HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:36 PM
E pluribus unum

"Countdown to Looking Glass" was another (Canadian?) movie from around that time that mimicked live news leading up to a nuclear war.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:56 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
It applies your approach equally.

That's a good test of an idea...apply the same formula in a variety of cases. If the more extreme results are flawed, the rest of the results are generally inaccurate.
you're going to have to elaborate because I have no idea what this means in the context of the article. what is "my approach"? what's the "idea" in this case? what are the "extreme results" and what are the "rest of the results"?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
1983 also had "Special Bulletin", a fake news TV movie about terrorists sneaking a nuclear bomb into charleston to blackmail the US government.

i was 7 at the time and my older sister was babysitting me. we ended up watching it for some reason (TV was A LOT more limited back then) and we had no idea that whole fucking thing was fake because we we're just kids home alone who didn't know any better, or maybe my sister did know and was just stringing me along.

either way, it scared the ever living shit out of me. i literally though Charleston, SC was about to be imminently destroyed by a nuclear bomb as we were watching it. i was shaking by the time my parents finally came home and had to explain to me that it was all just a silly movie.

It was my version of "The War of the Worlds" radio broadcast back in the '30s.
I remember that movie; I was 13 at the time. But for some reason, I wasn't freaked out by it. In fact, my friend and I were actually laughing about it at school the next day. I think it was because we were older kids.

I'm thinking your sister was stringing you along, because I remember after the commercials, they would do disclaimers saying that what you were watching wasn't real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I was a kid during the Reagan era and remembered that TV movie "The Day After"..and that movie freaked the hell out of a lot people...especially my age. We didn't have the Cuban Missile Crisis looming over us...but we still had the imagery.
Even though I was 13 when this TV movie came out, this one for some reason did freak me out. I think it was the imagery of the people at ground zero being "vaporized" when the nuclear bomb hit, even though I'm sure it was done with outdated cheesy effects.

Another nuclear holocaust movie that came out in 1983, one that was released in theaters, was called "Testament," which a few years later my 9th grade classmates and I watched in history class on VHS (maybe our teacher was out sick? I don't remember). Similar story to "The Day After," but not graphic; it was more dramatic, about a mother of 2 kids who loses her husband after he never came home from work because San Francisco got bombed and they lived in a small town 90 minutes away or something. And one by one, her kids succumb to the radiation and die. But I remember some of my classmates laughing at this movie... I guess because it was so dramatic.

A nuclear holocaust movie I have yet to see is "On the Beach," which was made in 1959, and shot on location in Australia. Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner are in it. I think Ava Gardner pissed some Aussies off because she supposedly had said something like "This looks like the perfect place to make a movie about the end of the world."

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jul 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:26 PM

On-topic: I know a lot of millenials who would even move to downtown Flint, if the housing supply were there. It's already more vibrant than it's been in 20 years.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'm profoundly disappointed in our voter turnout (to be fair, I missed several elections when I was younger and attending college out of state) but I expected us to be more vocal and take more action about the shit we encountered. The Boomers organized civil rights rallies, Woodstock and massive antiwar protests and Gen Z had March For Our Lives. What the hell did Millennials do besides a few feeble antiwar protests leading up to the 2003 Invasion of Iraq? Nothing we've done, comparatively, has been as good as those who came before us and after us.
I know I didn’t start voting until Obama’s second term just because the disillusionment with the world; I remember sitting in high school history watching the second towers hit and remember several peers enlisting. Vietnam was much worse, as my mom would tell stories about all the people she knew that didn’t come back or came back and were very different.

My biggest source of disillusionment was the financial crisis and there period shortly after I graduated college during the financial crisis. It really did suck being underemployed and working at a grocery store right after getting my BS.

I’m not as underwhelmed with our generation as you are as there’s still time. Like I said, Vietnam was an order magnitude worse for the general population so I don’t really see the “war on terror” as a our Vietnam. There’s nothing comparable to desegregation for our generation.

Quote:
Hell, look at the disdain we receive from several formers here for our entitlement and profound selfishness. I know a lot of us here arent like that (I am, but that's a separate matter) but collectively, we've been pretty terrible when compared to our counterpart generations.
I blame the parents (boomers).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:08 PM

My guess is the millennials are moving to where there is an electric scooter on every corner and the spiked seltzer is plentiful.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
A nuclear holocaust movie I have yet to see is "On the Beach," which was made in 1959, and shot on location in Australia. Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner are in it. I think Ava Gardner pissed some Aussies off because she supposedly had said something like "This looks like the perfect place to make a movie about the end of the world."
On the Beach was a classic novel of the early Cold War period. Some kids in my school classes would read it for book reports periodically. Later it was made into a decent movie. The plot isn't really about Australia. It's about a Navy submarine that survives the nuclear war being submerged and comes up off the US west coast to find the place devestated so it goes to Australia which is still intact (but maybe not intact enough for Ava Gardner--I did visit Australia in the 1970s and generally it resembled America a decade earlier such as even in the hottest parts air conditioning still seemed uncommon).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:52 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

child of the 80s/90s here...for some reason i grew up thinking that the turn of the millennium would usher in some kind of apocalypse or otherwise technological dystopia...perhaps a horrific "first contact." i grew up watching x-files and twin peaks... i wasn't alone, i seem to remember this sort of thinking as being fairly standard in the mid 90s youth culture, reared on industrial music...i was only a few decades off.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i grew up thinking that the turn of the millennium would usher in some kind of apocalypse or otherwise technological dystopia...perhaps a horrific "first contact." i grew up watching x-files and twin peaks... i wasn't alone, i seem to remember this sort of thinking as being fairly standard in the mid 90s youth culture, reared on industrial music...i was only a few decades off.
Indeed you weren't alone. Federal Reserve Chair Allen Greenspan believed it too which is why at the end of the 90s decade he pumped up the money supply so egregiously, hoping to ward off economic cataclysm when all the world's computers crashed, that he caused the subsequent market collapse of the early 2000s once it became clear nothing was happening and he had to try to uncreate all that cash.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions