HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 5:57 PM

^ The one dissenter:

Only Ald. David Moore, 17th, voted against the matter. Moore said he could not support it because the development would require about $175 million of city infrastructure improvements and it was not clear where the city would get that funding. Voting to spend money on the center, while streets in his Englewood community remain riddled with potholes and easily flood, would be a vote against his constituents, he said.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:03 PM

I'm kind of against it going in Jackson Park, when there's lots of cheap vacant land around there they could have used. For the Lucas Museum they were building it on a parking lot and creating parkland, which seemed like a win win. While this they are taking parkland when they don't have to. The Friends of the Park spent all their time on the wrong museum to me. Why not have him make create land for a new Obama Park? Instead of taking land from a landmarked park?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
I'm kind of against it going in Jackson Park, when there's lots of cheap vacant land around there they could have used. For the Lucas Museum they were building it on a parking lot and creating parkland, which seemed like a win win. While this they are taking parkland when they don't have to. The Friends of the Park spent all their time on the wrong museum to me. Why not have him make create land for a new Obama Park? Instead of taking land from a landmarked park?
yup

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:31 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

^^ Ego is the only satisfactory answer.

Just because the person in question is well received and revered by the public in the community should be no reason to sell out our parks like a cheap suit.

Would Londoners allow a Churchill center of this size in Hyde Park? Would New Yorkers allow a Roosevelt Center this size in Central Park? Why do we allow it in one of most prized parks is a question we ought to ask.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:39 PM

short answer, it isn't one of our most prized parks and 99% of the city has never been

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
short answer, it isn't one of our most prized parks and 99% of the city has never been
Indeed. Plus that park has been altered/reshaped/changed so much through the years that any hue and cry to keep it in its original state lacks credulity and smacks of being a red herring.

This is a good development. In a perfect world it would have landed in an abandoned, weed infested lot. But the world is not perfect... in lieu of perfection I will gladly take this.

This is a good day for the South Side and for the entire city of Chicago.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:02 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Denigrating Jackson Park in order to justify the land grab. Nice.

Yea, the park where the 1893 World's Fair took place. The only major park on the south side that fronts the lake. Yea, Jackson Park may rank 12th on the list of Chicago's numerous sizable parks.

If 99% of the city or metro has ever been is really immaterial and just an excuse to justify the grab. Change the name or purpose of the building and the allowance wouldn't come so readily. And it shouldn't matter who/what the building's functions are past the fact that they impose themselves ON the park.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
For the Lucas Museum they were building it on a parking lot and creating parkland
As I recall, this project will also create more parkland. The entire lakefront is protected, so the argument about a "landmarked park" compared to lakefront land is kinda weak.

Every dissent I hear about this project is so weak that it leads me to believe people have other motives for their complaints (politics?). The chorus goes out time and time again for wealthy people to invest in under-served urban areas. When someone actually does it, the first reaction is criticism. "Not this particular location" or "Not this particular community".

In reality, Woodlawn has an average household income below the regional average. It is also close enough to UofC to extend that development node to the south and help it spread (hopefully) to South Shore and Grand Crossing.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:34 PM

^I doubt the descent is politically motivated; some people just don’t like it. I’m strongly against the former President’s politics but I think this is a fine location for the Center. It’s underutilized land and it will be cool to see such a complex on the southern shores of Lake Michigan.

Last edited by Skyguy_7; May 23, 2018 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:50 PM

This fetish for parks is strange. One of Chicago's largest and most visible parks, Grant Park, is hardly used. I can't imagine Jackson Park is swarming with people typically. The Obama Center, I imagine, will actually draw people to the park.

And the soldier filed parking lot on the lake will remain that for our lifetimes due to fools.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:16 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This fetish for parks is strange. One of Chicago's largest and most visible parks, Grant Park, is hardly used. I can't imagine Jackson Park is swarming with people typically. The Obama Center, I imagine, will actually draw people to the park.

And the soldier filed parking lot on the lake will remain that for our lifetimes due to fools.
Losing the Lucas museum is probably one of the most infuriating things to happen to this city in a long while.

As for the Obama Chicago Public Library annex/digital file warehouse, or whatever they are calling it now, while I prefer it to have been built on vacant land, I don't mind it going in Jackson Park, especially with the removal of Cornell Drive. I think the footprint of the museum is pretty close to the square footage of asphalt that will be removed, so its somewhat of a wash when it comes to parkland actually being consumed.
The city footing the bill for the infrastructure investment I am less fond of, however.

In the end, I'm feel pretty meh about this. I'm glad Chicago is getting the 'Obama memorial study hall with books building', but not fully excited by the design or placement.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 11:20 PM

An interesting fact worth sharing: The collection of Obama’s files, artifacts, books are currently stored here in Chicagoland. Specifically, in a brand new warehouse in Hoffman Estates, built especially for these files, with non-union labor and built by mostly Russians.. They were busted by union business agents towards the end of the project. Going non-union on a commercial project of that scale is not illegal, but definitely frowned upon. Cracks me up that it was built by Russians.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 11:57 PM

Does the Obama Presidential Library still have that parking lot on the Midway Plaisance? I hope not.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 12:05 AM
1st Ward

The garage was scrapped (thankfully) since community groups rightly realized that it would screw up the visual appeal and public access to the dedicated green space of Midway Plaisance. Last I checked, the garage will now be located underneath the main library building, unless there has been a change to that plan that I am unaware of.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:41 AM
Urbane observer

How did it end up in Jackson Park? Oprah said that was the only proper place for it.

I recently had a chat with someone who, while not in the room himself, knew folks who were. He said that Oprah stood up and told the site selection committee that major Chicago institutions go in parks on the lakefront; nowhere else. Frank Gehry resigned from the committee later that day.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 11:43 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
How did it end up in Jackson Park? Oprah said that was the only proper place for it.

I recently had a chat with someone who, while not in the room himself, knew folks who were. He said that Oprah stood up and told the site selection committee that major Chicago institutions go in parks on the lakefront; nowhere else. Frank Gehry resigned from the committee later that day.
Well, to be fair...

It certainly does seem that many, if not most of Chicago's greatest institutions are located on or near the Lakefront or in a major park. Field, Shedd, MSI, AIC, Adler, Soldier Field (debatable about being a cultural treasure, but whatever), list actually goes on and on... Even the Chicago History Museum is pretty close to the Lakefront, and of course right on the edge of Lincoln Park (speaking of Lincoln Park, how about the Zoo???)

I've never understood what the huge opposition is/was to the Obama Center being located on the edge of Jackson Park. Maybe being an outsider I just don't get it, but it seems to me to be a win-win situation, especially since it would seem that the park would see MORE use as a result of additional visitors to the Presidential Museum.

Ah well, just my $0.02.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post

Excellent post. I agree on all points... including the Soldier Field parking lot. As for Jackson Park, you are right, it is not being used as much as it should be used and indeed large parts sit in disrepair... that will likely turnaround now with the addition of the Obama Library. A win for the community, the city and yes, the park itself.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Excellent post. I agree on all points... including the Soldier Field parking lot. As for Jackson Park, you are right, it is not being used as much as it should be used and indeed large parts sit in disrepair... that will likely turnaround now with the addition of the Obama Library. A win for the community, the city and yes, the park itself.
Exactly. And to be clear, I am not advocating for eliminating parks, I personally love parks. I also love Museums. They go perfectly together.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:40 PM

As someone who lives two blocks away from Jackson Park, the OPC is the best thing that could happen to the park. My family and everyone I know utilizes pretty much every other park space in and around Hyde Park, Woodlawn, South Shore, Washington Park, Kenwood, Bronzeville, etc. except for Jackson Park, mainly because Cornell Dr. makes the park so uninviting. Just to cross the 6 lane road on foot, you have to wait to sprint across because cars are flying by at 40+ mph. Once you cross to start walking the path on Wooded Island and to enjoy the lagoon, you have the blight of the fencing, road and cars to your west. The thing I'm the most excited about from the renderings is it seems there will be a new path along the westside of the West Lagoon along with some lawns for people to actually gather, picnic, etc. Also, the increased foot traffic in the more wooded portion of Wooded Island will make it feel more secure. With the improvements and making the spaces not cut off from each other, Jackson Park could be restored to a really amazing park space where people from all the surrounding neighborhoods gather.

It's hard to wrap my mind around how park groups can be opposed to cutting off Cornell Dr, a 60s affront to their supposedly beloved Olmsted design. Chicago has so few park spaces like in Prospect Park, Central Park, Golden Gate Park, etc. where you don't have to see cars whirling by while in the park.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:48 PM
The City

^ There are, unfortunately, too many hypocrites in Chicago who probably are glued to their cars. They fight in the name of "park space" only when it compromises parking or roads.

Nobody stopped all of those roads that cut through and forever ruined Grant Park because, after all, car is king.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development