HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 11:26 PM

Need help [again!]

You may recall that I asked for advice about restaurants nearby certain hotels for a university event that I was planning for this year, well I'm doing it again next year!

The venue is the Coast Plaza Hotel on Denman, and we're trying to have a reception (an early morning brunch for delegates to mingle and meet each other). We would prefer not to have the reception at the hotel, it was rather expensive last time and certainly wasn't worth the money. So, we're thinking of renting a nearby restaurant on Denman within a 5-minute walk....trouble is, in this area of downtown we highly doubt any restaurant would be capable of hosting upwards of 300 delegates, many of which are from around the world.

We know there's a community centre nearby at King George High, but that's not the most ideal venue.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 11:32 PM
victory in near

how about the bayside lounge?

i think its a two minute walk from the coast plaza

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 11:39 PM

It seemed a bit small if I recall, much smaller than the space at Coast Plaza. thanks though.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 2:49 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Bring in your own caterers, if you use a company like out to lunch, or Potluck it would be much cheaper then using the hotels food and you can still use the location. You'll be very hard pressed to find anyone that can handle that size.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:17 AM
Vancouver User

Could the Boathouse or Milestone's accommodate that many guests if you rented the entire place?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:17 AM

^ i don't know about the Boathouse, but I know Milestones at English Bay wouldn't be able to handle all of them for sure. They might be able to handle half of them, maybe.

Lets just say, that the Coast Plaza is a terrible hotel and we unfortunately signed a two-year contract last year....if only last year's organizers had the foresight to try to book the new Coast Hotel at Coal Harbour.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:23 AM
Vancouver User

Random thought... not sure if you have any chance of making it happen... but renting out the "roof" of the bath house and tenting it wedding style, and then having a giant catered pancake breakfast or something...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:31 AM

^ nice idea, but would cost a fortune.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:53 AM
Vancouver User

Would it though?

Catering companies often have the tents, etc.

Could be cheaper than you think.

Otherwise rent both Boathouse & Milestones and do some sort of musical meal to get people flowing through the different venues.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining