HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 1:29 PM

Article today from T&T about Day&Ross with what we already knew

Quote:
New Brunswick trucking company Day & Ross will break ground on a new terminal in Moncton Wednesday.

The company said in a news release the new terminal will be built on Frenette Avenue in the Caledonia Industrial Park, with the groundbreaking ceremony

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Expanded information from the article in the T&T today about the Day & Ross relocation to the Caledonia Industrial Park:

- the new terminal will be 30% larger than their existing location on Mapleton.
- the building will be two football fields long
- there will be 95 loading bays!
- this will be Day & Ross's main Atlantic Canadian logistics hub.
- there will be new designated customer pick-up zone (for things like IKEA)
- eco-friendly with solar panels, advanced heating and cooling systems etc.
- open concept, bright and spacious administrative wing
- large and comfortable drivers lounge and dispatch area.
- opening next June

The current facility employs 150. There will be an expansion in employment in the new facility, but they didn't say how many additional people will be hired.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was just browsing Councillor Greg Turner's FB page, and he states that the new Day & Ross property is 27 acres. This seems about right. The site seems huge when you drive by on Frenette.

Councillor Turner also replied to a subsequent query from someone about "what would happen to the old Day & Ross building?" by stating "We are hearing there will be a new development on that property , once they move to their new location next year ." I wonder what this means? The old Day & Ross site was one of the finalists for the new Costco location before they ultimately chose to relocate to the Granite Centre. Since then, there have been unsubstantiated rumours that Kent Building Supplies might relocate there from Wheeler Park. I'm still unclear why Kent would want to do this, but we will have to keep an eye on this rumour for down the road............

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I was just browsing Councillor Greg Turner's FB page, and he states that the new Day & Ross property is 27 acres. This seems about right. The site seems huge when you drive by on Frenette.

Councillor Turner also replied to a subsequent query from someone about "what would happen to the old Day & Ross building?" by stating "We are hearing there will be a new development on that property , once they move to their new location next year ." I wonder what this means? The old Day & Ross site was one of the finalists for the new Costco location before they ultimately chose to relocate to the Granite Centre. Since then, there have been unsubstantiated rumours that Kent Building Supplies might relocate there from Wheeler Park. I'm still unclear why Kent would want to do this, but we will have to keep an eye on this rumour for down the road............
According to SNB, J.D. Irving, Limited is the new owner of the current Day & Ross property on Mapleton.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFan View Post
According to SNB, J.D. Irving, Limited is the new owner of the current Day & Ross property on Mapleton.
Hmmmm.

Something may indeed be afoot.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:28 PM

The Irvings? Hmm so that would imply they either want to move Kent there, or they want a new Truck stop there.

With Silverfox being where it is, and Truckers probably not wanting to mix too much with the car-traffic on Mapleton, the Truckstop idea doesn't really seem plausible.

But Kent going there does have some interesting implications. It would mean the Mapleton store would be shut down, leaving a huge block of land available up there.

Things are probably going to look really different in that area in 5 years or so....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sale date for the old Day & Ross property was June 14th, for $10.4M

JDI wouldn't purchase this land without a plan.

As Taeolas pointed out, if Kent moves, there will be a huge hole to fill in Wheeler Park (both Kent & Costco), but since both properties are adjacent to one another, could there already be redevelopment plans in the offing? Perhaps something including new retail and a relocated Cineplex with Rec Room & IMAX??? There is obviously ongoing confidence in this retail district given the recent opening of Kelsey's and the imminent construction of a Milestone's. Restaurants would not build here without an expectation of clientele. This is why I'm wondering about a new Cineplex complex.

My spidey senses are tingling...........

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:19 PM

While I agree that Cineplex is probably the most likely company to take over the Costco (and Kent) site, is there anyone else who might reasonably consider it?

It is a very high profile corner overlooking what is basically one of the entrances to the city.

One way out there idea I just had, is that Canadian Tire might want to consider that spot. They could pull in their CT and SportsChek stores from Mountain Road into a larger building that can also include Marks and Party City and maybe even the Paderno store as well; get all their brands pulled into one place basically.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The Irvings? Hmm so that would imply they either want to move Kent there, or they want a new Truck stop there.

With Silverfox being where it is, and Truckers probably not wanting to mix too much with the car-traffic on Mapleton, the Truckstop idea doesn't really seem plausible.

But Kent going there does have some interesting implications. It would mean the Mapleton store would be shut down, leaving a huge block of land available up there.

Things are probably going to look really different in that area in 5 years or so....
If it were to be a truck stop, I expect it would be Irving Oil or one of its subsidiaries purchasing the property, not JDI. Never the twain shall meet, et cetera.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:17 PM

Article in today's T&T about the truck stop being built besides Shell on Harrisville
EXCLUSIVE: First Nation, developers partner on truck stop deal

Quote:
The station will be operated by the same people behind the Edmundston Truck Stop off the Trans-Canada in northern New Brunswick.

The Corey Craig Group, a Moncton developer and franchisee of dozens of Tim Hortons restaurants and other businesses, will expand its Shell location to accommodate the professional driver traffic from the cardlock.

The Shell will feature a bigger kitchen for breakfast service, eight bathrooms with showers, a laundry, a lounge and a gym for professional drivers, said Craig O'Neill, president and CEO of Corey Craig Group.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 10:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another quiet Moncton PAC agenda for August, but I guess that's OK considering how many projects were announced in the first four months of this year.

Only one item of note really. That parcel of land on the east side of Elmwood just north of Caledonia Road (and across from the Granite Centre) that was supposed to become an Irving Big Stop a few years back is being rezoned to allow for a used car dealership (Re-Car), which a Google search suggests is based in Fredericton.

Pretty ho-hum...........

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:29 PM

Here's the new Day&Ross location on Frenette.

This is the max height I could get on the DJI Tello. DJI Spark could not fly here due controlled air space. Oh well, still turned out ok with editing software.

I drove by that building in the back, it's one big massive Loblaw warehouse with a huge sign on the front fence, Now Hiring.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 12:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for this.

It's a huge construction site...........

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 12:54 PM
I Rise Again

A few months ago I posted about seeing some men with pick up trucks and surveying equipment out at the old Keddy's site off the Shediac Road near the Trans-Canada Highway. Well I see that someone is still busy buying land around that site.

https://paol.snb.ca/paol.html?v=1.0....n&pan=04319079

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's a big chunk of land. A new subdivision I wonder, or a mixed use development???

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 2:48 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

That's a big chunk of land. A new subdivision I wonder, or a mixed use development???
Some if it is zoned as highway commercial. That would be just a sliver of it that fronts the Shediac Road. The rest of it that runs deeper and where Keddy's used to be is zoned rural. It will probably go through a rezoning request of some sort at city hall. That should be something that we keep an eye on, it might be something big. Although I haven't heard of any rumors yet, if it was something big we might have heard something by now. Perhaps another subdivision? It's a hard call really, at this point it could be anything.

http://www5.moncton.ca/docs/bylaws/Z..._de_zonage.pdf

http://www5.moncton.ca/docs/bylaws/B...cipal_Plan.pdf

On the Municipal Plan you can look at the similiar map on page 296.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 2:58 PM
I Rise Again

Also regarding the above. If it is a development for a subdivision, the urban boundary will have to be pushed to the veterans highway and also perhaps to the Trans-Canada highway.

You can see the urban boundary on the first map in post 1456 (above).

Or you can see it on a map by itself on page 298 of the Moncton Municipal Plan. http://www5.moncton.ca/docs/bylaws/B...cipal_Plan.pdf

If it is for a commercial development the can just run the water and sewer lines from Shediac Road with no issues.

Last edited by MonctonianSentinel01; Aug 18, 2019 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Accident prompts call for traffic lights near new Moncton Costco
Resident says traffic, speed, and poor visibility make McLaughlin Road-Granite Drive intersection unsafe
Vanessa Blanch · CBC News · Posted: Aug 22, 2019 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

We saw this coming on this forum.

A "backdoor" into Granite Drive and the new Costco was necessary for access and safety issues, but the city did the connection to McLaughlin on the cheap. McLaughlin beyond the TCH is little more than a cowpath (in poor repair), and dumping all this traffic onto that street was bound to be problematic. McLaughlin needs to be widened, repaved and curbed to just beyond Granite, and the province should be expediting a new McLaughlin/TCH interchange to boot.

As the Granite Centre builds out, this problem will only get worse...........

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:53 PM

They repaved Mclaughlin in that area in the last few weeks. Huge improvement.

I just wish they would cut the damn trees that block your view of Mclaughlin to the north when you're turning from Granite.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:06 PM

I travel this road daily....

Although the paving is great.. the road in its entity is 2 narrow and needs to be widened about 5 ft.. there is no shoulder and 5 ft ditchs if you cross the white line. It being rural rd.. there are people walking on it and cyclists.. NO one drives the speed limit on it. If you do less then 80 you'll get road raged every day.(people on your bumper, honking at you etc.) I had too many speeding tickets one year and had to drive the limit on it for 6 mths.. people were hostile at me on a daily basis.

Anyway at minimum they should have replaced the culvert,rasied the rd and put in right and left turn lanes at the granite intersection.. as well as widened and curbed the rd from the topof the hill where the sidewalk ends. Like all developments the city should have made the developer pay for this.

Alot of the infrastructure in Mapleton was built mostly because of the traffic costco generates.. now the city has to turn around and pay to build it all again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
They repaved Mclaughlin in that area in the last few weeks. Huge improvement.

I just wish they would cut the damn trees that block your view of Mclaughlin to the north when you're turning from Granite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces