HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 9:10 AM
Dérive-r

Vancouver - The Little Apple

Ok, there isn't much to this thread I admit, but I found the following article somewhat interesting and of course it is a tip of the hat to Vancouver as a major NA film centre in general so perhaps this can be a general "Hollywood North" thread.

Anyways, so apparently we're now both Hollywood North and the Little Apple...

Quote:
Vancouver, you're okay too
April 10, 2008

Yo brahs, I bet you all have been wondering what the Rat-man has been up to directin'-wise lately. Well, I'm takin a little break from the Rush Hour films (Hollywood Rule #1: Always leave them wanting more. By "them," I mean "Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan's agents," naturally.), so I could direct a portion of a little film called New York, I Love You. It's essentially a love letter to the city of New York, a city I love and respect with all of my heart. Sadly, it's really expensive to actually shoot in New York, so I've been shooting my part of the movie in Vancouver (Hollywood Rule #2: Always shoot in Vancouver, regardless of the project. Even if it's Survivor: The Australian Outback.).

The benefits of shooting in Vancouver are huge. First off, with the cash I'm saving, I can add some sweet special effects that the other directors on the movie won't be able to afford. Aliens? Check. Lasers? Check. That dancing baby from Ally McBeal? Double check! (Hollywood Rule #3: Any movie made before CGI is not worth seeing.) Also, my set designer can make Vancouver look more New York than New York itself. If I want the Statue of Liberty, Yankee Stadium, the Seinfeld restaurant, and Times Square to all be on the same block, Cindy can make it happen.

I can't wait for you guys to see this movie. You'll know my section of the flick instantly. The second you say -- "Man, this scene looks way New York-er than those other scenes! Give whoever directed this portion an Oscar or two!" -- you'll know that this has the Rat-man stamp of approval written all over it.

So let's all raise a glass to Vancouver, or - as I like to call it - the Little Apple.

http://www.newsgroper.com/brett-ratn...youre-okay-too

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 4:03 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Hmm... but the slogan of the website is "These Blogs Are Not Real"...

Heck, even Osama bin Laden has his own blog too!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 7:31 PM
Dérive-r

^Ha, maybe I should've payed a bit more attention to that site... a few too many drinks doesn't help much in that area I suppose.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 12:44 AM
A.H.-Ha!

^Sorry I don't mean to bash you...

However it's still nice to see others complementing Vancouver's Downtown as a miniature version of Manhattan. I still remembered the Seattle Times mentioned the same thing in a 2005 article on the three metropolises of Cascadia.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 5:55 AM
Dérive-r

^No problem, I didn't take it as a bash.

I agree, I always like reading articles about Vancouver from outside perspectives (especially since they're usually quite positive).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 6:23 AM

Downtown Vancouver "a miniature version of Manhattan"? Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
^No problem, I didn't take it as a bash.

I agree, I always like reading articles about Vancouver from outside perspectives (especially since they're usually quite positive).
But something is seriously lacking in us if we're always looking for praise, approval and validation from others like that. In contrast, how much do New Yorkers care about what is written about them in The Vancouver Sun?

We could also use an identity of our own, instead of looking to be compared as a miniature version of something else.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post
Downtown Vancouver "a miniature version of Manhattan"? Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good response. You must have put a lot of thought into that.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Good response. You must have put a lot of thought into that.
It's a well deserved response for imitators.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 5:53 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
But something is seriously lacking in us if we're always looking for praise, approval and validation from others like that. In contrast, how much do New Yorkers care about what is written about them in The Vancouver Sun?

We could also use an identity of our own, instead of looking to be compared as a miniature version of something else.
I know what you're saying but it's just human nature. The insecure always look to others for approval and validation. In the case of cities, the insecure are those aspiring to greatness (i.e. most major cities), while cities the likes of NYC/London/Tokyo etc. are the ones that have already "made it". When you're already the trendsetter there's no reason to care what a few minor players think.

If Vancouver was a "world class" city on the scale of NYC, London, etc. we wouldn't care much about articles like these but of course Vancouver is far from a significant global city. Until it is (if ever), it can at least be useful to read outside perspectives of our city as they provide a means of determining our global relevance (which rests on the perceptions of our global peers whether we like it or not).

We don't need approval or validation from others to think Vancouver is a great city and know that we want to live here etc. but Vancouver does require outside approval and validation to some degree if it wants to attain a certain global status. You as an individual may not care if Vancouver is ever a significant global city (which is fine as the average person probably doesn't think about it all that much anyways) but growth and success is essentially the driving force behind every major city. Personally I'm interested in Vancouver's future and want it to continue growing and being a successful city and articles like these help to inform me whether it's on the right track to some measure (or not in the case of negative articles on Vancouver, of which there are plenty).

As for why people feel the need to be at the top of the heap I don't know. Guess it relates to some innate primordial competitive urge - survival of the fittest and all that.

It's not an issue of identity. I'd think most Vancouverites don't want Vancouver to be another city, they just want it to gain certain aspects of global influence/significance that some other cities possess. I don't think anybody that has been to both Vancouver and NYC would take the nickname "The Little Apple" too literally (as in little NYC not a small fruit ). It's more a reference to Vancouver's relative success in certain areas than to some sort of similarity with NYC in terms of socio-cultural identity. Vancouver already has a strong identity of its own. I think it'd be safe to say Vancouver was one of the more unique cities in NA in this regard.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment