HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
It's official: Lake Oswego groups file appeal to stop the Wizer project
Oct 31, 2014, 10:13am PDT

Jon Bell
Staff Reporter-
Portland Business Journal

When the Lake Oswego City Council voted 5-2 in September to let Evergreen Group LLC's development project for the Wizer Block proceed, opponents vowed to appeal to the State Land Use Board of Appeals.
Late last week, they proved true to their word and officially filed their appeal with LUBA.

Greg Hathaway, an attorney with Hathaway Koback Connors LLP, filed the appeal on behalf of three Lake Oswego groups: Save Our Village, the Evergreen Neighborhood Association and LO 138 LLC, a group representing Lakeview Village just across from the proposed development.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 9:39 PM

I have to admit, if there were a new volcanic cone to open up somewhere in Oregon, I'd hope it would happen under the houses of these hacks.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:25 PM

Hopefully city council just laughs in their faces.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:05 AM

LUBA is a state body, so it's out of the hands of the Lake Oswego city council now. As I understand it, LUBA only hears evidence on a fairly narrow basis, such as whether Lake Oswego followed state law and its own zoning code correctly.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:43 AM

Well then I hope LUBA laughs in their faces.

I kid, I kid. I just really want to see LO grow.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 1:02 AM
A before E

If Lake O doesn't want this development, I would love to see it in downtown Milwaukie.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 4:20 AM

Long time browser, first time poster..

I have not seen a link for this yet and thought I'd share it. The Eagle Landing development has been in the planning stages for more than a few years and it looks like the next phase is slated to start in the next year. This website launched a couple months ago and there have been a few community meetings recently.
Quote:

WHAT IS EAGLE LANDING
Eagle Landing is a premier walkable urban environment in the economic heart of Portland metro’s east side. Eagle Landing is large enough in visibility, scope, and architectural excellence to truly live, work, shop and play in lush Northwest surroundings.
...Continued at eaglelanding.us

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 4:49 AM
A before E

Holy sh*t! Is that seriously a downtown plan for Clackamas? Never thought I would see something like this over there.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 5:55 AM

This is alive?

Wow. I thought this project had died off, but it's awesome to hear it's still moving on. I know that when the Green Line was getting planned this was a factor in it moving forward, but I'm pleasantly surprised to hear it's still alive! This sounded like it could work similar to the UTC neighborhood of San Diego which is a mall near a freeway that has a bunch of high rises built next to town houses, and on the edges more it's suburban style housing.

It seems like with the Green Line and I-205 right there this might work well.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:16 AM

That thing looks like it has an underground sea of parking. Are they serious with that crap if it's actually near the green line? The renderings look like a suburban development that's been "urban washed."

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
That thing looks like it has an underground sea of parking. Are they serious with that crap if it's actually near the green line? The renderings look like a suburban development that's been "urban washed."
Is that not exactly what this is?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Is that not exactly what this is?
Yeah- i guess so. I just hope they don't start pushing crap with a sea of parking next to the MAX. That's poor planning.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:57 AM
A before E

Quote:
I wouldn't look at it like that, guessing by the rendering, they are thinking of putting an underground garage next to the 205. This could potentially make this project a destination site as well as a good site for a park and ride to aid the Green Line.

Realistically those that live out in Clackamas will drive to this if they do not live in walking distance. It does look like the developers are thinking of the possibility of a streetcar for the development to make the project more transit friendly on a local level.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I wouldn't look at it like that, guessing by the rendering, they are thinking of putting an underground garage next to the 205. This could potentially make this project a destination site as well as a good site for a park and ride to aid the Green Line.

Realistically those that live out in Clackamas will drive to this if they do not live in walking distance. It does look like the developers are thinking of the possibility of a streetcar for the development to make the project more transit friendly on a local level.
That still looks like a ton of parking. In my opinion, a development like this could go around clackamas town center and their MAX stop in the parking lots, and there'd probably be success with just including underground parking for a small percentage of the buildings. This development is just reinforcing all the seas of lots and big box that is going on down there. It's not very pleasant on the personal level. Great for autos, though...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
That still looks like a ton of parking. In my opinion, a development like this could go around clackamas town center and their MAX stop in the parking lots, and there'd probably be success with just including underground parking for a small percentage of the buildings. This development is just reinforcing all the seas of lots and big box that is going on down there. It's not very pleasant on the personal level. Great for autos, though...
I agree that there is likely too much parking if the goal is to truly become a walkable mix use area.

The land that some of this development is proposed to be built on is owned by a large church. They are selling their property and their current building to fund a smaller building they can pay off in cash as they currently still owe on what they own right now. I found some Q&A notes (which can be found here) from a meeting they had a year ago and it sounded like there was a concern that they want to ensure there is enough parking for their events and meetings as well as for the retail and residential going in.

Hopefully this is scaled back some once the development becomes final. At least from the looks of it, the parking will mainly be underground.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMH View Post
I agree that there is likely too much parking if the goal is to truly become a walkable mix use area.

The land that some of this development is proposed to be built on is owned by a large church. They are selling their property and their current building to fund a smaller building they can pay off in cash as they currently still owe on what they own right now. I found some Q&A notes (which can be found here) from a meeting they had a year ago and it sounded like there was a concern that they want to ensure there is enough parking for their events and meetings as well as for the retail and residential going in.

Hopefully this is scaled back some once the development becomes final. At least from the looks of it, the parking will mainly be underground.
It's cool that a church is interested in developing the land, but they should certainly do it right and equitably while incorporating transit and the community. Churches are really missing the buck by keeping large surface lots when they could have housing close to their parish members in said lots. And the Green line will be close to this, right? It should behoove them to go much more low-car.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:12 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
I was just going to ask what this thing is...

Then I realized its like Disneyland!

Question: is the plan for a streetcar to circulate on top of the parking garage?

I think the connectivity a project like this has with the surrounding street environment will make or break it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
It's cool that a church is interested in developing the land, but they should certainly do it right and equitably while incorporating transit and the community. Churches are really missing the buck by keeping large surface lots when they could have housing close to their parish members in said lots. And the Green line will be close to this, right? It should behoove them to go much more low-car.
If what I can remember is correct, they were hoping some of their members would move into some of the housing going in and that they would have a positive influence on the local community with their presence there.

As for proximity to the Green Line, there is a proposed pedestrian bridge in the plans that looks to lead straight to the station. It is stated as "approved future pedestrian bridge", but I'm not sure if that means approved with ODOT or the city or the developer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMH View Post
If what I can remember is correct, they were hoping some of their members would move into some of the housing going in and that they would have a positive influence on the local community with their presence there.

As for proximity to the Green Line, there is a proposed pedestrian bridge in the plans that looks to lead straight to the station. It is stated as "approved future pedestrian bridge", but I'm not sure if that means approved with ODOT or the city or the developer.

It has the potential to be an amazing development if it's more inclusive and it doesn't provide an overabundance of unnecessary parking which would be contrary to Metro's planning ethos, and the whole point the MAX green line is there in the first place. How about low income housing options as well? A church should definitely be touting that too. It seems like a flashy mall right now, when this could be much more inviting if done right. The wall of two-story car garage under the whole thing screams as a showcase for high car living right next to the MAX; that is a big no-no. And that isn't even saying there should be no underground parking-- just not as pervasive and only in a few of the structures shown. That will truly make it a viable, welcoming community...

If they are lobbying for the streetcar to be added in, I am even more for this project... Though I really dislike the parking and am in opposition unless that changes.

It also worries me about the scale of the project so far from downtown. Is this intended as an integrative project, or a catalyst for more far flung sprawling development? Some density in suburbs is good, but a usurping of the urban core is not good-- this project seems like it would eat up a ton of land. What is currently there?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 11:52 PM

These guys proposed something five or more years ago and it was just as silly then. In fact, IIRC it was worse; there was some sort of underground people mover that went as far as the mall - I mean, come on, that's never happening. And it didn't. I'll bet this won't either.

That said, even if it does, it just seems like so much urbanwashing - a disingenuous attempt to appeal to the urban aesthetic, but with a suburban heart pumping underneath. Like Bridgeport Village.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon