HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:42 PM

I didn't say I wanted Anne Marie to personally dictate style and approve projects. I would, however, like the political leadership of the city to take an interest in the design of our major downtown buildings, especially ones that impact our skyline. Is that asking too much? A clear example of a city that has a hands on approach to design is Waterloo. Auburn Developments of London is building a multi-million dollar development there. Their proposal to the city of Waterloo was just as ugly as the project they just built in London (Harriston tower). You would probably be proud of how ugly it was. I'm not sure of all the details, but I do know that they had to go back to the drawing board to redesign the project to get the approval of Waterloo council. In London, it seems like all we care about is getting residential units at any cost - and who cares about design.

Also, I am quite aware of how economics work. No one is saying we need marble and glass towers - just a little better design than the status quo would be nice. I don't have to go to school to learn planning, OMB or anything else to know what we have in London currently is crap design. I know that these developers are private. Just wondering, are you in favour of giving them tax breaks, etc. to build concrete crap?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 12:42 AM

The simple fact is, like Snark said, the market conditions in London are not conducive to "quality" architecture, which is invariably more expensive.

Personally I don't think the Renaissance is all that bad. It's a HUGE step up from *shudder* the Harriston *shudder*

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 1:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The vast majority of new construction in London is fugly. but at least there is some construction. We seem to be like Ottawa, being satisfied with mediocrity. The banality of the ubiquitous concrete slabs is really quite amazing.
That said, the rennaissance is really not that bad when compared to the Harriston, and the pile of fuglies across from Costco Wonderland.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The vast majority of new construction in London is fugly. but at least there is some construction. We seem to be like Ottawa, being satisfied with mediocrity. The banality of the ubiquitous concrete slabs is really quite amazing.
That said, the rennaissance is really not that bad when compared to the Harriston, and the pile of fuglies across from Costco Wonderland.
Ottawa, what? I lived there last summer and I was impressed at the quality of new residential architecture, with some exceptions. Look at Mondrian...simply beautiful.

You are correct, though, a large amount of Londoners love beige mediocrity.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 9:29 PM

Well things are slowly getting better and its starting in the old east hopefully that will help the standard for development in the city, and you never know tricar might have changed the designof tower 2 to be competative with medallion so not to lose the potential costomers, probably not but wishfull thinking hurt no one.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 9:51 PM

It is changing, as it is all across Ontario as higher density infill projects become more important (see Places to Grow Act).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I didn't say I wanted Anne Marie to personally dictate style and approve projects. I would, however, like the political leadership of the city to take an interest in the design of our major downtown buildings, especially ones that impact our skyline. Is that asking too much?
So, how does the political leadership taking an interest in building design translate into ensuring that buildings without exposed concrete are constructed in the downtown - without some sort of teeth in the process involved? Businessmen don't care about words, they care about profit and what they are legally allowed to get away with to maximize profit in the business environment that they are operating in.

Quote:
Anne Marie doesn't have a clue, Tom Gosnell and Van Mer Burgen are pro-ugly design.
One London Place, the Talbot Centre, and the Duffern Corporate Centre all happened under the auspices of Tom Gosnell as mayor. Now it is silly to credit Gosnell for the design of these buildings, but since you "blame" him and others for advocating the current state of affairs of architecture downtown - you must as well credit him for the very best that has been built as well. Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
A clear example of a city that has a hands on approach to design is Waterloo. Auburn Developments of London is building a multi-million dollar development there. Their proposal to the city of Waterloo was just as ugly as the project they just built in London (Harriston tower). You would probably be proud of how ugly it was. I'm not sure of all the details, but I do know that they had to go back to the drawing board to redesign the project to get the approval of Waterloo council. In London, it seems like all we care about is getting residential units at any cost - and who cares about design.
Incorrect. Waterloo didn't force Auburn to go back to the drawing board simply due to the proposed appearance of the buildings. Far, far from it. There were many issues related to the mixed-use nature of the proposal (ie zoning, density, etc). If appearance were the only issue, Auburn could have rammed through the development as originally proposed. That said, Waterloo's urban design planner is one smart cookie, devoted to the idea of good design, and persuasive. He will do his best to persuade developers to "do the right thing" in this regard. London has hired an individual of the same sort several years ago, and the effects are starting to be seen and more will be seen in the future. (Oh and BTW: London got the Harriston (for what it is), while Waterloo will not get the significant towers at the Barrel Yards for likely another 5 or more years, resulting in being 8-10 or more years following the initial announcement).

Quote:
I don't have to go to school to learn planning, OMB or anything else to know what we have in London currently is crap design. I know that these developers are private. Just wondering, are you in favour of giving them tax breaks, etc. to build concrete crap?
You may know what you like, but to navigate the turbulent waters of big business, development, and urban planning - yes you do need to learn this stuff. One day at the OMB can cost you $500,000 in lawyer's fees. It's very legal, very regulated, and very, very complicated involving a lot of heavy hitters.

As for the idea of tax breaks, sure I agree with the idea, as do most in the biz. The carrot is always much more effective than the stick. Most cities already wave development charges and other fees to develop in the downtown. To go further and reduce their actual property taxes further for something totally subjective such as appearance is a political minefield however. Not impossible, but very tricky. Believe it or not, some folks hate glass or even tall buildings in their downtowns.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 12:16 PM

Another tower is on the rise in downtown London.

Tricar Group is preparing its Renaissance site for a second residential tower it hopes to build two years ahead of schedule, because its first tower at Ridout and King streets is “100% full,” said Adam Carapella, Tricar vice-president.

“It is fully occupied right now, so we think London is ready for this. We are pretty excited.”

But there will be a big difference between the second tower and the first that began leasing in April 2009. The newest building will offer condominiums for sale, Carapella said. The first tower has rental units.

“There is demand as London has accepted highrise condominium living as a form of housing, so we are bringing our condos to downtown,” Carapella said.

When Tricar was leasing its first rental tower, it received inquiries about buying downtown condominiums as opposed to renting apartments.

The company’s condominium developments in other parts of the city have sold well, he said.

“It has really taken off recently.”

The new tower will have fewer units, but they will be larger. Units will be up to 1,600 square feet compared with 1,200 square feet in the first tower. Units will range in price from $200,000 to $400,000 with a penthouse also offered at a higher price.

The first apartment tower had 277 units. The second will have 180 units on 28 floors, the same height as the first tower.

“We think the demand will be there,” Carapella said. “The condo mentality has been creeping here from Toronto and we are ready for it.”

Tricar will apply for a permit in a matter of weeks, meaning it will likely be ready for occupancy in 2012.

There are still plans to build a parking garage between the two towers. The garage that may also contain commercial space will be built when the second tower is completed.

“We need that space now as a staging area for all our equipment as we build the second tower,” Carapella said.

The first tower has five levels of parking at its base, and another underground level that will connect to the second tower.

Tricar had expected to start building the second tower in about 2012, but demand has pushed that schedule ahead.

The company still has to get a building permit for the second tower — but that should not be a problem, said Janette MacDonald, manager at Downtown London.

“They have done better than they thought they would, but it does not surprise me. This is fantastic news,” MacDonald said.

“It has proven itself, we are delighted.”

The downtown has proven a draw for empty nesters looking to sell their suburban home and move to the core, where they can walk to more amenities, MacDonald said.

She also cheered the news the development will be condominiums for sale, saying that ensures established homeowners will be moving to the core.

“You need a mix and this will offer that. We have a lot of students and young workers, now we need people at the high end of that mix.”

The London and St. Thomas Association of Realtors recently reported there were 118 condominium sales in August in the London area, a 1.6% increase over August 2009.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 1:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This is some great news. I am even more pleased that we will see an influx of condo-owners downtown. Time for a grocery store. The best part of Downtown (King street) is about to get even better.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 1:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

You'd think there would at least be something on their website, but nada:

http://www.tricar.com/renaissance/index.php

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:20 PM
Londoner

You bet me to the news!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
You'd think there would at least be something on their website, but nada:

http://www.tricar.com/renaissance/index.php
They likely won't advertise 'till they can sell. They can't sell 'till they have financing - which is contingent on having their permits, a condo corporation set up, etc. They don't need a permit to dig a hole as they are now, but they will need one to pour a foundation.

It will happen soon though. The City will do everything to expedite this. This is a very important threshold being crossed.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Basic Marketing 101 is to offer info and teaser advertisements...get people interested/talking about the project.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 5:01 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but up until now I thought that these were all rental units, but now it seems they are condos...

Can anyone clear this up?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but up until now I thought that these were all rental units, but now it seems they are condos...

Can anyone clear this up?
I'm not positive but I believe the first tower was all rentals. And the second tower will either have some condos or will be all condos.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 6:35 PM

In that case you'd think TriCar would be all over trying to pre-sell these things. What gives?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 12:15 AM
User Registered

Diagram update: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=61

The title of this thread should now be changed to Under Construction.

Some images I took at the site on Friday:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Diagram update: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=61

The title of this thread should now be changed to Under Construction.

Some images I took at the site on Friday:
Very awesome to see progress!! Love the photos

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 3:10 AM
bro

Here's a picture of the site from basically the same location as haljacky's photo. The pit is mostly complete and that blue structure looks like it could be the base of a tower crane.

Let's get this second ugly twin tower under underway!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 11:15 PM

they put the rest of the crane up today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates