HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:54 PM

Lightbulb IMAX Moncton

Since Halifax is around 3+ hours away from any major centre. Moncton would be the best location for another IMAX. The city and the central region is the fastest growing area in Atlantic Canada! Cranes adorn the skyline. Moncton is the closest city to any other city in this region which makes good business sense that an IMAX is needed here. Moncton is less than 2hrs away from most of the other cities with Halifax being approximately 3 hrs away. The Costco building would be the ideal location. The Trinity mall location is ok, but is in need for renovations. A Cineplex/multiplex entertainment facility all under one roof would be great.

If Moncton is considered a metropolitan region, why is it not listed with Halifax and St. John's? It is listed under Atlantic Canada in the drop down list. The tri-city is such a small area with a very high population density compared to other cities. Moncton could be the second largest city in Atlantic Canada if the city was able to include population for the same area as other cities.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:07 PM

This is probably more appropriate to the general Moncton thread.

An Imax is certainly something we would wish Cineplex would get off their duffs and do something, but Cineplex doesn't seem that interested in investing in the Maritimes at the moment. Still, we're probably at the tipping point and there does seem to be rumblings (along with Cineplex's overall future plans) that might indicate something for Moncton's future eventually.

As for how SSP is organized, long ago, around when St John's was broken up into the subforum, there was talk on if Moncton should be broken up similarly. At the time the consensus was that it would be too isolating for the community, but the Official Moncton thread was getting too long and would probably need to be retired.

Instead of the sub boards, official [Moncton] specific subthreads were made to break up the Moncton discussion while keeping everyone in the same place. Official [Saint John] threads were made somewhat soon after, and I suspect [Freddy] threads might be made when the capital becomes a CMA in the next few years. IMO the subthreads are working well; it keeps the community together and lets people easily see what's going on in neighbouring cities, while also keeping discussion somewhat focused in each thread.

*Edit* Also I believe generally speaking, SSP doesn't do a Municipal region until the city gets to a certain size. I'd say 500,000 or so is likely the rule of thumb, combined with the region having enough SSP-appropriate projects appropriate to isolate to their own board. While there are a lot of Moncton threads on the Maritimes board, it isn't at the point of needing a sub board yet. Moncton basically needs to double in size before it will make enough traffic to warrant a sub-board.

Last edited by Taeolas; Jul 24, 2019 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agree with Taeolas' comments.

The only thing I will add is that the CEO of IMAX Canada is on record of stating that he wants an IMAX theatre in Moncton (he is apparently an NB native). The ball therefore is entirely in Cineplex's court.

No one knows what Cineplex's intentions are, but the Wheeler Park Cineplex could do with an upgrade. Will we see one? Will it include an IMAX, or a Rec Room, or both???? Could this be built on the former Costco site????

No one knows.

BTW, I agree this topic doesn't need it's own thread for discussion. Perhaps one of the mods could move it to the [Moncton] Retail Thread.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 7:38 PM

At this point, people have been talking about an IMAX in NB for so long, and nothing has come of the talks for so long, that I've arrived at an "I'll believe it when I see it" stance.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Agree with Taeolas' comments.

The only thing I will add is that the CEO of IMAX Canada is on record of stating that he wants an IMAX theatre in Moncton (he is apparently an NB native). The ball therefore is entirely in Cineplex's court.

No one knows what Cineplex's intentions are, but the Wheeler Park Cineplex could do with an upgrade. Will we see one? Will it include an IMAX, or a Rec Room, or both???? Could this be built on the former Costco site????

No one knows.

BTW, I agree this topic doesn't need it's own thread for discussion. Perhaps one of the mods could move it to the [Moncton] Retail Thread.

So I was in NL and went to rec and went on Facebook and posted some pics and said we need one in Moncton. A person I know well in the construction posted this as a response :

“They are coming, St Johns was first on east coast. Cinplex will be announcing soon”

He is well connected so crossed fingers he is right

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 12:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very interesting..........

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 11:09 AM

Location, location...

I could see an IMAX at King and Main, lighting up the eastern entrance to Main Street, anchoring the stretch running to the Event Centre. Parking, as we've seen, is all around and not an issue imho. Bring a few more hundreds downtown every week.
I'd rather see that than basic apartments looking over parking lots and busy streets or another hotel most local people will never visit...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveynb View Post
I could see an IMAX at King and Main, lighting up the eastern entrance to Main Street, anchoring the stretch running to the Event Centre. Parking, as we've seen, is all around and not an issue imho. Bring a few more hundreds downtown every week.
I'd rather see that than basic apartments looking over parking lots and busy streets or another hotel most local people will never visit...
This is a great idea. Having a movie theatre downtown also gives it an "old school feel" compared to being in a business park. Put a small ticketing booth on the outside with the glass window to use for summer months.

You don't need to have 8 screens, just put 4 screens with 2 of them being IMAX. Perhaps put a small bar inside so people can go abit early or a Barcade where people can hang out after . Businesses can also rent the spaces during the day for presentations to help with some extra cash.

People are looking for more unique "experiences" these days, with opportunities for instagrams etc. This type of thing would be on that trend.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveynb View Post
Welcome to the forums!

A good thought, but the vast majority of IMAX theatres these days are built within suburban multiplexes. I would imagine this is where any Moncton IMAX would be located.

I still think that if IMAX were to come to the city, it would be part of a refurbishment/relocation of the Wheeler Park Cineplex.

The Dieppe Cineplex is modern and is always busy. Wheeler Park on the other hand is dated, and has difficulty competing with it's sister cinema across town. If the Wheeler Park Cineplex is to survive, something needs to be done.

Given the size of Moncton, we need at least 12 movie screens. The Dieppe Cineplex only has 8 screens, and cannot be expanded. A second multiplex in the city is most definitely needed. As such, I can't see the Wheeler Park Cineplex simply closing down without a replacement.

The west end of the city needs to be served. The location you propose is too close to the Dieppe Cineplex. My preference is for Cineplex to build on the old Costco site, with a 6-8 screen multiplex (including IMAX), and an adjacent Rec Room. A complex of this size would easily be able to compete with the Cineplex in Dieppe.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:00 PM

Well IMAX is expanding like crazy.

"Total theatre installations are expected in the range of 185 to 190, consisting of new theatre installs of 140 to 145 systems and upgrades to IMAX with Laser of approximately 45 systems. New theatre installs are heavily weighted toward the fourth quarter of 2019."

"IMAX now has 1541 theatres around the world, and it is building or planning 612 more (as at June 30th)."

https://advanced-television.com/2019...est-year-ever/

This is an interesting read as well if you are into how the IMAX business works.

https://business.financialpost.com/n...ing-revolution

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Welcome to the forums!

A good thought, but the vast majority of IMAX theatres these days are built within suburban multiplexes. I would imagine this is where any Moncton IMAX would be located.

All good points... there were 3 cinemas on Main Street when I was younger! So nice to walk to dinner and a movie!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 6:23 PM

When I first saw the IMAX thread I immediately thought about the possibility of it being located somewhere downtown. What a tremendous addition that would be to an already vibrant downtown. The question is where could it possibly be located in the city core? I agree with MonctonRad that King & Main is too close to the Dieppe Cineplex. What about somewhere in the western end of downtown? The idea of walking to restaurants, bars, and the IMAX would be very appealing. No doubt it would have a positive impact tourism and the hospitality industry.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces