HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
but he loves the bayers road expansion plans because it benefits his SUV
Most issues have a correct and incorrect side. I cannot help it if most of you are usually on the incorrect side.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Most issues have a correct and incorrect side. I cannot help it if most of you are usually on the incorrect side.
Whatever you do, don't lose that sense of humour, Keith.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 6:06 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:

That statement is a perfect example. It was nominally said as a sarcastic joke, with the fact being that it is instead what you actually think.

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else on this forum, but when comes to debate it impossible to actually have reasonable arguments with you. When someone provides numbers taken from publicly accessible sources to back up an argument, you dismiss them as grossly inflated etc without citing an actual source proving they are inflated. When you provide numbers to back up your argument and someone disagrees and asks you to prove your numbers, you throw out statements like "I stand behind my numbers". You wouldn't let anyone else anyway with "truthiness", but it is ok for you.

The longer I spend on this forum the more it is apparent that you in fact refuse to engage in rationale debate, but instead simply enjoy making this all about you and your personal perspective, and then when pushed further retreat to sarcasm and attacks cloaked as humour.

It is unfortunate because you definitely have an interesting perspective and sometimes great things to add, but then ruin it with exhausting and never-ending sarcastic attacks on things that you do not jive with your personal world-view.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:38 PM

I feel I am usually correct the same way you and others feel they are usually correct. I have been around long enough to know that "numbers" can be made to support whatever side of an argument one is trying to make. Just because someone quotes numbers does not mean those of opposing views accepts them without question. We have seen far too many examples of numbers being used in misleading or outright fraudulent ways. It is all in their validation and interpretation to the issue at hand. And in many cases, an argument comes down to common sense, gut feel, call it what you want. HRM is spending frivolously on far too many squeaky-wheel fringe-group feel-good projects while ignoring their core mandate. That will always receive criticism from me.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:11 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
I feel I am usually correct the same way you and others feel they are usually correct. I have been around long enough to know that "numbers" can be made to support whatever side of an argument one is trying to make. Just because someone quotes numbers does not mean those of opposing views accepts them without question. We have seen far too many examples of numbers being used in misleading or outright fraudulent ways. It is all in their validation and interpretation to the issue at hand. And in many cases, an argument comes down to common sense, gut feel, call it what you want. HRM is spending frivolously on far too many squeaky-wheel fringe-group feel-good projects while ignoring their core mandate. That will always receive criticism from me.
Yup, numbers certainly can be manipulated, and sometimes even just plain ol' fabricated to defend a personal opinion. Quite sure that at some point Donald Rumsfeld stood in front of the press and said "You are all wrong about their being no WMDs, and I stand behind my numbers you bunch of commie America-haters".

Of course, there is a far higher probably of numbers given with zero citation and backed up only by "I stand behind my numbers" being manipulated, than ones that at least have a citation to a public source whose veracity can be judged. My spidey sense immediately goes off with respect to the truthiness of someone's numbers the second I hear them say that they can't cite a source that backs them up but they stand behind them. To me that's at best an op/ed piece, and at worst made up.

This entire "debate" (in so much as I can use that term here) around public usage of the Oval or even the library seems most often to descend into "Well you see there known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. For example, one known known is that real tax-paying Freedom loving Haligonians don't skate on ovals. Everyone knows it is only used a few days a year anyway. Anyone who says differently is a liar and must love high taxes, Celine Dion and yogurt made with organic goat's milk".

Just wanted to put it in sarcastic terms so that you saw my point.

Last edited by beyeas; Sep 1, 2015 at 6:48 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Well I've been around long enough to know that you are wrong on many points, even on your definition of a good argument. From a legal stand point, peer reviewed empirical data trumps your gut feelings.

Last edited by TheNovaScotian; Sep 1, 2015 at 4:22 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Well I've been around long enough to know that you are wrong on many points, even on your definition of a good argument. From a legal stand point, peer reviewed empirical data trumps your gut feelings.
Peer reviewed empirical data of the incorrect metric gets thrown out of court.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 12:06 AM
Fizzix geek

Frankly it seems to me that KeithP may in fact be Nova Scotia's version of "The Donald". Similar level of bombast and respect for contrary politics. The response of "I stand by my numbers" is strikingly similar to Trump's response "I stand by my policy" when told by basically every legal expert in the U.S. that he was not able to expel "anchor babies" (aka US citizens). Personal beliefs masqueraded as facts and stated with confidence in a sufficiently angry voice so as to scare away contrary opinions.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:25 AM

I have been following these posts the last few days while a bunch of you pile on Keith.
I enjoy Keith's posts and his sense of humor in how he expresses himself.
Seems to me there are a number who are not content to state their opinion and let it rest but are here to debate and try to change somebody's thoughts as if having a posse makes them superior.
I frequently would side with Keith and I laugh at others who think that just because they found a few figures in a book or paper somewhere that makes them right and other thoughts wrong.
I too have been around for much longer than most of you and stand by my opinions. I know that many of the reports are written to meet the desired goal because the planner needs the money and the work to make a living, and the way to get more work is to write a favorable report with the results that are desired.
Only time will tell who is right and wrong and I look forward to laughing at a number of you while I sit in my rocking chair and it is determined that I was right and you were wrong.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:29 PM

*crickets*

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:30 PM

Ummmm... OK... any topics other than the oval to discuss?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:33 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Boy those Jays are sure doing well eh?! :-)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:25 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I got an over-the-phone play by play today from a friend of mine at the ferry terminal who was witnessing a very grumpy councillor McCluskey demanding to get into the waiting area and ride the ferry without paying. Complete with the likes of "do you not know who I am?" and "I don't have to pay for this, I'll ride if I want" .. with a very polite and extremely tolerant security guard having to put up with all this the entire time.

Okay Gloria- it's time you get out of the politics game and go get a little place at the Berkley or Shannex or something.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Boy those Jays are sure doing well eh?! :-)
Yup! I'll be watching them tonight!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I got an over-the-phone play by play today from a friend of mine at the ferry terminal who was witnessing a very grumpy councillor McCluskey demanding to get into the waiting area and ride the ferry without paying. Complete with the likes of "do you not know who I am?" and "I don't have to pay for this, I'll ride if I want" .. with a very polite and extremely tolerant security guard having to put up with all this the entire time.

Okay Gloria- it's time you get out of the politics game and go get a little place at the Berkley or Shannex or something.
Yikes!

Sounds like a missed youtube opportunity....

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 8:39 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Gloria's time has come and gone. I hope that self entitlement piece was exaggerated, but none the less time to move on Gloria. Can a developer here build a tower and name it after her? McClusky Tower? Gloria Place?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 12:14 AM

Hopefully Austin gives it another try the next election to finally dethrone her and let Dartmouth enter the 21st century.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 2:02 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Gloria's time has come and gone. I hope that self entitlement piece was exaggerated, but none the less time to move on Gloria. Can a developer here build a tower and name it after her? McClusky Tower? Gloria Place?
She should have been gone a LONG time ago, along with at least one other councillor!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
One of the many useless Councillors who, I hope, finally gets turfed in the next election.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:00 AM

Here is some aerial footage of the ruins of Shannon Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth