HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 11:45 PM
Website Manager

That is already done for several hundred buildings.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If you were Dylan Leblanc, what changes would you do to this website?
I would had been approved the bridge i totally made recently, but still remains pending in the diagram part....

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 1:32 PM

I would set the default marking at "Status" at the Search form at "Built", "Construction", "On-Hold" and "Destroyed", as only objects in these categories definitively left planning stage.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:19 PM
Website Manager

The default status' of Built, U/C and On-Hold were chosen because they show how a city currently looks. Proposed buildings are then included because it can be exciting to see what is in store for the future. Also, many people come to SkyscraperPage looking for proposed buildings that they have heard about in the news so I want these to be easily found. I do not want destroyed buildings to be in the default city diagrams because they do not exist in their particular city anymore. The NYC diagram would look strange if it still had the twin towers displayed, although I admit it can be still be interesting to see such a diagram, so Destroyed can easily be selected on the search form.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:30 PM
BANNED

i agree, it could have 2 previous options of selection:
- current of city: built, uc and proposed together (Stale proposed maybe)
if someone click here, the 3 options goes already as today selected, then search
- all of city: if someone wants to see all including fantasy, destroyed and the 3 of current ones, then people do not need to select all or nothing to see all in a search of a city.

IMO, for example to solve that. Any way Stale proposed is already a sub-category of proposed. So why not... I don't know about this vBulletin programming, but the same could happen to structures types. For example
- Buildings: Highrises, lowrises and so on
- all: then all or left nothing to show all.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 8:30 PM

However in some countries like Germany today big buildings and most other structures are very contraversional and proposals too often get not realized. A good example herefore are the big Ferris wheel at Berlin and the Fellbach Tower in Fellbach, where construction work did never really start in fact, although it was announced.
Although the 200 metres tall Trump Tower in Stuttgart was not built. Such a project has no good chance for realization in many German cities.

Nevertheless there existed several very unique objects in Germany like the large wooden radio towers with heights up to 190 metres, several large chimneys and some 300m+ radio masts, from which that of "Deutschlandradio III" with its UFO-type pinnacle was perhaps the most impressionant.
Interestingly from some of these objects, which exist not any more, the base is still there as it is too expensive to remove it.

Under aspects of engineering destroyed objects are always interesting, as the destruction is always involved with the question how and why was it destroyed.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
1. However in some countries like Germany today big buildings and most other structures are very contraversional and proposals too often get not realized.

2. A good example herefore are the big Ferris wheel at Berlin and the Fellbach Tower in Fellbach, where construction work did never really start in fact, although it was announced.
3. Although the 200 metres tall Trump Tower in Stuttgart was not built. Such a project has no good chance for realization in many German cities.

4. Nevertheless there existed several very unique objects in Germany like the large wooden radio towers with heights up to 190 metres, several large chimneys and some 300m+ radio masts, from which that of "Deutschlandradio III" with its UFO-type pinnacle was perhaps the most impressionant.
Interestingly from some of these objects, which exist not any more, the base is still there as it is too expensive to remove it.

Under aspects of engineering destroyed objects are always interesting, as the destruction is always involved with the question how and why was it destroyed.
1. yes, we know. The row to them are: Proposed once, Stale Proposed twice, Cancelled more than 5 years never heard anymore...
2. Stale Proposed is the best to fit those structures today.
3. Cancelled for sure as status.
4. Cancelled also, why not. For the ones once existed and today not more, just then Destroyed.
But remember, once Proposed the building card can't be deleted easily, imo.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 3:10 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I have asked this before. How about bringing back the option of 50 drawings per page?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 8:47 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
That is already done for several hundred buildings.
Ah, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:59 PM

I would add objects in the section "Building requests" always as fast as possible as one cannot guarantee that links, which are given there as source would still work at a later time.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:31 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
I would set the default marking at "Status" at the Search form at "Built", "Construction", "On-Hold" and "Destroyed", as only objects in these categories definitively left planning stage.
Please keep the proposals, it shows the future! Yes, I think that 60% of all supertall proposals around the world won't get finished, but to say which those are is very difficult.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 8:22 PM

Nevertheless, I believe that in some countries the count of 200m+ structures will go down.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:02 PM

Better handling of user defined collections

What I would made better is better handling of user-defined collections.

For example, http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?...01,91156,91157 displays all illustrated electricity pylons in the database. But how can I set a permanent link, which displays them ordered by height?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 1:17 PM

Easier posting of corrections

I would have made postings of corrections easier by a button on the page of the structure, which allows posting them. Such a system is implemented at Structurae.
When you look e.g. at a structurae entry like http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?id=s0000071 , you can find on the bottom of the page a button which you can click when you have corrections.
This is much user friendly than using the forum and reduces server load.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 7:00 PM
Editor/Ilustrador/Mod

Changes?,
I just wanna made some suggestions to Dylan

A new (old) type of buildings: Castle

Another type of buildings: Complex (For two or more buildings who looks or funcionally works like only one).

A sub-type of building style: Generic

On materials: Two separate list... 1.- for structure 2.- for facades, now they´re not clearly separated and may be interesting know what are steel structures, concrete structures, mixed concrete-steel, other.

Into the primary diagrams & searchs:
Churches, Mosques, and other religious buildings, sometimes they are very significant structures on the cities where their towers are tall, (for me) chuch towers was the original structure compared with nails to create the word Skyscraper.

Towers and monuments on the primary diagram too, we can't think on Canada without CN Tower on the default primary diagram.

The status type "Proposed", out of primary diagram: If they are no currently on the skyline and not always will be there (some projects will be stopped or cancelled); a proposed structure into diagrams sometimes could lie about what will see on a city when we visit it.

I suggest to create a new kind of editors: Co-editors who can introduce database changes but without the complete access ...I mean a kind of alternate database access where the current editors just copy and paste or approve/reject simple changes, not tools to create or delete entries, just updates, not neccesarily a illustrator, may be a lot of participants of the site and could improve the database maintenance.

A wider type of products to maintain alive the site... Cups, T Shirts, USB Memory, keyholders, Cd-holders, etc. with our drawings or site's diagrams printed on.

Last edited by Martin H Unzon; Feb 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H Unzon View Post
I suggest to create a new kind of editors: Co-editors who can introduce database changes but without the complete access ...I mean a kind of alternate database access where the current editors just copy and paste or approve/reject simple changes, not tools to create or delete entries, just updates, not neccesarily a illustrator, may be a lot of participants of the site and could improve the database maintenance.
I agree with you Martin, mainly at this part. It is not because i was dropped-off of being Editor, i couldn't improve brazilian and german updating the info at those respective cities, because i do not have internal access to any data anymore. I wouldn't mind about the rest of the world, but more contributors, the database would be more complete and updated, imo. Actually until today i don't really know why i am not editor reconsidered back... so ... admin affares.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 10:21 PM

This is a good idea. For example, I could so add the coordinates of many objects. In fact this should be possible for all 100m+ structures in Europe which exist now and also for many destroyed objects.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams