HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle2 View Post
It is hardly similar to Torre Mayor.
Yes, the backside looks nothing like it, but the shape/massing of the front side looks nearly identical. To say it looks "hardly similar" to it is flat out wrong.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Wow.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 12:57 AM

the facade looks like Torre Mayor but still nice nonetheless.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:30 AM

Wow!!!

Its my understanding that that lot hasn't been developed because the foundations would be extemely complicated/expensive with the blue line below, Chicago flood canal below, and the Metra tracks above grade.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:40 AM

I hope the backside would not look like the back of Torre Mayor. It's gross. But I am not worried. I trust Chilton/Pickard's work. Their first project, 300 N. LaSalle tower, is brilliant and has earned praises from the architectural critics and us here as well. I am sure they will do well again on 200 N. Riverside.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 1:00 PM
you know where I'll be

This must be built! (Yes like everyone I wish it was 200' taller). Still, it is perfect for the site. I know it's not the most innovative design some were hoping for, but I am very happy with this design nonetheless. The views and the image offered for this tower would be so superior that I think Hines should forge ahead and launch this one completely spec if they do not land William Blair or another anchor tenant this year. Construction should begin by about summer 2008 to deliver by first quarter 2011, which leaves plenty of time for leasing this one up, witch I think will not be a problem....

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 1:12 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Here are some shots of the site. Its going to span the Metra tracks

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:25 PM

Having ridden by the river today, I actually think the height on this would be fine if its built as-is. The Riverbend tower (under 500') already gives an impressive terminating effect, so if this gets to the 700' range it will still be very striking.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:35 PM
Go Pens!

Wow!, very elegant and sleek tower!

Go Chicago!

The wide stance and elliptical shape reminds me of 333 Wacker Drive a little.

Is the rear of the building rounded as well?, I can't tell from the renders

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:42 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Great shots Tom. Just spent the lsat fifteen minutes envisioning this thing.

One thing that comes to mind for me is how would the interplay with the tracks effect future capicity or infrastructure changes with the Union Station lines by the river. If there ever was a need to add capacity or add another line leading into the station to remove incoming bottlenecks would that be serverly limited? Or will they make contigencies for that possbility or is not much to worry about?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:29 PM
Content provider

^I went by on the green line this morning right there and took a good look at it.
I was going to ask the same rail questions, as the tracks front the river on the site. Very clearly they will be in play right at the base where this building is supposed to have the boat access

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
^I went by on the green line this morning right there and took a good look at it.
I was going to ask the same rail questions, as the tracks front the river on the site. Very clearly they will be in play right at the base where this building is supposed to have the boat access
Structurally, you can picture something very similar to the Boeing build a block south. This site is more optimal, actually; since it has a sizeable surface lot to the west of the tracks, there is enough room to shore up the trackbed and actually excavate down for parking.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:33 PM
Chicagotom SSC

I looked at this for a while when I was at the site and it is possible for them to extend the river walk into the river 10 - 15 feet to come in line with the Lake Street Bridge structure.

I seems to me that they would need to be 20 feet or more above the tracks to allow for the trains to pass and mechanicals and then I guess they will terrace down to the river. I looked back at the base renderings and model and you more clearly see that the building will sit on the existing parking lot and the upper terrace will span the tracks and then a dramatic wall with stairs leading to the river.

So it will be interesting to see how they handle the end cap design to the north with the Riverbend building. Those building sit at ground level and the train runs in front of them

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:00 PM

Love the design but I think the focal point of this location deserves something taller. Maybe they can strech it another 200 feet!

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:51 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-fib View Post
Love the design but I think the focal point of this location deserves something taller. Maybe they can strech it another 200 feet!
Then again, if this one is only 650', perhaps we can hope for something even taller behind it somewhere, to pick up the unused (higher) river views.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:30 PM

museumpartktom, did you climb up on the scaffolding on the site that says "no trespassing" to take those pictures?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:51 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Yeah. Hey they looked like that what they were built to do... Anything for the Chicago Threads

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 10:16 PM
Chicago, il.- Malibu, Ca

Look at MPT's pictures I can finally see inside that building behind the "Bankrupt" "Riverbend" condo's are completely empty. I am amazed that they gave the "go ahead" to build that building when "Riverbend" went bunkrupt right after it was built. I have been a Member at E.B.C. for 16 years and it is amazing to see this area finally start to boom. I remember when this area was so vacant and the "Drink" night club was right there on fulton. wow, Chicago has come a great distance since 2000 and even more so since I moved downtown. I love to see this office space take up that eye sore.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 10:53 PM
you know where I'll be

200 N. Riverside Implications for Medici Towers Site

Someone had mentioned possible implications of the 200 N. Riverside proposal for Wolf Point. I think the much more immediate concern is what happens with the proposal for Reschke's Medici Towers site (as I think Wolf Point is likely to be several years off). The strong (imo) modern design of 200 Riverside will hopefully trigger a rethinking of the design for Medici. I really hope if he does not sell the site or alter the design sufficiently, the city should really guide Reschke to do something much more forward-looking here. I realize there was an almost comical design floating around for Medici, but there was also a more realistic one that was still pomo and very undeserving of a site like Randolph and the River. It needs something more than a Bofill or Lagrange retro love-fest. This age will come to be known as the River development boom, and it's not a time for backward-looking architecture, which is apparently the only kind that Reschke knows how to, or has any interest in doing. The daley administration and dpd need to show some leadership on this issue....Personally I think 200 N Riverside is awesome and meets the challenge...the city deserves no less from the Medici site...

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLakepoint View Post
Look at MPT's pictures I can finally see inside that building behind the "Bankrupt" "Riverbend" condo's are completely empty. I am amazed that they gave the "go ahead" to build that building when "Riverbend" went bunkrupt right after it was built. I have been a Member at E.B.C. for 16 years and it is amazing to see this area finally start to boom. I remember when this area was so vacant and the "Drink" night club was right there on fulton. wow, Chicago has come a great distance since 2000 and even more so since I moved downtown. I love to see this office space take up that eye sore.
The Drink night club you are referring to is now Carnivale. A Neuvo Latino restaurant that's pretty much packed every night.

Also I haven't heard about the riverbend bankruptcy issues. Can you fill me in? Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive