Empire State Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 3:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
1930's New York had the best skyline that has ever existed in this world, no doubt about it, there's just no contest. The dramatic spires, the nearly perfect symmetry,
the gorgeous and opulent Art Deco skyscrapers, the contrast between the tall buildings and the mid rises, it was perfection. I wish I was alive during that time to see it.
Maybe we're getting something along the lines of that will all of the new construction further pushing the skyline around Brooklyn and Queens. We'll see.

Tony Shi

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 9:12 PM

Hey everyone heck out my latest video from today:

BY:QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0uc_om71to

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:03 AM

Its a travesty that this iconic building stands defaced by so many antennas while 1WTC has all kinds of space and not one single antenna to my knowledge has even been placed on it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Its a travesty that this iconic building stands defaced by so many antennas while 1WTC has all kinds of space and not one single antenna to my knowledge has even been placed on it.
I agree, they really fucked up the top portion of the building and it seems they don't care to restore it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 3:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 9:31 PM
Mr. Technology

I have a huge model of the Empire State Building in my living room and from the closeup pics, it looks exactly the same!

The best purchase I made several years ago on New Year's eve!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 4:14 AM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/8/5/123829...ng-office-tour

Touring Shutterstock’s Empire State Building headquarters
A 21st century media company makes a home in the aging Empire State Building

BY ZOE ROSENBERG
AUG 5, 2016
PHOTOS BY MAX TOUHEY

Quote:
The Empire State Building celebrated its 85th birthday this year. The Art Deco skyscraper is an icon of the New York City skyline and, although it predates this term, the city’s first supertall tower. It’s home to one of the most popular observation decks in the world. If you were to lay it on its side, the building and its spire would stretch farther than the width of the Pentagon. With its decades of superlatives, it’s easy to lose sight of the Empire State Building in its most basic form: it’s an office building. And despite its age in this tech-forward era, despite its competition at Hudson Yards or at the World Trade Center, the Empire State Building’s still got it.

Case in point: global licensing company Shutterstock, with its 1.4 million customers in 150 countries, moved its world headquarters to the Empire State Building in 2014. It wasn’t just the building’s cachet that brought the company there, says Shutterstock’s Head of Global Facilities and Operations Razia Ferdousi-Meyer. A whole host of factors were at play, not the least of which is the building’s central location for commuting employees. It didn’t hurt either that Shutterstock CEO Jon Oringer is friendly with the building bigwigs, who granted the company express permission to build their space out in a way that complimented a collaborative workplace for a company born of this century.

Of course Shutterstock also did its part in making sure the Empire State Building worked for them. They brought in architecture firm Studios to remake their 79,000 square feet on floors 20 and 21 in a way that’s meaningful beyond its appearance. Before the renovation, Shutterstock analyzed 50,000 hours of meeting time culled from over seven months to determine the amount, and composition, of conference rooms needed to accommodate their growing team. Anyone who works in a collaborative corporate culture knows that coming by adequate meeting space is a struggle. In their New York City office, Shutterstock has it on lock.

In the Empire State Building, Shutterstock created its own superlatives: it’s the only company to have an internal staircase connecting two floors, and it’s the only company to have access to the terraces off of its office. The staircase speaks for itself, but the two terraces provide a rare amenity for its many employees: outdoor space with Wi-Fi. Although no one was out there enjoying the terraces midday on a recent visit, Ferdousi-Meyer made a point of saying they don’t go unused. The office sometimes holds company-wide happy hours out there, and on other occasions they’re sometimes used as a staging ground for the office’s meditation classes.

That is, when the meditation classes depart from the bona fide yoga studio they’re most often held in. Despite being in the Empire State Building in New York City, the office’s amenities seem more common to those of the tech start-ups of Silicon Valley. For starters, Shutterstock brings a personal chef in every day to prepare lunch for employees—menus, of course, make exceptions for those who are gluten free, vegan, or have food allergies—which is served free of charge in the office’s cafeteria area. Snacks like fresh-cut fruit and yogurt are always on hand, as is coffee.

Employees at Shutterstock work nine- to ten-hour days on average, so the office brings wellness activities in that its employees might have a hard time fitting into their schedules. Yoga and meditation classes are taught regularly in the evenings, complimentary masseuses are bookable in 15-minute increments every Friday. An 8-bit-themed game room holds a ping pong table, and down the hall in a different themed room, game consuls are available for the playing.

It takes a discerning eye to see through the office’s updated design, game rooms and all, to the Art Deco character of the Empire State Building’s interiors. For all that Shutterstock was allowed to change, there were things they could not. Original Art Deco grills that cover the radiators had to stay. Instead of obscuring that design, it was imitated in the decorative screen that lines the office’s central staircase. Original panels announce the floors at the elevators. A mail chute installed in the 1930s still runs letters to the ground floor.

For this company, the age of its NYC home base does not equate to old. With a little innovation and some good design, the space has been elevated to match Shutterstock’s entrepreneurial spirit. "Honestly," Ferdousi-Meyer says, "I wake up every day and can’t believe I work in the Empire State Building."

Shutterstock is the only company with access to their terrace. Much of it them are taken up by greenery.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:59 PM
Mr. Technology

I wonder if they're hiring?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 9:04 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm surprised the building's management allowed them to punch a hole in the floor like that. And the city's landmarks board for OK'ing the green terrace.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:58 AM
Crane Goddess

Internal staircases are absolutely a thing when a tenant takes up multiple floors- they do have to get management's okay, and they have to make sure that they're not hurting any vital structural members of the building when they do it. And if they move out, then they will be responsible for taking that staircase out and putting the floor back in.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 10:22 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm surprised the building's management allowed them to punch a hole in the floor like that. And the city's landmarks board for OK'ing the green terrace.
Well, 'ya know, the lease is probably pretty high for such a deal.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 5:37 PM

I just saw this picture, what are they doing/did they do to the spire?!?!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 3:50 PM
DENNAB

I noticed that in another picture, I'm not sure but I actually don't think it looks that bad. It's almost as if the roof height has been slightly extended.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I noticed that in another picture, I'm not sure but I actually don't think it looks that bad. It's almost as if the roof height has been slightly extended.
http://www.esbnyc.com/sites/default/...lease_20161013

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 12:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Someone asked me about that a while back. I figured the had already started.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300344642.html

Empire State Building Revolutionizes Skyscraper Construction
Unveils First-of-its-Kind Protective Cocoon for Broadcasting Tower Restoration Project

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Empire State Realty Trust, Inc.
Oct 13, 2016

Quote:
Empire State Realty Trust announced today another innovation at the Empire State Building (ESB) where a new project is underway to install a new auxiliary Master FM Radio antenna on its famed tower. An innovative, protective construction cocoon at the base of ESB's antenna tower has avoided impact on day-to-day operations of the building. The cocoon extends the once limited work window from 5 hours per day (due to Observatory hours) to 24 hours per day, even during inclement weather, and also allows a greatly reduced sidewalk scaffolding.

The project itself will result in an end to disruption to broadcast operations. Previously, work on the tower could require a shutdown of certain broadcast operations. The new antenna installation includes a radio-frequency-shielded climbing aperture which allows television antenna work on ESB's tower to be performed without impacting existing radio signals. As the largest known construction enclosure ever assembled atop an occupied skyscraper, this success of this innovative cocoon strategy has the potential to change the construction processes of other existing and functioning skyscrapers around the world.

The tower restoration project, led by JLL and Skanska, is slated to be completed in 2017. In addition to the installation of the antenna, a new FM auxiliary combiner – the largest known FM combiner in the world - will be installed on the tower, which will enable the radio frequencies of all 19 stations to be transmitted from the newly installed Master FM Radio antenna.

"As the World's Most Famous Building, the Empire State Building constantly innovates, and this new construction protection process in our tower restoration project is just another example," says Thomas P. Durels, Executive Vice President and Director of Leasing and Operations, Empire State Realty Trust. "The Empire State Building, fortunately, attracts the best and the brightest to our work, and the world benefits."

About the Empire State Building

Soaring 1,454 feet above Midtown Manhattan (from base to antenna), the Empire State Building, owned by Empire State Realty Trust, Inc., is the "World's Most Famous Building." With new investments in energy efficiency, infrastructure, public areas and amenities, the Empire State Building has attracted first-rate tenants in a diverse array of industries from around the world. The skyscraper's robust broadcasting technology supports major television and FM radio stations in the New York metropolitan market.

The Empire State Building was named America's favorite building in a poll conducted by the American Institute of Architects, and the Empire State Building Observatory is one of the world's most beloved attractions as the region's #1 tourist destination. For more information on the Empire State Building, please visit www.empirestatebuilding.com, www.facebook.com/empirestatebuilding, @EmpireStateBldg, www.instagram.com/empirestatebldg, http://weibo.com/empirestatebuilding, www.youtube.com/esbnyc or www.pinterest.com/empirestatebldg/.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 8:23 PM
Mr. Technology

I have a huge Empire State Building anchoring a corner of my living room and now I have to build a replica attachment to retrofit my tower.
I'm thinking a few paper clips will be sacrificed along with wax paper.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:01 PM
New Yorker for life

A day late, but not to forget the Halloween lighting...

Video Link

This is always a favorite...

Video Link

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NYonAir/...=page_internal

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 1:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Had a conversation just yesterday with someone who used to work at the top of the Empire State...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-some...mit-1478251805

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture