HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post

They have no water.
actually, yhat is a very incorrect statement.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Whatever, PHX31 is like a bit, soggy wet blanket. It's all washed up.

I hope to see the Nuggets move past the first round and hit the Western Conference Finals versus the Lakers. But, if not, I want to see the Cavilers see the Finals since I saw their enthusiasm back in 2007.

To piss off Eyore I will mention that Metro Stae has won 4 NCAAA DII championships in two sports since 2000 to CSU-Pueblos' none. Ha ha.
Considering CSU Pueblo has just added football last year it will be a while before we win any championships. That being said Dave Logan, the voice of the Broncos, has said that our new quarterback is among the best in Colorado's history! So I suspect that you will see major improvement in our football team.

Here is a article on our defense from the Pueblo Chieftain, the states oldest daily newspaper:

When the blueprints were drawn to build a Division II college football team from the ground up, the foundation material used was defense.

A rock-solid unit, made up of tough guys who liked to hit, was needed to anchor an entire program.

Colorado State University-Pueblo had such a unit last year. The team was 4-6, considered a success by many, and defense carried the team week in and week out.

An offseason workout program and the return of almost all of the key personnel have only strengthened the ThunderWolves' defense. That was evident early Thursday morning as the defense dominated during spring drills at the Neta & Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl.

"From where we ended after Adams State (a 16-8 loss to end the season), we haven't taken a step back," defensive coordinator Hunter Hughes said. "The guys have worked hard in the weight room and they understand what we're trying to do a lot better now." While the unit remains solid, it is different in its make-up this spring. Several starters from a year ago are out. Safeties Aaron Hernandez and Jon Bailey are hurt, noseguard Victor Quintana was moved to center, and outside linebacker Jerry McWilliams is enrolled as a part-time student this spring, keeping intact for the fall his one year of eligibility remaining.

"Some faces have changed, the schemes haven't. With guys out it allows a lot of young guys to get a lot of reps, which is good for us and helps us develop some depth," Hughes said. "We have a lot of competition at a lot of positions and that's only going to make us better."

One player making the most of newfound opportunities is outside linebacker Matt Cole. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound sophomore spent last spring pitching for Citrus Community College in Glendora, Calif., before switching to football full-time. He moved into McWilliams' spot outside this spring, running with the first-team defense.

"I'm still a little nervous because there's more urgency and more intensity when

you're out there with the first team," Cole said. "Every play is on film and

everything shows up. The coaches are on you a lot more and there's nowhere to

hide. You feel like you've got to perform at the highest level on every play,

which is the way you should play anyway."

Cole, 20, said this is the first time in years that his full attention athletically is focused on football.

"I'm a football player now, no doubt," Cole said. "I've spent a lot of time with the coaches and in the weight room. It's different focusing strictly on football, but I like it."

ThunderWolves head coach John Wristen said the defense "had a good day" Wednesday and that the team is accomplishing the goals it set for spring drills. CSU-Pueblo is cramming its 15 allowed practice days into a 20-day schedule.

"We wanted to establish physical play and a solid work ethic and I think we've done that so far," Wristen said. "The kids are buying in to what we're doing and what the program's about. Nobody's been late and we haven't had any issues."

The team will scrimmage for approximately 100 plays on Saturday at the ThunderBowl. CSU-Pueblo will go five days next week, with the spring game at 2 p.m. on April 19.

"We'd really like to get 3,000 people out there for the spring game," Wristen said. "We want to show that we weren't a one-season wonder with the fans."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 10:05 PM
Robotic Construction

The Rox look like to be in mid-2007 form! The Post World Series Slump is officially over.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 1:46 AM
no its not...

back down to earth at 3 and 3

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:54 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
actually, yhat is a very incorrect statement.
yeah. thanks to us here in Colorado.

In fact, the valley has very little of it's own water.

The only water in phoenix is in artificial lakes and unnecesary green lawns.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
yeah. thanks to us here in Colorado.

In fact, the valley has very little of it's own water.

The only water in phoenix is in artificial lakes and unnecesary green lawns.
Off topic but if You want to talk about water Pueblo has the most in the state of Colorado. We have enough for a city of about 500,000 people and buying more now that will give us enough water for a city close to 750,000 people. In fact some Denver suburbs, including Aurora, lease water from Pueblo. That keeps my rates low and I have no restrictions on my water usage.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:48 AM

Water issues are very fascinating. We should start a Mountain West water issue thread.

Actually that would probably be a bad idea, seeing how contentious the issue is and seeing how we can't even be civil here talking about inconsequential sports teams.

"I should be floating but I'm weighted by thinking"

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 5:08 AM
I like this much better

The solution to the water issue will prove to be an exceptionally profitable one.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 5:43 AM
BANNED

In the west if you want to find the power don't follow the money but the water! That is one of the main reasons, Pueblo a city of only 100,000 people, commands so much power in the state of Colorado.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 3:46 PM
Robotic Construction

I don't know how much power you "think" Pueblo has, but it isn't anymore than a simular size city named Grand Junction. Grand Junction may not have jack for water, but they have something called oil which seems to be fairly powerful. Either way, they both pail in comparison to the economic powerhouse and federal government institutions found in Denver and Colorado Springs. Even the higher educational institutions and R&D oriented businesses found in simular size cities (to Pueblo) in Boulder and Fort Collins, far exceed any "power" Pueblo might have with in the state.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 3:58 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Hey guys, care to get back to the topic of the thread? Come on, how about some Rockies or Nuggets chat???

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:29 PM
BANNED

One more comment about water then we can get back to sports. I opened up a western water thread, so we can move this discussion to there!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:30 PM

I dont think much of kyle orton. he seems to be more of a back up quater back than a starter. His vision is bad and I believe his interception to TD ration is also poor. Hopefully we draft a hot prospect like sanchez from USC and have a showdown in preseason.

The rockies young talent looks good. But will hurdle recognize this? Fowler needs to start everygame until he slumps and so does ian stewart who seems to have no position right now. i dont know whats up with helton but I hope he isnt over the hill.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVER 2012 View Post
I dont think much of kyle orton. he seems to be more of a back up quater back than a starter. His vision is bad and I believe his interception to TD ration is also poor. Hopefully we draft a hot prospect like sanchez from USC and have a showdown in preseason.

The rockies young talent looks good. But will hurdle recognize this? Fowler needs to start everygame until he slumps and so does ian stewart who seems to have no position right now. i dont know whats up with helton but I hope he isnt over the hill.
I agree about Kyle, I am soo mad at the Broncos right now...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 7:15 PM
Robotic Construction

Rumor has it that the Denver Broncos may be trading their 1st Round, 18th Overall pick for Brady Quinn. The Browns selected Quinn a couple years ago with the 22nd Overall pick. So they would actually be getting good value for him (since they already have a proven starting QB) and it would leave Denver with their 1st Round, #12 Overall pick to draft a top LB'er or DL man.

I would say it would even be worth Denver giving up that 12th Overall pick for Quinn (if they had to), because there is good depth in the draft this year and they can still get a top LB'er/DL man at 18th Overall. The draft depth goes well into the 5th Round and the Broncos would get a high 2nd Round pick, two 3rd Round picks and a mid- 4th Round pick as well. That's plenty of quality rookies to rebuild a defense and address RB. Brady Quinn may prove to be a viable replacement for Cutler, perhaps with a better attitude. Plus he's already been learning the NFL game for a couple seasons--that's better than a rookie straight out of college. None of this years QB's in the draft seem to have the potential of a Jay Cutler or Brady Quinn.

The Broncos need to after Quinn with all they got.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Apr 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 7:25 PM
I like this much better

Quinn will be a huge hit with Broncos fans...

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...?s=brady+quinn

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 7:44 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
^ Are you saying Brady Quinn is a non breader? LOL

On another note;
I think Kyle O. is going to be the starter for the first part of the Season, but I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted Sanchez and started to groom him, possibly introduce him in the middle of the Season. But who know's Coach Josh is a hard one to figure out, and exactly what he has in store for the Broncos? I don't know, but I can tell you this he has that hunger and drive. The only thing on this Coach's mind is CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 8:01 PM
ColoRADo

^They should just hold out for Sam Bradford.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snodrifter View Post
Quinn will be a huge hit with Broncos fans...

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...?s=brady+quinn
Even if he is gay who cares as long as he can play football?

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 13, 2009 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
no its not...

Why give up a first rounder for Quinn, when you could probably get him for a second and Scheffler? (who they are shopping)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West