HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I don't downplay it being a very important position and a tough one to play. But there are a lot of running backs out there and the shelf-life of RBs pst 29 or 30 years old is pretty negligible in many leagues. While Cornish had an absolutely spectacular three years, he's 31 now and has a couple half seasons of injury. The writing was on the wall that he was pretty much done. Sad, because he really was good at the position, but inevitable.
Yeah the shelf life of a good RB is like 5 or 6 years tops.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:49 PM

#RNation? A hashtag on a uniform?? Really???

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:54 PM
arf

New Saskatchewan Roughrider jerseys have arrived at the Rider store for this year:

Home
Away

They look reasonably inoffensive which to me is a total win given how bad jerseys can be these days.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:17 PM

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 9:49 PM
arf

Why are Calgary's numbers so weird?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 10:23 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Why are Calgary's numbers so weird?
They're in "outlaw" script.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 10:43 PM

Do they come out with new jerseys every season now? this is getting silly...

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 11:08 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Do they come out with new jerseys every season now? this is getting silly...
This change is because it has shifted from Reebok to Adidas (the most sensible reason out of the last few years for a Jersey change).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
They're in "outlaw" script.
Ends up making the 2 look like a z to me, probably moreso because I write my z with the dash through it...

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 11:32 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
This change is because it has shifted from Reebok to Adidas (the most sensible reason out of the last few years for a Jersey change).

Ends up making the 2 look like a z to me, probably moreso because I write my z with the dash through it...
It is a "Z" ... that is player "5Z". They had to do that because they retired too many numbers.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 10:28 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Generally OK with the new uniforms, they didn't screw-up anything too badly. BC obviously is the most radical change but I think it's an improvement. My only complaint is Calgary, Sask., and Ottawa all have similar striping patterns. There are only 9 teams, surely they could of come up with something different for each of them.
The Bombers look great again (at least what they'll be wearing).

BTW - is there a good site to see the white versions ?

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
BTW - is there a good site to see the white versions ?

CFL Unveils New Adidas Uniforms Across League
Chris Creamer SportsLogos.NET May 12/2016

CFLShop.ca

Last edited by elly63; May 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 4:18 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks Elly - I did see those but I was hoping for the whole package (helmets, pants, numbers, etc.).
I did manage to find most of the aways by googling the teams individually.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:12 PM

Argos marketing

This Argos ad is now airing on TSN. I think it's an excellent piece that targets a young, urban demographic. Love the focus on tailgating and new BMO.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/23/t...rgos-football/

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
This Argos ad is now airing on TSN. I think it's an excellent piece that targets a young, urban demographic. Love the focus on tailgating and new BMO.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/23/t...rgos-football/
That's really good, they're starting to highlight the players in their ads. I never understood sports marketing that focuses on fans in the stands, that kind of thing (the Bombers are bad for this) when they should be highlighting the actual players and game action.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 7:33 PM
Reason and Freedom

Does anyone know what is going on at Investors Group Field? In the following video clip about rookie camp (@ 0:41 seconds), you can see an entire section of seats in the lower bowl missing: http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/05/2...s-rookie-camp/

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 7:40 PM

^ I haven't heard, but it's definitely not a reconfiguration of seating into a party zone or anything like that. When I picked my extra seats for the preseason game all sections on the east side were available as per normal. Perhaps it's some sort of waterproofing/remediation issue?

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 4:22 PM

Guelph QB lands dream job in Argonauts camp
Unlike NCAA, the CFL is free to open door to quarterback interns in the pre-season with clear benefits for both sides.
Morgan Campbell Staff Reporter thestar.com May 25, 2016

GUELPH—As quarterback James Roberts took his place among the other quarterbacks during warmups, the pressbox DJ at Alumni Stadium teed up the soundtrack for the Argos’ first practice of the pre-season.

Bass from a hip-hop track reverberated through the stadium as rappers A$AP Ferg and Future repeated their song’s title and central message.

“I’m on a New Level.”

Within minutes Roberts, a second-year quarterback at the University of Guelph, would know the feeling. He’ll spend training camp with the Argos under the CFL’s quarterback internship program, which sees each of the league’s teams work with a CIS quarterback for the pre-season. The interns will attend practices and video sessions, but won’t play games.

A program like this would never fly in the NCAA, where working out with a pro team could cost a college player his eligibility.

But internships, which expanded to include the entire league in 2012, dictate that players return to school. When Roberts rejoins the Gryphons this fall he’ll have completed a dream summer job and measured himself against professionals.

“This is their camp and their team and I get the pleasure to learn firsthand,” says Roberts, a Cambridge native. “(Film study) is more detailed, more strict and there’s more to it. I’ll take away from that what I can bring to my (university) team.”

Since 1991, only six Canadian pivots have thrown a regular-season pass in the CFL, and when Mississauga’s Brandon Bridge lined up for Montreal’s 2015 season finale he became the first Canadian to start at quarterback in 19 years. But the league says it embarked on the internship program in 2012 hoping to boost the quality of CIS football.

“(We’re) getting kids to go back to their CIS programs with a heightened sense of confidence and coaching,” says Kevin McDonald, the CFL’s VP of football operations. “You’re getting a kid who’s leaps and bounds ahead of where he’d left.”

The project hasn’t yet produced a full-time CFL player, but Carleton University head coach Steve Sumarah says it shrinks the skill gap between Canadian and American prospects. It also reduces the chance CFL coaches will overlook Canadian quarterbacking talent.

“I would love to be able to say we’ve got five or six Canadian quarterbacks playing, but that’s a bit of a pipe dream,” Sumarah says. “There has to be an end game. To have CFL teams confident and comfortable to bring in a CIS-developed quarterback would go a long way.”

Roberts completed 206 of 346 passes for 19 touchdowns last season but spent Wednesday as a spectator, watching Ricky Ray and the team’s other quarterbacks from a few yards behind the line of scrimmage. When Ray would take a drop, so would Roberts. And when Ray made a pass, Roberts would pantomime his own throw. The team doesn’t plan to use him in full-blown practice situations, but says Roberts will learn just by shadowing Ray.

“It can be a very intimidating process,” says Argos head coach Scott Milanovich. “You’re a college kid and you’re standing next to a guy who’s got three Grey Cup rings, and so far he’s handled it well. It can only help him, and help his leadership when he goes back to school.”

In the NCAA, even that much involvement with a pro team could sideline a player for months. In 2013, Toronto’s Myck Kabongo, then on a basketball scholarship at the University of Texas, served a 23-game suspension and paid a $475 fine when the NCAA learned he had travelled to Cleveland to work out with Cavaliers player Tristan Thompson.

Rigid rules governing amateurism help both the NCAA, which markets its stars, and pro leagues, which want to draft polished players. While those regulations protect multibillion-dollar businesses they also prohibit programs like the CFL internships, which could help smooth the transition from college to pro ball.

But a CFL-CIS partnership can exist precisely because of lower financial stakes, Sumarah says. Football doesn’t make CIS schools rich, and CFL teams can’t lure stars with eight-figure contracts.

“No CIS player in his second or third year is going to have some CFL team say, ‘Hey, drop out of school. We want you,’ ” Sumarah says.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 2:02 PM

Totally random, but rodpedersen.com mentioned this and I had to check it out for myself. Turns out it's true.

Apparently there is some sort of new subdivision in Regina where the streets are all named after Rider greats... Elgaard Drive, Ridgway Avenue, Suitor Crescent, etc. This is downright zany.

https://goo.gl/maps/ckreprWCW872

PS - Training camps opened yesterday!

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 2:54 PM
arf

No Austin? That's sacrilege. For anyone that lived through the Riders of the late 1970s and most of the 1980s, not having one for someone who single-handedly made us competitive despite having a defense giving up 35 points a game and led us to our second (yes second at that time) Grey Cup championship deserves the entire subdivision named after him. I don't care if he's a hothead or a jerk now. Bringing us up from that lousiness is LEGEND.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 2:57 PM

Quote:
No Austin? That's sacrilege. For anyone that lived through the Riders of the late 1970s and most of the 1980s, not having one for someone who single-handedly made us competitive despite having a defense giving up 35 points a game and led us to our second (yes second at that time) Grey Cup championship deserves the entire subdivision named after him. I don't care if he's a hothead or a jerk now. Bringing us up from that lousiness is LEGEND.
Call your city councillor!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada