HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:08 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Might I add that there's somewhat of a connection with overweight/obesity amongst suburbanites in relation to people living in urban areas who are more fit, hence the walking part for downtown compared to the driving part in the suburbs...

Just a thought.
I live downtown and am about 30 pounds overweight. I got diabetes about 4-5 years ago.

The thing is not necessarily if you live downtown or in a car dependent suburb.

For me, I chose to live downtown because I could be within walking distance to the Library, and the then new Forks area.

But after the Web became more and more of a resource in the 90s there was less and less need to go there to gain knowledge.

That left The Forks as a place to spend time in, and half the time the riverwalk is flooded, and the rest of the side resembles an unfinished construction zone.

The Exchange District is now THE place to go for shopping. However it can be a fair distance in inclement weather, so that's why it's nice to have a bus or tram to distribute passengers to and from that area.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

just ride the downtown spirit...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:38 AM

I do live in the suburbs but I go to the gym 5 days a week and I am not overweight. I would like to live downtown but not in its current state,I don't feel safe there and I find it a very depressing atmoshphere I always remember what's wrong with Winnipeg social ills downtown becuase it is so bad. I always get hit up for change by hobos downtown or harassed by all the idiots and crazies downtown so I regret to say no to downtown. I don't think it's fair us suburbanites get painted in such broad strokes though, I love Winnipeg and hope everyday Winnipeg could improve with a clean and prosperous downtown and rapid transit but it has to get done first! Yes more people should live downtown but suburbs are a fact of life don't fight them just try and have them work in cohesion with a healthy downtown.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
I live downtown and am about 30 pounds overweight.
I'm not overwight, I'm just under-tall

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:04 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I live downtown and am about 30 pounds overweight. I got diabetes about 4-5 years ago.

The thing is not necessarily if you live downtown or in a car dependent suburb.

For me, I chose to live downtown because I could be within walking distance to the Library, and the then new Forks area.

But after the Web became more and more of a resource in the 90s there was less and less need to go there to gain knowledge.

That left The Forks as a place to spend time in, and half the time the riverwalk is flooded, and the rest of the side resembles an unfinished construction zone.

The Exchange District is now THE place to go for shopping. However it can be a fair distance in inclement weather, so that's why it's nice to have a bus or tram to distribute passengers to and from that area.
That is true too. My point was, that if we had competent and considerate city planners in the first place, then this city would be completely different in terms of how the city was laid out, and the ideology of using cars going from point A to point B in relation to public transit would be at least more balanced than using the former for "primary" transportation.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 10:06 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
I'm serious...check this guy out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rockefeller

And this backgrounder re: New World Order (NWO):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3HTwu38A-s

He's involved with the Trilateral Commission, the Council on Foreign Relations, etc...

He is involved in the NAU (North American Union) which seeks to merge Canada, U.S. and Mexico into one country, with one currency (the Amero)...

The Rockefellers owned Standard Oil in the United States ... later Exxon (which is ESSO in Canada.

I only found out about David Rockefeller earlier this year from reading on their involvement in funding the feminist movement.

In other words, I don't believe that WT management is acting on their own when they are firmly behind BRT... I think that there is an "invisible hand" at work, some other entity that is guiding their policy actions -- and it's NOT City Council.
What does it have to do with Winnipeg and rapid transit? If they own oil companies they would want to stop transit everywhere not just in a 600,000 souls backwater community.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I do live in the suburbs but I go to the gym 5 days a week and I am not overweight. I would like to live downtown but not in its current state,I don't feel safe there and I find it a very depressing atmoshphere I always remember what's wrong with Winnipeg social ills downtown becuase it is so bad. I always get hit up for change by hobos downtown or harassed by all the idiots and crazies downtown so I regret to say no to downtown. I don't think it's fair us suburbanites get painted in such broad strokes though, I love Winnipeg and hope everyday Winnipeg could improve with a clean and prosperous downtown and rapid transit but it has to get done first! Yes more people should live downtown but suburbs are a fact of life don't fight them just try and have them work in cohesion with a healthy downtown.
dude... (dudette?)... go spend some time in any major city; toronto, new york, chicago, paris, istanbul, berlin, beunos aires, hong kong... they've all got & always will have the hobos, the idiots, & the crazies. i think we should be more concerned if we stop seeing these folks around. one of north america's biggest charades of my generation is the belief that we're supposed to be living in a sterile, monochromatic utopia... wait, that's Disneyland.

i ain't knocking suburbanites. the burbs are great if that's your thing. just don't knock my downtown for having some crazies. (there's too many other credible reasons to knock our downtown)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:43 AM

i'm actually gonna go a step further and follow pootkao's lead of preachin' the good word:

thurmas, why not come spend more time downtown. the problem isn't that there are too many 'hobos', it's that there aren't enough 'normal' folks to offset what people see on the streets. it's gonna take the believers in downtown like yourself to hangout & be seen before the ground swell can ever take hold.

you've even got a selection of sterile and let say not-so-sterile places to hang. take your pick, just make sure to bring your friends and spend some $$$ while visiting! (hopefully on me - i'll be the crazy hitting you up for cash...)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 12:18 AM
high expectations

I actually like taking the bus .... but really winnipeg's downtown may seems like a scary place but really just needs more newwer buildings like waterfront drive condos in and around that area which also happens to be walking distance to the forks and saint boniface

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 5:20 PM

Why are Winnipeggers so hard on themselves

Ever been to Calgary's or Edmonton's downtown at night?. I am sure no one living downtown Calgary hangs out at the "Cecil" or in Edmontons East side of downtown.

Girls always have to be on the lookout at night in the beltline in Calgary.... but yet it is still perfered to live close to or in downtown for most young people here in Calgary.

Winnipeg, old time thinking conservative people that are chicken to actually have fun and live close to or in downtown.
Suburbs are boring... I hope you enjoy those "Power Malls" and great restaurants like the "Outback" fun fun fun....

What about Osborne Village? I lived there for years... just as bad as Broadway and Main area. No one is forcing you to live in North of Portage area.
My God. every city in Canada has a bad part of downtown. Vancouver, Toronto Montreal etc, that is just as bad as Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 5:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the villige is still a happening place........

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 7:07 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
Why are Winnipeggers so hard on themselves

Ever been to Calgary's or Edmonton's downtown at night?. I am sure no one living downtown Calgary hangs out at the "Cecil" or in Edmontons East side of downtown.

Girls always have to be on the lookout at night in the beltline in Calgary.... but yet it is still perfered to live close to or in downtown for most young people here in Calgary.

Winnipeg, old time thinking conservative people that are chicken to actually have fun and live close to or in downtown.
Suburbs are boring... I hope you enjoy those "Power Malls" and great restaurants like the "Outback" fun fun fun....

What about Osborne Village? I lived there for years... just as bad as Broadway and Main area. No one is forcing you to live in North of Portage area.
My God. every city in Canada has a bad part of downtown. Vancouver, Toronto Montreal etc, that is just as bad as Winnipeg.
I agree with you completely.

Why do people in Winnipeg use far too many excuses to ignore downtown, but will have nothing but great things to say of other city's downtowns.. while those city's stuggle with many of the same issues.

Downtown wouldn't be such a focal point for down and outters if there were more people, especially middle income people living, shopping and working downtown.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 9:17 PM

I have to disagree Montreal's downtown is a 1000 times nicer than winnipeg's, Edmonton's is fairly nice, Calgary's is fine, Ottawa's is good. Yes every major city's downtown in Canada has it's rough area's but Winnipeg's has been ravaged by a slow progressing cancer on it's downtown. Winnipeg's downtown has some great pockets that I enjoy ie:The exchange, the forks but it's TRUE HEART Portage and Main have slowly dwindled to streets ravaged with native poverty, public urination,ravage panhandling,perverts(last time I was at portage place a guy was washing his balls in the sink)muggings in front of portage place all the time. Drug deals abound even in plain sight in daylight during lunch hour in front of air canada building. The only development that does occur on portage is more uneeded government buildings. If I and many more people were to either set up shop or move to downtown it would require 3 things 1) a dedicated beef up of 50-75 downtown only police officers round the clock to make poeple feel safe around downotwn with 100 additional private security officers for malls, public buildings ect... 2) a dedicated massive property tax cut or a 5 year property tax exemption for starting a business downtown similar to what Fargo did 8 years ago which is in the red river revitalization article in this forum. 3) true rapid transit system so Winnipegers can travel quickly and efficienty to visit or live downtown. I don't hate downtown it just breaks my heart to see what has happened to her. I won't move downtown just because it's downtown it has to improve first before most people will give it a try.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 10:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yes but each city has its issues...

as fir refusing to move downtown cause theres not enuff blah well ,move and demand it and it will come hell get your friends to tallow suit and change will happen sit and wait and nothing will happen.....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 12:32 AM

Where are people witnessing this stuff in downtown Peg? I work downtown, walk downtown streets every day - I don't see any muggings, drug dealings, mass amounts of panhandlers or ball washers. There are definitely street people around, but on warm sunny days - they just aren't as noticeable as there are just so many other non street people walking about. I don't have any problems or concerns walking down Main St or Portage Ave. I don't particularly like seeing some of the groups of the smelly people leaning against some of the vacant buildings, but those people are usually harmless.

I'd be more apprehensive with the young punks who do the BS in the suburbs - wandering around at all hours just looking for trouble or someone to roll.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I have to disagree Montreal's downtown is a 1000 times nicer than winnipeg's, Edmonton's is fairly nice, Calgary's is fine, Ottawa's is good. Yes every major city's downtown in Canada has it's rough area's but Winnipeg's has been ravaged by a slow progressing cancer on it's downtown. Winnipeg's downtown has some great pockets that I enjoy ie:The exchange, the forks but it's TRUE HEART Portage and Main have slowly dwindled to streets ravaged with native poverty, public urination,ravage panhandling,perverts(last time I was at portage place a guy was washing his balls in the sink)muggings in front of portage place all the time. Drug deals abound even in plain sight in daylight during lunch hour in front of air canada building. The only development that does occur on portage is more uneeded government buildings. If I and many more people were to either set up shop or move to downtown it would require 3 things 1) a dedicated beef up of 50-75 downtown only police officers round the clock to make poeple feel safe around downotwn with 100 additional private security officers for malls, public buildings ect... 2) a dedicated massive property tax cut or a 5 year property tax exemption for starting a business downtown similar to what Fargo did 8 years ago which is in the red river revitalization article in this forum. 3) true rapid transit system so Winnipegers can travel quickly and efficienty to visit or live downtown. I don't hate downtown it just breaks my heart to see what has happened to her. I won't move downtown just because it's downtown it has to improve first before most people will give it a try.
All this happens in Calgary today plus plus. Come spend a night here. Same as East end of Edmonton by the courthouse. Good luck with surviving at night, and Oh pick up some 3rd tier hookers and crack for me!
Oh, go visit East Hasting in VCR at night. see how long before you are hooked!!
I just took a guy from Denver (we were there on business) and walked around the whole East side and West side Exchange district and he loved it. There was not one bad thing or person we saw... So what the hell? If I moved back it would be in the downtown area. Maybe not North of Portage and West of Main but I would still be downtown.... Do you think it is unsafe to go to a hockey game at MTS Centre at night? That is right downtown! Get over it... Hey, have you ever walked down Young Street in Toronto at night? People need to travel then they would realize that the Peg is not so bad... Yes no LRT or 50 story building but again, get over it...
Oh, if anyone mentions Natives again you should be banned from this forum. Every City has the same social issues weather they are white, black, asian, or whatever... Keep race out of it!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
Oh, if anyone mentions Natives again you should be banned from this forum. Every City has the same social issues weather they are white, black, asian, or whatever... Keep race out of it!
Why? This is a serious issue for Winnipeg. I don't understand why many like you always shy away from this or try to sweep it under the rug. Winnipeg is well known for it's native poverty across Canada, and this is at least a part of why the downtown isn't achieving it's full potential and why many do not want to set foot in the downtown for fear of safety. Yes, it isn't just aboriginal poverty that is apparent in the downtown, but I would bet that the majority of poor/street people in Winnipeg's downtown are indeed aboriginal.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:29 AM

I am sorry but I have travelled to most major canadian cities(some more than others ie:Edmonton,Montreal,Ottawa, and Toronto) and all of their downtowns were much safer and cleaner than Winnipeg's. I've been to Montreal 5 times since 99 and it is a vibrant and beautiful downtown with buildings on their main streets that are actually get this occupied and not by a pay day loan or bargain clothing store. As for the native issue it exists and it shouldn't be ignored it should be discussed because it is a major problem just as long as people on here propose valid solutions instead of blatant stupid racism and jokes!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

stop the bitchfest already you guys........ yea we got social issues no one wants to deal with yea we got panhandlers.........
interesting idea about change for panhanlers though.... i would rather see them take up insturments and become buskers....
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...king.meter.cnn

anyhow untill we as a society across canada wake up and deal with the social problems that we have from coast to coast its not just natives....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:44 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

see p.44

Last edited by Pootkao; Jun 8, 2008 at 5:26 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan