HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 9:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
You guys think 432 will get a spire and be taller then then willis tower.

I don't know that a spire will work with this design. The only design of a spire I can think of that wouldn't look awkward is the old 7SD proposal, another thin tower:

http://ryan.tliquest.net/pictures/7%20South%20Dearborn/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 10:08 PM

I highly doubt it, and why? One World Trade Center is already taller then the Sears/Willis Tower.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:56 PM

They are pouring the retaining wall on the 57th street side.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 7:33 PM

This building looks so similar to the Twins. Only a skinnier, taller version. Its dimensions seem a bit odd, seems like it should be fatter. But then it would be a virtual twin to the old twins, which would be a bit odd. Not sure if I like the renderings of it or not. But time will tell I suppose.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 11:00 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
I always thought Midtown would look cool with a supertall this thin, so I do like this building, and I'm glad it's going to get done. But I don't think it warrants being the tallest. What Midtown really needs, from an aesthetic perspective--after this is built, after the Hudson Yards and the Manhattan West towers, and the Tower Verre and 15 Penn, etc.--is a distinct modern supertall, at least 1,800 feet, right around Times Square. Something that warrants iconic status, emerging out of the heart of Midtown.

But this is going to be one cool tower once completed.
If anything in Midtown is built higher than the ESB and has to be modern as well, I rather want a fresh version of this tower.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ltcf4.jpg/sr=1

Should still keep the Art Deco style but in a way similar to how the postmodern buildings take old styles and make them brand new. It would block the ESB in that view that sbarn posted, but it would be extremely dominant and still emit that same New York feel.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:03 AM

Personally I'm not a big fan of spires, so I believe one would ruin the look of this tower. However, ignoring my own personal bias and dislike, I think this tower as currently shown in the renders is elegant and graceful in its slenderness. It's already going to be very tall, and extremely prominent in the skyline. There is no need to add a spire just for the sake of claiming extra height.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:33 AM

What I would really love would be a mock render of the view from Central Park with this, One57, 220 CPS, 105 West 57th, and 225 W57th all complete. The skyline is going to be dramatically different in 5 years, and 432 Park is just one of the new major buildings going in (although possibly the biggest).

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I think this tower as currently shown in the renders is elegant and graceful in its slenderness. It's already going to be very tall, and extremely prominent in the skyline. There is no need to add a spire just for the sake of claiming extra height.
The slenderness is why it doesn't need the spire. It will still be elegant on the skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:05 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
What I would really love would be a mock render of the view from Central Park with this, One57, 220 CPS, 105 West 57th, and 225 W57th all complete. The skyline is going to be dramatically different in 5 years, and 432 Park is just one of the new major buildings going in (although possibly the biggest).
I was just saying that! While any tall building would be hard-pressed to recrown the skyline (hence the 1,800-footer talk, I totally get it ), if there's one place where a remarkable difference will be visible, it's going to be from Central Park. Midtown from the park will be an undeniable show-stopper when all these towers are complete....as if it isn't already.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:01 PM

One thing is for sure. With all these 300/400m towers popping up all over town, the skyline will be in a much better position to tastefully absorb a mega tall.

There will be at least one serious 2000 ft. proposal by the end of the decade, I'm calling it.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:30 PM
New Yorker for life

We'll wait and see. For now, we have this to watch and deal with...

Friday afternoon....(May 4, 2012)

www.432park.com

www.432park.com

Last edited by NYguy; May 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:52 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ Crane on site!!

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't know that a spire will work with this design. The only design of a spire I can think of that wouldn't look awkward is the old 7SD proposal, another thin tower:

http://ryan.tliquest.net/pictures/7%20South%20Dearborn/
That 7SD triple-spire-on-a-cylindrical base might actually look pretty cool on this building...

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 7:08 PM

I made a GIF from 2/27, 4/1, and today (5/6). Major progress, and I would think excavation is almost finished. Looks as if they may be readying a foundation pour soon? (beyond the concrete walls...).

http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...rk-avenue.html

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:23 AM

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:19 AM

We can see the work they did today.

http://www.432park.com/?a8541238

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
That 7SD triple-spire-on-a-cylindrical base might actually look pretty cool on this building...
Actually, I say a 4 corner style spires like from 3WTC would look amazing on 432 park.
It would defiantly compliment it's boxy look.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawooho View Post
Actually, I say a 4 corner style spires like from 3WTC would look amazing on 432 park.
It would defiantly compliment it's boxy look.

Again the problem arises is that 432 Park guys is way too thin. Many of these square towers that have masts like the NY Times Building, the North Tower of the old World Trade Center, the Sears Tower, and etc have massive bulk to balance out their height. This tower being only 100 feet by 100 feet will be so thin that any mast on top of this building will make it look more hideous to other people than it probably already is in the end.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:36 AM

So whats the official height status on 432 park ave 1,398 or 1,420 ?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Again the problem arises is that 432 Park guys is way too thin. Many of these square towers that have masts like the NY Times Building, the North Tower of the old World Trade Center, the Sears Tower, and etc have massive bulk to balance out their height. This tower being only 100 feet by 100 feet will be so thin that any mast on top of this building will make it look more hideous to other people than it probably already is in the end.
I think it might look cool if each of the four were a different height, though I can't see what practical purpose that would have. I've grown to accept the current design. I honestly think it could be a little shorter, and would look better, but unless no other super talls get built, it's not really going to matter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive