HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
The west side is closer than the east side for those of us in the North End. It's a lot easier to just jump across the Falls Bridge and go through Simms rather than driving all the way out east.
I agree. I actually live in Millidgeville, and just zip across Reversing Falls Bridge and do what I can on the west side.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:21 AM
Believer in the future

Finally!

FREDERICTON - While city staff scramble to make the Peel Plaza project a reality, a spokesperson with Supply and Services Department says the provincial courthouse is a go regardless.

Chrystiane Mallaley said construction will begin later this winter, and as far as the department is concerned, the city's plans to build a new police station and parking garage on the same site have not changed.

"The courthouse design has been the product of collaboration and good faith with the city," Mallaley said. "The design has included those elements that were meant to be shared between the two projects, including the holding cells and parking."

The $45-million Peel Plaza project hit a serious rough patch on December 16 - the deadline for three private national firms to submit bids on the work.

None of the firms that the city had short-listed submitted a bid.

But Bill Edwards, the city's project manager, insists it's not a dead deal.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 1:56 AM
Believer in the future

Peel Plaza Hold-Up

Saint John Police Chief Isn't Batting An Eyelash When It Comes To Peel Plaza Hold-Up

SAINT JOHN, NB - While a deadline for private firms to bid on building Peel Plaza has passed more than two weeks ago, Saint John Police Chief Bill Reid isn't batting an eyelash.

He says the P3 model is only one of several options out there and that regardless of how it's built, the new 45 million dollar police headquarters and parking garage will go ahead because of necessity.

"I think what is understood by everyone is that there's a need; that the facilities that we presently have are deficient; and that we have to upgrade those facilities," he said. "A new police headquarters exactly fits that need."

Reid says common council remains on board with the idea, and he has full confidence that the police force will be moving into new digs in the future.

The aim is to have Peel Plaza ready by the end of March 2011.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 3:42 AM

They want to have it ready by next March? haha That's hilarious! They don't even have it out to tender yet, or have any interested private developers! I'd be shocked if it got built at all, let alone ready to use by next March.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 4:00 AM
Believer in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
They want to have it ready by next March? haha That's hilarious! They don't even have it out to tender yet, or have any interested private developers! I'd be shocked if it got built at all, let alone ready to use by next March.
I agree with you 100%. Saint John is notorious for fence sitting and dreaming and taking years to move. I suspect this will be no different. Heck, it already is living up to the reputation with procrastination, delays, bickering, etc.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:31 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

What's to be done with the space currently occupied by the police? Leased out as commercial space?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I'm surprised that the Telegraph Journal didn't use the word "slated" this time. They always make ridiculous comments that major developments are "slated" for completion in a totally unrealistic amount of time. I think I remember reading a long time ago that the Fort Dufferin condos were slated to be open in the fall of 2008 when the article only came out in January or something.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 2:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
What's to be done with the space currently occupied by the police? Leased out as commercial space?
That's the assumption, although that building needs major renovation.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 11:56 PM

Good thing the city tore down a couple of buildings to make sure Peel Plaza goes through.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 6:23 PM

Recieved: Friday, January 08, 2010 8:48 AM
Subject: Waterfront Development - Open House

Saint John Waterfront Development is pleased to invite you to a most interesting and invigorating event on January 13, 2010, 4pm-8pm, at the NB Museum.

A variety of proposed and potential developments will be displayed with appropriate stakeholder representatives in attendance to offer additional details and/or information regarding their respective projects – Long Wharf, Long Wharf Slip, Fort La Tour, Coast Guard Site, Harbourfront Residences, YMCA, Partridge Island, Reversing Falls, Stone Hammer Geo-Park and Princess Park.

It should be an exciting evening – great displays, ability to talk directly with stakeholders and excellent opportunity for public/business feedback.

An invitation will be extended in the Telegraph Journal on Saturday to offer the general public an opportunity to participate and provide feedback.

Should you have any questions or need further information, please call our office, 649-6066 or 674-4152.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 6:33 PM

Public Input Sessions: Bikeways and Trails Plan - January 11-14, 2010

The City of Saint John is seeking input regarding priorities for future trails and bikeways. See website for more details.

If anyone is interested in the article below discussing "segregated bike lanes" and plan on attending, you should bring this up at one of the sessions!
http://www.streetsblog.org/2006/06/2...ty-looks-like/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 5:18 PM

Courthouse

From the TJ

SAINT JOHN - Depending on the weather, work could begin next month on the justice complex at Peel Plaza, says Ed Doherty, minister of Supply and Services and MLA for Saint John Harbour.

"The tenders are out for the foundation and the structural steel and they will close on Jan. 28," he said.

The response to the request for tenders has been good and once a company is chosen in early February Doherty is sure they will want to get to work.

"A lot of winter construction is dependant on the weather but most contractors are anxious to get going," he said. "Other projects I have been involved with, once the tenders are awarded, if they can get to work at all, they will."

The province is overseeing the project after concluding that a public-private partnership would be more expensive than borrowing the money to pay for the new structure. The lowest bid to finance, build, operate and maintain the courthouse over 30 years would have cost taxpayers $133 million. A consultant estimated the province could oversee construction and maintain its own building for about $110 million over the same time period.

The initial price tag for building the justice complex is estimated at $53 million.

"It will create lots and lots of work in Saint John and have good economic spin offs," Doherty said.

The City of Saint John has also committed to building a new police station and parking garage in the plaza and had been exploring financing it through a public-private partnership, or P3. However the three companies selected by the city to provide quotes declined to do so after the province chose a traditional financing model for the courthouse.

"We are responsible for getting the best buy for the taxpayer's dollar, and it wasn't in the P3s, despite the fact that we have had a very good experience with P3s in the Moncton courthouse and schools in Moncton," Doherty said.

Over the next few months other tenders will be issued for other phases of the justice complex. The building is expected to be open for business by the spring or summer of 2012.

"This will be an icon for the City of Saint John, overlooking Harbour Station," Doherty said. "It's a beautifully designed building and we are really looking forward to getting the shovels in the ground and seeing it completed."

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 12:02 PM

Waterfront Open House

Did anyone manage to snap and pictures of the display boards at the open house last night? I wish I could have been there!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 12:37 PM

Waterfront Open House

From the TJ

SAINT JOHN - The harbourfront will be unrecognizable in 10 years if even just a few of the projects now under discussion, and presented at an open house Wednesday, are completed.

"It's all about getting discussions going and feedback on what people think about all the projects," said Kent MacIntyre, the new general manager of Saint John Waterfront Development.

He expects work will begin this year on the Coast Guard site.

"We are very close to securing the property," he said. "That should happen anywhere from 30 to 60 days at which time we sill start moving forward with the Hardman Group."

One thing that will be completed this year is a green space eco-hub on the waterfront at the foot of Princess Street, he said. Whether it will be called Princess Park or Pugsley Park is still up in the air, but tenders will soon be going out on that project.

"The eco-hub is part of that $500,000 that Frank McKenna and TD Bank donated for five ecological sites along Harbour Passage, each worth $100,000," MacIntyre said. McKenna is deputy chairman of the TD Bank Financial Group.

The interpretive signs at the new park will focus on marine mammals.

The open house included information on plans for Long Wharf, Fort La Tour, the Coast Guard site, developer John Rocca's harbourfront condos, the StoneHammer geopark which has applied to be the first in North America to be recognized by UNESCO, Reversing Falls upgrades, Partridge Island, boardwalk refurbishment and finding a new permanent location for the YMCA-YWCA.

A major multi-year plan has already been unveiled to bring Reversing Falls back as a major tourist destination. It will see development on both sides of the Reversing Falls Bridge.

"Work this year will depend on the (city's) capital budget, which will be approved sometime in February," MacIntyre said. "The city is a major stakeholder in Reversing Falls, it is their site and its all about bringing it back to a class A site for Tourism New Brunswick."

Colin Whitcomb, executive vice-president of the Hardman Group, was showing off drawings of what will go up on the Coast Guard site once the land is transferred. The drawings showed a multi-storey condominium apartment building across from the Hilton Hotel with another hotel in behind it. It also shows an extension of Harbour Passage along the water in front of the proposed condos.

A model of the condo development planned by Rocca was also a big draw. Yvonne Holmes of Rothesay can't wait to move into the condo she has purchased near Three Sisters Park at the foot of Water Street, where construction is scheduled to start in the spring.

"I am originally from Halifax and I moved here about 10 years ago and I have always loved Saint John. The people are extra friendly, the city has a small town feel to it and I love the architecture," she said.

Warren Long, program developer for the Irving Group of companies, had several drawings of plans for the Long Wharf site that the company wants to acquire from the federal government.

"We are still working through a very complex land deal and we still have to get that settled," he said.

A new concept recently unveiled calls for filling in part of Long Wharf slip to make more public space near Harbour Passage, as well as creating more development opportunities.

"It's an idea of what that could look like," he said.

Plans have also been drawn up to create a walking trail out to Partridge Island over the breakwater and put up signs to show what the community looked like at its peak as an immigration centre.

"This is something we plan to take to the public this year and talk about as a project for the next three years or so," said Bill MacMackin, vice chairman of the Waterfront Development.

It can only go ahead if the federal government agrees to sell or lease the land to the city, he said. The work envisioned in the plan would cost about $4.5 million.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 4:35 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
A major multi-year plan has already been unveiled to bring Reversing Falls back as a major tourist destination. It will see development on both sides of the Reversing Falls Bridge.

Plans have also been drawn up to create a walking trail out to Partridge Island over the breakwater and put up signs to show what the community looked like at its peak as an immigration centre.
I think the secret to making Reversing Falls a better tourist attraction would be removing the pulp and paper mill that, you know, sits right on top of it. Just a small thought.

If they improve Patridge Island and show off "what it looked like as an immigration centre", are they going to change the name of Negro Pt. which is where the breakwater starts? Or will they keep that lovely historical piece of information?

Another thought that I have had is that if they're building high-rises on the Coast Guard site, what are they going to have a view of? Wouldn't they mainly have a waterfront view of the Port on the west side of town? Of Harbour Bridge? Personally I think the better views of the harbour are from the new houses on Chesley Avenue or from Martello Tower. I understand that they need to develop that part of the uptown quite badly and I cannot wait until they start developing it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 8:35 PM

Can't see how the falls can be a major tourist attraction with the pulp mill staring you in the face.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Can't see how the falls can be a major tourist attraction with the pulp mill staring you in the face.
Look the other direction? haha

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 1:10 PM

Great news for the waterfront as well, I understand they are looking at either the Red Rose Tea parking lot, or the lot beside Long Wharf/Skate park. Personally I'd like to see SJ Energy take their stupid substation out of prime real estate and build the new Y there, but I doubt that will happen.
Quote:
Y looking at waterfront home
Published Friday January 15th, 2010

SAINT JOHN - The Saint John YMCA-YWCA wants a piece of the action as the city's waterfront revival continues.

The organization, which has been without a permanent home for about two years, wants to construct a new building along the harbour, chief executive officer Pat Davis said Thursday.

"Our preferred site is closer to the waterfront," Davis said.

The recommendations came in a study released about two years ago, saying the YMCA-YWCA should locate somewhere between Long Wharf and Wellington Row.

But Davis said she didn't want to get people's hopes up, so kept quiet on the idea until now.

"We wanted to make sure the decision we make is the right decision," she said.

The location could be anywhere from the Red Rose Tea building parking lot, to Long Wharf Slip, to anywhere in between, she said.

"We're busy talking to the owners of those properties right now to see what's best for us."

The location is important to the kind of people the Y wants to serve, Davis said.

The study showed the uptown is an accessible location to the entire Saint John region, as well as people who can't afford memberships, she said. The Y never turns anyone away.

The Y has been a part of the community for 155 years and the organization has a part to play in keeping the uptown vibrant, she said.

"We need to assist the waterfront and the uptown in creating an animated place to be - where people wanted to work and play."

The Y now has 13 locations throughout the city, including the settlement services office on Broadview Avenue and a gym at Prince Edward Square. Davis said the latter two leases expire sometime around 2012.

After a new building is constructed, most of the city offices would remain open to continue serving the community, she said.

The new building would house a fitness centre, gym, pool, multipurpose space, child care and settlement services.

A new YMCA building in Fredericton is set to cost $19 million, but Davis expects the Saint John building could cost more when factoring in environmental costs and the higher cost of waterfront real estate.

The organization would approach all levels of government for funding, run a capital campaign and perhaps take on strategic debt, she said.

The former building on Hazen Street was torn down 2½ years ago.

Davis said it's important for the Y to have a significant presence in the city.

"It's a place where a whole family can come together."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM

Using all the wonders of technology - including GIF imaing - the city is advertising the public launch of the municipal planning process.

Here's the link: http://saintjohn.ca/municipalplan_launch.cfm

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonPlaceorThing View Post
I could see a a franchisor thinking that the west side is underserved by restaurants, and wanting to locate there.
Having recently moved back home to SJ from Ottawa and bought a house on the west side, I completely agree. The west side IS under-served by restaurants.

Sampan is great, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces