HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 7:41 PM

East Africa Safari II - Kenya

On to part two of the safari. See part I here. After spending a few weeks in Tanzania, I traveled north to Kenya to visit two more parks: Lake Nakuru and Samburu. Lake Nakuru is a small park in the middle of the city of Nakuru. It's really more a fenced reserve than a park. It is famous for it's flamingos, which can sometimes number in the hundreds of thousands. When I was there the lake level was low so there were only a few thousand. The park also functions as a reserve for the black rhino. If you want to see Rhinos in the semi-wild this is the place to do so.

Samburu is further north in Kenya and as you see from the photos is much drier. The animals here were much skinnier than in Tanzania. The Samburu river runs through the park and acts as an animal magnet. I spent an afternoon visiting the nomadic Samburu tribe that lives in the park. Very cool experience. A week after I left the Ewaso Nyiro river flooded and utterly destroyed the lodge where I stayed along with bridge infrastructure and an elephant research camp. People were airlifted to safety. I heard the tribe left safely, there were reports of several animals that perished. See a BBC report here

Happy to answer any questions, enjoy!

Predator:

Meet Prey:

The little antelope (called a dik-dik) got away.

That's it for Kenya, next up Rwanda.

Last edited by Okayyou; Nov 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography