HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No one complains cause they're able to use the Arlington bridge..... The bridge has 15,500 average weekday traffic, McGregor sees 11,000 at its busiest stretch.
I doubt Arlington would have 1/3 of the traffic it gets if it didn't have the bridge. McGregor nearly matches it and it doesn't even have a bridge!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I doubt Arlington would have 1/3 of the traffic it gets if it didn't have the bridge. McGregor nearly matches it and it doesn't even have a bridge!
McPhillips would see much less traffic if it dead ended at CPR too. Not sure your point.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
^ I just don't buy it... the whole argument for replacing the Arlington Bridge seems like a case study in status quo bias.
Replacing the Arlington Bridge with a McGregor/Sherbroke tunnel would seem to address the issues but could cause new ones as the Sherbroke side is horrible at peak times and seems purely suited to handle additional traffic. The problem with replacing the Arlington Bridge isn't so much one of where the structure is located but what the supporting roads for a location will allow.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:51 PM

Really it should be McGregor over Arlington. McGregor extends all the way to Chief Peguis Trail via Ferrier now (or will when Chief gets extended). The City sold of the original right of way that would've connected McGregor directly to Chief. The City liked to do that, sell off your transportation right of ways.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 9:01 PM

What do we do if the dream of relocating the yards comes to fruition? I realize it's wishful thinking, but with this in mind build a new bridge? Tunnel? Just a thought.
Why even talk about yard relocation if your building this for the future?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 9:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
What do we do if the dream of relocating the yards comes to fruition? I realize it's wishful thinking, but with this in mind build a new bridge? Tunnel? Just a thought.
Why even talk about yard relocation if your building this for the future?
Relocation would take a decade and is at least a decade off. Plus, it isn't happening.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 9:18 PM

^ Build the new infrastructure then, lets leave rail location out of any further discussions?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 9:20 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ Build the new infrastructure then, lets leave rail location out of any further discussions?
Well, that's always been my opinion, but, I'm only one guy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Relocation would take a decade and is at least a decade off. Plus, it isn't happening.
Looked at what the pain point is: trains crossing roadways in sw Winnipeg and a huge constraint: the rail yards in ne and nw Winnipeg I feel confident if any form of rail relocation happens the yards stay put and the east/west lines from the SW get relocated from the current yards north of the city. That means the CP yard the Arlington Bridge crosses isn't going anywhere, ever.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:13 PM

Quote:
The City is proceeding with detailed design and estimates for the Arlington Bridge replacement:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...wman-1.3675485

Quote:
Mayor Brian Bowman says Winnipeg has no choice but to proceed with replacing the Arlington Bridge as long as the relocation of the CPR Yards remains up in the air.

On Wednesday, at the final city council meeting before the six-week summer break, the mayor and council will consider a plan to come up with a more detailed design — as well as a better cost estimate — for a replacement for the Arlington Bridge, which was built in 1912 and is nearing the end of its life.,,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...wman-1.3675485

If this is this case, this proposal becomes relevant again.

EDIT: I'd like to add, It was our Mayor/Council that made this availble to the public..

Last edited by Cyro; Jul 12, 2016 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:30 PM

The fact is when city hall said we can't stop grade separating rail crossing while waiting for relocation to happen that decision applied equally to Arlington Bridge and Waverly Underpass. Not that I agree with the decision but it is nice to see the direction being applied uniformly.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:35 PM

From Winnipeg Roads & Infrastructure Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And the rail relocation report is now cancelled from what we've heard. Or on hold pending Pallister doing something.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Not that I agree with the decision but it is nice to see the direction being applied uniformly.
^ 6 posts up, I've expressed my view on rail relocation/vs. new infrastructure...is it being equally distributed sure...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:46 PM

^^ With Waverly and Arlington now off the table which rail crossing are left needing attention?

I know there is:

Marion and Archibald
Notre Dame west of Wall (higher of the dangerous crossing list than Waverly)

As much as it seems everyone hates trains the list of needed grade separations is close to done.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:54 PM

Well, yes and no.

There's still crossings on Bishop Grandin and Fermor for example. People seem to hit those trains every once in a while. Won't even start on the Perimeter.. Never mind anything new being built (CPT extension, WRCP extension). We won't get into a huge debate over it because there really is no answer right now. As we all know.

But I always hear on the radio, almost everyday about the Ravenhurst crossing. Deep in Transcona next to the Perimeter. When deciding where you want to live, you should be looking at all this stuff. People are constantly complaining about the trains there. That track has been there forever. When you moved into your new house, this is something to consider. You moved there, no complaining now.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 4:11 PM

^crossing at Ravenhurst will be less of an issue, in particular for emergency vehicle access, once the Plessis underpass is fully operational. Biggest issue with those regional train crossings in Transcona is that they are so close to the train yards is that their speed is quite slow and many times they will come to a full stop for minutes at a time, and those are very long trains. Would be much less of an issue if they were going full speed through the crossing....

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 4:21 PM

Yup. If the train stops for more than 5 minutes on the crossing, that is illegal. Otherwise, they're pretty much free to do as they wish. Back and forth switching cars, whatever it is. Annoying no doubt.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 5:51 PM

The Perimeter is a provincial responsibility not a city of Winnipeg one. That said I count four crossing that would need to be grade separated:

Dugald, near McPhillips, near Hwy 2/3 and near Lag.

CPT currently has no rail crossings.

CCW has one for the Prairie Dog line but consider its at the foot of a grade separation already it seems it was assessed as a low need.

Ravenhurst though would be another one near the top of the list.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Poor planning and an even bigger waste of tax dollars even to think of replacing the Arlington Bridge, McPhillips should be upgraded, heck is the cole Slaw Rep-chuck bridge really that far away....

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Poor planning and an even bigger waste of tax dollars even to think of replacing the Arlington Bridge, McPhillips should be upgraded, heck is the cole Slaw Rep-chuck bridge really that far away....
If the Arlington Bridge didn't exist, about as many people would be clamoring for one as there are currently clamoring for a bridge over the Assiniboine that connects Arlington and Harrow. This is just preserving the status quo for its own sake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan