HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 10:55 PM

It looks quite extravagant doesn't it. I'm guessing the white 'pillar-like-things' are portable heaters.

Thanks hoss

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 11:29 PM

No sign of the columns yet, but I did come across this picture of the pool. How sad that all that signage in necessary these days, just in case someone tries to dive into 30" of water.

"View is of the new pool on the roof of Metro 417, the old Subway Terminal Building, located at 417 S. Hill St. Photograph dated September 13, 2005."

LAPL

I'm going to continue calling it the Subway Terminal Building - Metro 417 just doesn't sound as good! Regarding the pool, one comment on yelp.com says, "We found the hot tub on the roof was constantly shut down...". Here's another view of the pool.

www.acmartin.com

The same site also has this image of the area where two of the urns used to be.

www.acmartin.com

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 11:50 PM

Good job Hoss. I was looking for photos of the patio but didn't find any.

Remember this colorful photo from earlier this week?

[/URLhttp://www.pacificelectric.org/los-a...and-jefferson/

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwy_central_bldg View Post
I love this photo too! I did a little searching in the city directories and found the "Your Room" at 3114 S Vermont, as well as Dr Felcher (the dentist) at 3124 S Vermont.

By sheer coincidence, I happened across this black and white photograph that shows the same segment of street in the early 1960s.

Alumni Review, Oct. 1963 http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/234571/rec/2

I was trying to get the two photos next to each other (they were on facing pages in the periodical, page 10 & 11)

I knew it was the same street by Dr. Felcher's sign. (kindly pointed out by broadway_central_bldg)

detail

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2016 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 1:08 AM
DTLA

This photo was posted today in the "SoCal Historic Architecture" Facebook group... is this "Masonic Temple" building next door to the "Terminal Market" we've been looking at? Or is the "Hill Street Station" in the bottom right corner a different building?

Dig the PE Railway advertisement for the Mt. Lowe Resort on the side of the Masonic building...this must be approx. mid 20s, right?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

No sign of the columns yet, but I did come across this picture of the pool. How sad that all that signage in necessary these days, just in case someone tries to dive into 30" of water.
I went up on the roof of the Subway Terminal Building when I was down there last year. Someone was IN the (lucky for them, working) hot pool and another was suntanning on the deck so I didn't take any pictures of that area, but I did see those heater things.

A detail of one of the wings looking over at the Biltmore's roof garden

A skylight in one of the lightwells

The 12th floor elevator lobby

my photos

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for your help Those Who Squirm and GatoVerde.

eBay

GV, are you talking about the area on the left or right in the above photo?

Believe it or not, I might have a photograph of the Kizh village that you mentioned GV.

eBay

But the seller cut off the caption at lower left; all we see is....

grounds where
s now location

What do you guys think? Could this be the Kizh village?

__
Didn't spot the section on the right, ER. Yes, that one on the right does look like the sectioning off for Calvary, with Home of Peace on the left.

The second image does not look like an village, although they could be Kizh people at a mining camp, perhaps. The two tipis are interesting and something not likely to be in California, so it's kind of weird.

I had previously gone searching looking for images of remnants of the Yangna or other local villages and I did come up with this image, which was captioned as being taken at the Los Angeles River, but no more information was provided.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
I went up on the roof of the Subway Terminal building.

A skylight in one of the lightwells
Thanks for the pics NCD.

...from a recent article in lacurbed.

"The coffered ceilings on the ground floor are plaster, Frallicciardi says as he walks through the cavernous space, triggering the staggered motion-sensor lights and revealing it to be largely empty. The room was once the lobby, the entry point to the terminal where thousands of people a day would have gotten their tickets and boarded Red Cars bound for destinations across the city. The columns were originally wrapped in terra cotta, but "a major renovation" that pre-dates Forest City resulted in "the loss of the column cladding and the installation of a suspended ceiling" that really messed up the original plaster, according to a 2006 report on the place from the National Register of Historic Places. Light streams in through a mouse-sized hole in the ornate ceiling; there's a skylight behind it that runs nearly the width of the room."

I wonder if the author meant to say the 'length' of the room?

Bianca Barragan at http://la.curbed.com/2016/3/2/111042...ls-los-angeles

http://la.curbed.com/2016/3/2/111042...ls-los-angeles
__

More photos at:
http://la.curbed.com/2016/3/2/111042...ls-los-angeles

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:00 PM

Quote:
This photo was posted today in the "SoCal Historic Architecture" Facebook group... is this "Masonic Temple" building next door to the "Terminal Market" we've been looking at? Or is the "Hill Street Station" in the bottom right corner a different building?

Dig the PE Railway advertisement for the Mt. Lowe Resort on the side of the Masonic building...this must be approx. mid 20s, right?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=745

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1953

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8027

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pics NCD.

...from a recent article in lacurbed.

"The coffered ceilings on the ground floor are plaster, Frallicciardi says as he walks through the cavernous space, triggering the staggered motion-sensor lights and revealing it to be largely empty. The room was once the lobby, the entry point to the terminal where thousands of people a day would have gotten their tickets and boarded Red Cars bound for destinations across the city. The columns were originally wrapped in terra cotta, but "a major renovation" that pre-dates Forest City resulted in "the loss of the column cladding and the installation of a suspended ceiling" that really messed up the original plaster, according to a 2006 report on the place from the National Register of Historic Places. Light streams in through a mouse-sized hole in the ornate ceiling; there's a skylight behind it that runs nearly the width of the room."

I wonder if the author meant to say the 'length' of the room?

Maybe it seemed wider from below?
Great before & after shots. I wonder if that ceiling was originally painted, like the similar one in the restored lobby of what was the office tower (now lofts).

That's a fake cobweb attached to the light fixture (it was Halloween).

As long as we're here, I also liked the mural above the front entrance showing a streetcar coming out of a tunnel:
detail of this:

my photos

Last edited by Noircitydame; Mar 23, 2016 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for dating the vehicles GW.

Is it just me, or are these the ugliest decorative urns ever.

Apparently there were three urns on that end of the building.

http://designeastoflabrea.blogspot.c...1_archive.html

location of the third, as seen from 4th street.

gsv

-just for fun, here's an aerial.

google_earth

Today there's an outdoor patio (is that a hot tub?) on that wing of the bldg.

detail

maybe bing has a better view.
___

nope.

http://www.bing.com/mapspreview
My two cents worth take on the Urns is that they are actually water storage tanks to provide pressurized water for the fire safety apparatus and that they were "decorated" to look like urns in attempt to make them more aesthetically pleasing. Whether or not that worked is a matter of opinion.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVerde View Post
Didn't spot the section on the right, ER. Yes, that one on the right does look like the sectioning off for Calvary, with Home of Peace on the left.

The second image does not look like an village, although they could be Kizh people at a mining camp, perhaps. The two tipis are interesting and something not likely to be in California, so it's kind of weird.

I had previously gone searching looking for images of remnants of the Yangna or other local villages and I did come up with this image, which was captioned as being taken at the Los Angeles River, but no more information was provided.

The conical tents could be government Sibley tents, widely used in the Civil War and I think as late as the Spanish-American war. The others look like standard wall tents. If these people were living on government handouts, they might all be castoff Army tents.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:33 PM

Masonic Building

Quote:

That same picture hung on a wall in the old Masonic Temple at Pico and Fig.. When the building was sold my father brought that picture home, I still have it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:51 PM

As long as we're here, I also liked the mural above the front entrance showing a streetcar coming out of a tunnel:
detail of this:

my photos[/QUOTE]

There are complimentary mosaics at each of the main entrances...one (the former entrance to the offices) represents various aspects of business/commerce and the other [pictured] (the former entrance to the subway) represents various aspects of travel/motion. Both are beautiful and we are lucky they were never altered/removed in the past as so many other great Beaux Arts buildings were at ground level!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 8:48 PM

I'm sure we're all familiar with the Sunset Tower on Sunset Boulevard, but I don't remember seeing this pool and these cabanas before. It's Julius Shulman's "Job 2248: Palmer and Krisel, Sunset Tower, cabanas and pool (Los Angeles, Calif.),1956". I've omitted two images as they didn't show anything different. All the pictures in this set are black & white, so if anyone has a color picture...

All from Getty Research Institute

At some point, this larger pool complex replaced the one seen above.

Google Maps

At least there's some nice ironwork on the De Longpre Avenue side.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm sure we're all familiar with the Sunset Tower on Sunset Boulevard, but I don't remember seeing this pool and these cabanas before. It's Julius Shulman's "Job 2248: Palmer and Krisel, Sunset Tower, cabanas and pool (Los Angeles, Calif.),1956". I've omitted two images as they didn't show anything different. All the pictures in this set are black & white, so if anyone has a color picture...

All from Getty Research Institute

At some point, this larger pool complex replaced the one seen above.

Google Maps

At least there's some nice ironwork on the De Longpre Avenue side.

GSV
I wonder if this was a place of assignation?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:

The Terminal Market building—

was built on the footprint of the 1896 Masonic Temple, which was demo'd in 1925. Originally the market was built by the PE Ry as the ticket office and waiting room (Rittenhouse Bros, archs, 1925) but was remodeled into a public market by CC Rittenhouse Jr in short order (1927), because the actual Subway Terminal Bldg had opened. It was demolished in 1957.

That little "Pacific Electric Hill St Station" shed next to the Masonic Temple was by Hunt, Eager & Burns, put up in 1908, also demolished in '25 with the Masonic Temple. Mid-20s is a good guess in dating the pic, B-C-B, because this was shot before the 1925 demolition of the shed, but after the erection of the 1924 Bliss & Faville Pacific Telephone & Telegraph bldg at 433 S Olive, which you can see in the background.

usc

This building is still there, of course; it was just clad in concrete/gunite panels by Woodford & Bernard in late 1972. And famously painted with Frank Stella's mural "Dusk" in 1991.

That Masonic Temple was really something. Just massive, multiple 2000sf lodge rooms, an entire Scottish Rite Cathedral on the third floor, designed by Bradbeer & Ferris, 1896 (Bradbeer was a brother). Peck & Chase had their undertaking establishment on the first floor, so that many a fine masonic funeral was held there, and so large they could host the annual convention of California Funeral Director's Association. I've never seen images of the inside. I asked a brother from the Henry Wilson Coil library about it but never followed through...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 11:36 PM

Excellent post, Beaudry. There are some more pictures of this area courtesy of gsjansen in post #1334. I think the image below is new to NLA. Is the "IRON HORSE" lettering in the center a poster or graffiti?

"Exterior view of the Pacific Electric Hill Street station prior to 1924 reconstruction, ca.1920".

USC Digital Library

In the background is the Hotel Munn at 438 S Olive Street.

Quote:

I recently found this rare postcard of the Hotel Munn.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:01 AM
DTLA

Wow, thank you, Beaudry! I had no idea that concrete-clad building under the AT&T tower was the same stately structure in the background of those shots-- I almost can't believe it... And, HossC, thanks for the extra perspective there. I feel like I have a whole new understanding of the block outside my window!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:19 AM

duplicate post

Last edited by Noircitydame; Mar 24, 2016 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:23 AM

Quote:
I'm in love with it. Hope a color photo turns up.

One of the photos looks like the one the Times printed in September 1956 about the recently opened pool & cabana

9-16-56 LAT

The DeLongpre side of Sunset Tower before the pool
UCLA with zoom

Standing in almost the same place May 2014

I concluded that the whole concrete structure is new material.

I also took this not very pretty shot of what survives of the garage in May 2014

Not long after the pool went in, construction started on the apartments seen in the modern Google view from DeLongpre, at 8400 Sunset. Same owners as Sunset Towers and architects Palmer & Kristel again, is was called Sunset West.

lat 10-7-56

May 1958 ad for Sunset Tower West. lat

1956 view of the Strip near Sunset Tower
lapl

1960s view of the same vicinity
from a postcard, files.

Last edited by Noircitydame; Mar 24, 2016 at 2:25 AM. Reason: image fix

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos