HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 5:56 PM

Downtown Y members?

Just wondering if anyone here is a member of the downtown Y. It's so convenient for me. But we took a tour recently and it's pretty dated and a little sketchy.

In contrast, our tour yesterday of the Y on Rymal Road shows it to be modern and vibrant, but so time-consuming to get there by transit.

Maybe I'm being too harsh about the downtown Y. If anyone here is a member there, I'd like to hear your comments about it. Safety, facilities, equipment are of concern.

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:39 AM

I was a member for a few years. It's definitely dated, but the facilities are fine* - big gymnasiums, large modern workout area, pool. Spring for the "membership plus" and you get a Steam room and Sauna too

The clientele are probably on-the-whole poorer that you would see at the mountain location, but that shouldn't be a concern - everyone including the staff were friendly.

*the exception is their squash courts. The sport must not be very popular anymore, as they've boarded one of the three up and let the other two fall into disrepair

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:51 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
I was a member for a few years. It's definitely dated, but the facilities are fine* - big gymnasiums, large modern workout area, pool. Spring for the "membership plus" and you get a Steam room and Sauna too

The clientele are probably on-the-whole poorer that you would see at the mountain location, but that shouldn't be a concern - everyone including the staff were friendly.

*the exception is their squash courts. The sport must not be very popular anymore, as they've boarded one of the three up and let the other two fall into disrepair
Thanks for posting this... I was thinking of joining a gym, and was wondering about the downtown Y.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
I was a member for a few years. It's definitely dated, but the facilities are fine* - big gymnasiums, large modern workout area, pool. Spring for the "membership plus" and you get a Steam room and Sauna too...(
Thanks for this info.

Not surprised about the squash courts. I think the maintenance cost of the floor must be high. The Mountain Y didn't build them.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:34 AM

McMaster Gym.

Try joining the Mac campus gym, they have public memberships at varying rates that are really reasonable (but remember their parking fees). The squash and racquet courts are superb. The whole facility is new. There used to be many indoor tennis bubble domes around, but I haven't been to any in a few years, not sure how they are now...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:27 PM
Hammer'd

The downtown Y is fine if you're just going to work out and don't care about the "experience". It is a dated facility though and there's a shelter on-site there too. I went to the Y for an internship a few years ago which included a gym membership and I thought it was decent enough.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion