sent home early, mostly to stay out of the way of the investigators. They were back at work today.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:12 PM

From today:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 AM

Today

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:09 PM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:49 AM

I have an update on the condition of the construction worker crushed by the elevator last week.
He is recovering but still must undergo many more surgeries to get a face back. At least it looks like he is going to survive.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I have an update on the condition of the construction worker crushed by the elevator last week.
He is recovering but still must undergo many more surgeries to get a face back. At least it looks like he is going to survive.
That's good to hear.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 12:21 AM

They raised the crane quite a bit today, probably 6 or seven new sections.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
My heart really goes out for him. I've been pretty sensitive to sad news like this lately.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
My heart really goes out for him. I've been pretty sensitive to sad news like this lately.
I really appreciate that the human cost of building glitzy buildings hasn't been completely ignored. I hope accidents like this will continue to make us all more vigilant and mindful.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global View Post
I really appreciate that the human cost of building glitzy buildings hasn't been completely ignored. I hope accidents like this will continue to make us all more vigilant and mindful.
I've actually always had that in thought every time a building gets built, hoping and in a sense praying that the workers are all safe. These people are maneuvering heavy machinery and fighting against gravity. It's no easy job.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:40 PM

I watched the Corning Tower go up in Albany NY when I was around 7 years old on our many trips up there to visit family. I think that's when I became a skyscraper junkie. On one trip, as we were driving by the tower under construction, my dad told me a construction worker died a few days earlier. Even at only 7, I felt sorrow for that guy and could never look at that building, even today, without thinking someone died building it. Its the same for Seton Williamson, and even the Newburg Beacon bridge in NY where 2 workers plunged to their deaths during construction. For me, tragedies add a permanent stigma to the building.
What I gather from Brent, the electrician at Colorado Tower, not only is there a shit ton of things going on at once, but everyone is on a timeline so things can get hectic and when you rush to stay on time, bad things can happen. Little things like not securing a harness or electrical or mechanical switch could have devastating results, NOT that any of those had anything to do with that man's accident.
Sorry if this is an off topic downer...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 6:56 PM

I think they should name some part of the building after anyone who is gravely injured or dies while building it. It is extremely sad, but there should be some time of celebration/memorial of the work they put into it as well.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 6:22 PM

Really starting to be more noticeable from this angle (Hilton pool). Kinda hazy today.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Really starting to be more noticeable from this angle (Hilton pool). Kinda hazy today.

Wow! Virtually every building (3 exceptions, 2 highrises and the low rise apartments) in this photo was NOT here when I returned to Austin 18 years ago. It really is a totally different city today.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 7:25 PM

Today.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 7:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Wow! Virtually every building (3 exceptions, 2 highrises and the low rise apartments) in this photo was NOT here when I returned to Austin 18 years ago. It really is a totally different city today.
When I started at UT in 1985 the only buildings there were the apartments in the center and the few you can barely see on the far right.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 1:25 AM

Spent some time with xxxx today, a construction worker on this tower. He was telling me how they do the cement pours. They pour half the floor monday evening and the other half thursday evening. The two pours allows time for the structure to settle. It actually leans in the direction of each pour. They have 10 floors to go with each office floor 13.6 feet tall so we can add 136 feet to the current height. It will be topped out in 10 weeks, about mid to 3rd week in July. The parking levels are 9.6 feet tall.
I get quite a bit of education and insight from xxxx. He said the soil conditions can easily support any size tower built on it.
Last update on the injured worker now that I now have all the details. The guy was working on window mullions on the 9th floor between the buck hoist and the side of the building when the elevator started moving. His head became pinned and the right side of his face was basically crushed and peeled away.
He lost his right eye. I won't gross you guys out with the rest of xxxx's description of what he saw when he got to the guy. So the guy is screaming and within seconds, they shut down the lift. The guy was literally hanging from the 9th floor by only his head squeezed between the buck hoist and building. Several workers risked their lives by reaching out and supporting his legs to take the pressure off his head, while others used crowbars to pry the hoist enough to free his head.
So how this all happened is clear...
Protective plywood is placed in all danger zones and no one is allowed beyond them. This guy moved the plywood to get beyond it so he could hurry up to finish the window mullions in that area behind the buck hoist. Violation #1. He was working alone. Everyone on the construction site must have a working buddy and they must always be in sight of each other at all times...violation #2. He should have informed xxxx or other worker that he was working next to the hoist so lock out tag out procedures would be followed which xxxx said should have made the elevator impossible to move...violation 3.
What saved his life was first and foremost his hard hat. It literally prevented his skull from being crushed. He suffered tissue and ligament damage mostly with broken jaw an face bones. Second, the fast thinking and courageous actions of the workers close to the accident scene. Xxxx believes the guy would have been decapitated if they didn't support and rescue him in the time and manner they did.
The injured guy will be in the hospital for at least 6 more weeks. It took at least 8 hours of surgery just to repair his neck and throat.
So basically the guy broke through a safety barracade to rush to get a job done without following safety protocol and it almost killed him.
Now not only did his fellow workers risk their lives to save his, they also dug deep into their pockets to contribute $15,000 of their own money to help with his medical bills and accomodate his family so they can be with him. They also raised an additional $15k through a web site set up for him.
So that's the scoop on that, enough said...but guys, that's an amazing story if you ask me, and an amazing look at the workers who are building our beautiful skyline. When you see the guys working on the Colorado Tower, there are heros among them...

Last edited by the Genral; May 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 8:24 AM

^^

What a story. Wow.

Last edited by migol24; May 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin