HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
The problem is the steepness of the ramps on both ends. If they were going to replace the bridge with a new one, you're going to run into some problems on both ends if it were to follow today's codes, guidelines, regulations, and the Highway Traffic Act. There will be buildings and homes affected on both sides, if it were to be replaced with a bridge with three lanes.
I don't think grades would be a major issue if the City decides to replace the Arlington Bridge... I would expect that it would basically be a duplicate of the Slaw Rebchuk Bridge to the east.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:19 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think grades would be a major issue if the City decides to replace the Arlington Bridge... I would expect that it would basically be a duplicate of the Slaw Rebchuk Bridge to the east.
The Slaw Rebchuk Bridge - and any bridge built to modern standards - means shallower grades on either end. And that means longer approaches on either end.

The current bridge crosses Jarvis and comes down at Dufferin. All three new bridge concepts have the new bridge crossing Jarvis AND Dufferin and coming down at Stella.

Expropriations on the north end are a certainty even if they demolish the old bridge first rather than building to one side. And they're a certainty on both the north and south ends if they build to one side.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 5:27 PM

Well the one building on the south has been empty forever anyway.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 5:30 PM

Come to think of it, my old boss talked about how when they built the Slaw Rebchuk they had to move houses out of the way. Maybe they could do the same here, would be a neat sight anyway, though I'm not sure they would survive

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 12:47 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 2:16 PM

So the City wants to add insult to the injury inflicted by the jerks at Minhas Creek who demolished a functional warehouse by putting a never-to-be-used park/plaza on the site?

What is it with the City of Winnipeg's phobia regarding buildings? Surely an acre of land could be put to better use than that?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:03 PM

The parks around Slaw Rebchuck and Logan make the area seem so empty and abandoned. Walking over the bridge they seem like as great a barrier to getting to the city as the railyard itself is. As if the city's turned its back on you, which it actually has. And the city really, really, really needs to can it with the surburban slip lanes in the city. Get that shit out of here.

I guess the existing Minhas Creek "microbrewery" will also get torn down. That's good. Hopefully nobody will ever have to suffer their atrocious beer again.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:05 PM

^ I get that the city needs to reserve a bit of room, but do they really need THAT much space? It's not like they'll ever build an interchange there.

As for Minhas Creek, I will never buy their beer again after what they did. And I'm a guy who likes cheap beer.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:

What is it with the City of Winnipeg's phobia regarding buildings? Surely an acre of land could be put to better use than that?
If this somehow ends up to be the proposal, it would be a terrible use of space, considering the industrial nature of the area not to mention the associated costs.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
If this somehow ends up to be the proposal, it would be a terrible use of space, considering the industrial nature of the area not to mention the associated costs.
Who does the city seriously expect to use that park?

"Come on kids, let's get on our bikes and head on over to the industrial area! We can go visit that new park! You know, the one next to the new overpass! Yeah, it's the one right across from the strip bar and virology lab! Just make sure you aren't wearing any red or blue clothing, you don't want people to think you're repping! And watch out for semis barrelling through red lights on Logan!"

Meanwhile actual existing parks in appropriate locations can barely get a dime of maintenance.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The parks around Slaw Rebchuck and Logan make the area seem so empty and abandoned. Walking over the bridge they seem like as great a barrier to getting to the city as the railyard itself is. As if the city's turned its back on you, which it actually has. And the city really, really, really needs to can it with the surburban slip lanes in the city. Get that shit out of here.

I guess the existing Minhas Creek "microbrewery" will also get torn down. That's good. Hopefully nobody will ever have to suffer their atrocious beer again.
If by "microbrewery" you mean warehouse space to store product imported from Wisconsin, then yes.

Although, I don't think I even see their "beer" for sale in LCs anymore. Maybe they went tits up.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:06 PM

Turns out I was wrong about the microbrewery thing. The reality is much worse.

Check them out on Google Maps. They're a "Craft Brewing Company". Of all the abuses of language.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:12 PM

I think they went tits up a while back. Likely because their beer was shit.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
If by "microbrewery" you mean warehouse space to store product imported from Wisconsin, then yes.

Although, I don't think I even see their "beer" for sale in LCs anymore. Maybe they went tits up.
One of the co-owners is on the current Draggon's Den so she must have some money coming in from someplace.

Their beer is still listed on the MLCC web site so it should be available at the Vendors or special order?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
"Come on kids, let's get on our bikes and head on over to the industrial area! We can go visit that new park! You know, the one next to the new overpass! Yeah, it's the one right across from the strip bar and virology lab! Just make sure you aren't wearing any red or blue clothing, you don't want people to think you're repping! And watch out for semis barrelling through red lights on Logan!"
The area isn't that bad. A lot of kids walk across that bridge. The park will probably actually see some use.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 7:27 PM

^ I like your optimism, but I just don't see it in this particular location. We'll see.

The central span, isn't actually that terrible looking.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:00 PM

Curious about the ooriginal source of the image..

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/c...-March2016.pdf

PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE
MARCH 19,
12 noon–4 pm
Rossbrook House, 658 Ross Ave

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ I like your optimism, but I just don't see it in this particular location. We'll see.
My fiancee used to live on Gallagher, and had family on Stella (lovely part of town, lmao). She and quite a few of her friends used the bridge a lot. Though that was a few years ago, I'm sure it's still the same.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:18 PM
surely you agree with me

that bridge design is horrendous....big on ramp merge lanes like its a freeway...a massive windswept plaza that is of no use....a ridiculous faux suspension bridge in the middle that 'pays homage' to the existing structure....all the spans are the same length, why would one need this big arch structure?...its pure decoration...a complete afterthought tacked on to a highway...totally unrelated to the rest of the design...save the money if that is your best effort....terrible.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

It has one merge lane, from what I can see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan