HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:33 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
Icelandair have added several N. American routes this year Dallas Fort Worth, Cleveland, Baltimore, Kansas City and SAN Francisco. May have something to do with a metal shortage. http://www.icelandair.ca/news/
Definitely reduced to 4 weekly. Same frequency per week as YVR this summer.

Airlines rarely pull frequencies off well performing routes to start new routes. Generally, they would pull flights off underperforming routes hoping that the new route(s) will perform better for them.

With FI reducing to 4 weekly, KL stagnant at 4 weekly on 332s and WS maintaining only 2 weekly for about 8 weeks re-inforces the notion that YEG-Europe is not a very large market.

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Feb 9, 2018 at 8:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 7:24 PM

Integra is ending it’s scheduled service to Medicine Hat

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:07 AM

YEG needs to do a better job with the taxi line. First of all, why is it outside in the winter? At Chicago MDW the line is inside and an attendant comes and gets you when your taxi is ready. I waited for 20 minutes in -28 weather. Out-of-towners don't always have warm enough clothes for something like that.

Second, the line moves way too slowly. There can be 10 taxis lined up and waiting to go, but because of the layout of the line, there isn't really room to move down to waiting taxis and you have to wait, unnecessarily, for the front two or three cabs to load up and drive away before anyone else can load. There is no reason why 10 cabs can't be loading at the same time. This would speed things up nicely. The line just needs to be organized differently and the attendants need to speed things up accordingly.

On the bright side, it was good to see so many people arrive in YEG on such a cold dark night!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
YEG needs to do a better job with the taxi line. First of all, why is it outside in the winter? At Chicago MDW the line is inside and an attendant comes and gets you when your taxi is ready. I waited for 20 minutes in -28 weather. Out-of-towners don't always have warm enough clothes for something like that.

Second, the line moves way too slowly. There can be 10 taxis lined up and waiting to go, but because of the layout of the line, there isn't really room to move down to waiting taxis and you have to wait, unnecessarily, for the front two or three cabs to load up and drive away before anyone else can load. There is no reason why 10 cabs can't be loading at the same time. This would speed things up nicely. The line just needs to be organized differently and the attendants need to speed things up accordingly.

On the bright side, it was good to see so many people arrive in YEG on such a cold dark night!
I am sure those people are not happy as they are probably coming back from sun destinations and freezing their butts off waiting for a cab or shuttle bus which ties into your point about enclosed areas.
Why not look at enclosing those areas with some form of structure to protect people against the elements.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:45 PM
Community Guy

Never had an issue at YEG with that, but YVR, YVR is atrocious.

We had a line of 5-10 people, ZERO cabs for a few minutes and then 1 or 2 trickle in with one of those being a smaller car which meant luggage would not fit in it for most.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
I am sure those people are not happy as they are probably coming back from sun destinations and freezing their butts off waiting for a cab or shuttle bus which ties into your point about enclosed areas.
Why not look at enclosing those areas with some form of structure to protect people against the elements.
People weren't happy! There was one guy who yelled and swore and was quite abusive to the attendant. This behaviour was disgusting (probably too much liquor on the plane) but the guy did actually have a point. It's not that there weren't enough taxis--there were lots. It was that everyone had to wait in line while other people loaded. Instead of loading 10 taxis at a time, we were loading 1 or 2.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
People weren't happy! There was one guy who yelled and swore and was quite abusive to the attendant. This behaviour was disgusting (probably too much liquor on the plane) but the guy did actually have a point. It's not that there weren't enough taxis--there were lots. It was that everyone had to wait in line while other people loaded. Instead of loading 10 taxis at a time, we were loading 1 or 2.
I've noticed this as well, but more airport parking buses. Flying out today, I noticed how the arrival area needs the 2000's midsized city look changed. We are a northern city and should accommodate for colder weather...especially wind on days like today.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
As a comparison both Montreal and Saskatoon have you wait inside the terminal building for taxi service.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:08 AM

Edmonton International Airport

Passenger Statistics for January 2018 --

Highlights:

§ Terminal Traffic: 607,165 passengers
Q Domestic 456,765 passengers
Q Transborder 87,827 passengers
Q International 62,573 passengers

§ FBO Traffic*: 33,542 passengers

§ Grand Total: Overall 640,707 passengers

Growth%:

§ Terminal: 6.2%
Q Domestic 7.1%
Q Transborder 3.5%
Q International 3.4%

§ FBO Traffic: 2.8%

§ Grand Total: Overall 6.0%

*FBO passengers are passengers using the fixed base operators at YEG and not the main terminal. Most of this traffic serves energy and mining projects in the north.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:50 AM

Good numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
International and trans border for 2018 will probably get off to a slow start.

With KLM reducing to twice weekly and Icelandair taking a two month hiatus international will struggle in Jan and Feb.
Ummm ok.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:13 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
Good numbers.

Ummm ok.
Since I've been quoted, let me explain.

The international increase averages to an additional 32 pax per day or 220 pax per week. It's good to see a turnaround from 2017 but yes, still struggling. Obviously due to a few additional sun flights per week offsetting the reduced Europe capacity.

Jan 2018 62,573
Jan 2017 60,541
Jan 2016 65,361
Jan 2015 65,690

The transborder increase averages 118 pax per day or less than an A319. Also still struggling. Mainly due to a couple of extra flights per week to Vegas and the extra CR9 to PHX on AA.

Jan 2018 87,827
Jan 2017 80,489
Jan 2016 96,994
Jan 2015 118,217

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:

The international increase averages to an additional 32 pax per day or 220 pax per week. It's good to see a turnaround from 2017 but yes, still struggling. Obviously due to a few additional sun flights per week offsetting the reduced Europe capacity.

Jan 2018 62,573
Jan 2017 60,541
Jan 2016 65,361
Jan 2015 65,690

The transborder increase averages 118 pax per day or less than an A319. Also still struggling. Mainly due to a couple of extra flights per week to Vegas and the extra CR9 to PHX on AA.

Jan 2018 87,827
Jan 2017 80,489
Jan 2016 96,994
Jan 2015 118,217
It may seem like small potatoes but the important thing is YEG has hopefully stopped bleeding passengers and can start turning things around. An extra 319 per day is a good way to start.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:

Jan 2018 62,573
Jan 2017 60,541
Jan 2016 65,361
Jan 2015 65,690

Jan 2018 87,827
Jan 2017 80,489
Jan 2016 96,994
Jan 2015 118,217

Sure...may not be full recovery yet. But positive nonetheless. Additional capacity to the US would have made things better on the Transborder side of things, but we are still getting funneled through YVR and YYZ....you can see the domestic numbers keep climbing.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:53 PM
Urbis Maximus

Any growth in PAX numbers is positive, period.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
Icelandair have added several N. American routes this year Dallas Fort Worth, Cleveland, Baltimore, Kansas City and SAN Francisco. May have something to do with a metal shortage. http://www.icelandair.ca/news/
FI is getting Max 8s this year, and converting its routes to YUL and YHZ to that type. CLE and PHL will also be launched with the Max 8. Some of its European routes are also going the way of the B737 Max 8. So FI shouldn't have any B757 shortage.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ir%20cleveland

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Feb 13, 2018 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
FI is getting Max 8s this year, and converting its routes to YUL and YHZ to that type. CLE and PHL will also be launched with the Max 8. Some of its European routes are also going the way of the B737 Max 8. So FI shouldn't have any B757 shortage.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ir%20cleveland
Maybe they will add Calgary ...lots of traffic there apparently. Or they could add Montreal year round ... instead of seasonal. Or maybe Toronto ... after all they fly to London Gatwick and Heathrow so servicing large HUBS is not an issue. Maybe they will sell off some 757 to United (they still fly twice as many 757's (77) than Icelandair air have in their whole fleet (28) or Delta which runs 128 757's. Icelandair has lots of options.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:32 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Maybe they will add Calgary ...lots of traffic there apparently.
You are correct that YYC-Europe is a larger market. However, it’s also more competitive with 7 airlines flying to 5 cities. I’m sure YYC is on their radar but maybe not ready for direct service yet.

If YEG-KEF was giving Icelandair decent returns they wouldn’t have cut the winter service or reduced summer service.

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Feb 14, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:49 AM

Confirmed: This was the first and last time i fly with Air Transat.

Last night i had the "pleasure" of returning home from a sunny Cancun using the infamous 1-stop Air Transat flight to Cancun, TS 794 and TS 795.

TS 794 - YEG-YYC-CUN
1. Departure was at 9am. Boarding time was 8am. Everyone was at the gate at 8am. What time did we board? 8:40am. I asked multiple times why we are boarding so late. The staff mentioned that "the flight attendants had to clean/get the plane ready before we board." I mentioned why wasn't the plane ready at 8am when the plane was sitting at the gate from midnight after its return from Puerto Vallarta? Of course they had no answer as they didn't expect me to call them on it. Prior to boarding, they gave me a card with a number to call. I said yeah right i've already talked to multiple people in Quebec who insisted the non-stop to one-stop change was minor.
2. We boarded and then there was another delay as the flight attendant came on the intercom to announce that "there is a delay as the ground crew is having problems closing the door because of the cold weather."
3. Landed in YYC late. Took off from YYC slightly late. The flight crew seemed proud to announce that we would be in Cancun early. I find this a bit of a false story. I have been looking at TS flights for the past three months and for the most part they are early. What i do believe is that they pad their schedule. Reminds me of communist train timetables.
4. Bought food on board. Mediocre at best but this is more typical of all airlines. But definitely no better than Air Canada Rouge.
5. I found the TS 332 remarkably warm for what i thought was a newer aircraft in their fleet. The seats remind me of the old ETS white buses with orange seats but they are quite firm and not the most comfortable. The IFE was good though and extremely responsive albeit with a few TS ads here and there.
6. I can confirm that Air Transat has no "priority baggage handling" for kids in their kids club. I don't even know what the hell this means even though it's on their website. https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/kids-club In fact they gate check your stroller however you will not get the stroller back at the gate at your destination. Never had this issue with AC or WS.
7. The plane was maybe 30% full on the way down to YYC and 90% full down to CUN.

TS 795 - CUN-YYC-YEG

1. Talked to a mom with 4 kids flying back to YYC. She mentioned that TS changed their schedule multiple times as well and they were not impressed but at least their flight was always non-stop.
2. The plane was less full heading back. Maybe 80% back to YYC.
3. My kids were sleeping in a kama sutra position on the seats and one flight attendant kept on insisting that i put the arm rest down on landing. I said why. She said to hold on to something during turbulence. I said they all have seat belts on, i don't want to squish their little bodies with the stupid armrest and i have never been asked to do this on AC, WS or LH. After the 2nd time she asked me i gave a her a puzzling look and a 2nd TS flight attendant said don't worry about it. Again, not sure if this is procedure but i have never had this pushed on me before and this just added to the poor experience.
4. During our stop at YYC i was talking with other people who were also unimpressed about the added stop and they also felt they got duped. The two flight attendants were admittedly completely uncomfortable. Too bad they cannot pass on customers sentiments back to Mr. CEO back in Quebec.
5. The flight crew changed at YYC in both directions. Not sure if this resulted in time being added to the flight.
6. Flight crew again mentioned that we would be arriving in YEG early. Yay.
7. Here's more fun. We land at YEG last night and the flight crew mentions that there will be a slight delay in parking the plane as the crew needs "to walk to their positions" for the aircraft to arrive. Who does TS use for a ground crew at YEG? Do they not know when an aircraft is arriving? There is virtually nothing going on at YEG at this time. I'm assuming this is not EIA's fault in any way.
8. Then we park. We wait 10 minutes for the two ladies to push the jet bridge onto the aircraft. Why? Who controls the jet bridge at YEG? The TS ground crew or EIA personnel? They suck. I literally stared at the two people for 10 minutes waiting for them to move the jet bridge.
9. When i get off the plane i ask the two "jet bridge attendants" is the stroller being brought up and they said no. I said is this Air Transat policy? They say yes and mention that the "stroller will be on the carousel". Key words here.
10. Fairly seamless passage through customs via the electronic machines. Commendable setup. Most people knew what to do.
11. I get to the luggage carousel and waited until almost the end and no stroller. I notice the two "jet bridge attendants" at the luggage claim counter. Talk about multi-tasking. I said where are the strollers. They say in the "oversized baggage area". I said you didn't tell me that when you got off the plane. They said yes we did. As you can see this conversation went nowhere at 2:00am. Can someone confirm to me if these are Air Transat employees?

Lessons learned:
1. Do not fly Air Transat.
2. See lesson learned #1.

Bright side:
1. Great stay in the Mayan Riviera.
2. No "technical stop" in Nashville.
3. No four hour tarmac stop in Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:05 PM

I have flown Air transat numerous times, each time had a few issues but that is common especially on holidays when you just want to get to the location and are flying a charter airline.

I suggest you stick with scheduled carriers in the future.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Confirmed: This was the first and last time i fly with Air Transat.

Last night i had the "pleasure" of returning home from a sunny Cancun using the infamous 1-stop Air Transat flight to Cancun, TS 794 and TS 795.

TS 794 - YEG-YYC-CUN
1. Departure was at 9am. Boarding time was 8am. Everyone was at the gate at 8am. What time did we board? 8:40am. I asked multiple times why we are boarding so late. The staff mentioned that "the flight attendants had to clean/get the plane ready before we board." I mentioned why wasn't the plane ready at 8am when the plane was sitting at the gate from midnight after its return from Puerto Vallarta? Of course they had no answer as they didn't expect me to call them on it. Prior to boarding, they gave me a card with a number to call. I said yeah right i've already talked to multiple people in Quebec who insisted the non-stop to one-stop change was minor.
2. We boarded and then there was another delay as the flight attendant came on the intercom to announce that "there is a delay as the ground crew is having problems closing the door because of the cold weather."
3. Landed in YYC late. Took off from YYC slightly late. The flight crew seemed proud to announce that we would be in Cancun early. I find this a bit of a false story. I have been looking at TS flights for the past three months and for the most part they are early. What i do believe is that they pad their schedule. Reminds me of communist train timetables.
4. Bought food on board. Mediocre at best but this is more typical of all airlines. But definitely no better than Air Canada Rouge.
5. I found the TS 332 remarkably warm for what i thought was a newer aircraft in their fleet. The seats remind me of the old ETS white buses with orange seats but they are quite firm and not the most comfortable. The IFE was good though and extremely responsive albeit with a few TS ads here and there.
6. I can confirm that Air Transat has no "priority baggage handling" for kids in their kids club. I don't even know what the hell this means even though it's on their website. https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/kids-club In fact they gate check your stroller however you will not get the stroller back at the gate at your destination. Never had this issue with AC or WS.
7. The plane was maybe 30% full on the way down to YYC and 90% full down to CUN.

TS 795 - CUN-YYC-YEG

1. Talked to a mom with 4 kids flying back to YYC. She mentioned that TS changed their schedule multiple times as well and they were not impressed but at least their flight was always non-stop.
2. The plane was less full heading back. Maybe 80% back to YYC.
3. My kids were sleeping in a kama sutra position on the seats and one flight attendant kept on insisting that i put the arm rest down on landing. I said why. She said to hold on to something during turbulence. I said they all have seat belts on, i don't want to squish their little bodies with the stupid armrest and i have never been asked to do this on AC, WS or LH. After the 2nd time she asked me i gave a her a puzzling look and a 2nd TS flight attendant said don't worry about it. Again, not sure if this is procedure but i have never had this pushed on me before and this just added to the poor experience.
4. During our stop at YYC i was talking with other people who were also unimpressed about the added stop and they also felt they got duped. The two flight attendants were admittedly completely uncomfortable. Too bad they cannot pass on customers sentiments back to Mr. CEO back in Quebec.
5. The flight crew changed at YYC in both directions. Not sure if this resulted in time being added to the flight.
6. Flight crew again mentioned that we would be arriving in YEG early. Yay.
7. Here's more fun. We land at YEG last night and the flight crew mentions that there will be a slight delay in parking the plane as the crew needs "to walk to their positions" for the aircraft to arrive. Who does TS use for a ground crew at YEG? Do they not know when an aircraft is arriving? There is virtually nothing going on at YEG at this time. I'm assuming this is not EIA's fault in any way.
8. Then we park. We wait 10 minutes for the two ladies to push the jet bridge onto the aircraft. Why? Who controls the jet bridge at YEG? The TS ground crew or EIA personnel? They suck. I literally stared at the two people for 10 minutes waiting for them to move the jet bridge.
9. When i get off the plane i ask the two "jet bridge attendants" is the stroller being brought up and they said no. I said is this Air Transat policy? They say yes and mention that the "stroller will be on the carousel". Key words here.
10. Fairly seamless passage through customs via the electronic machines. Commendable setup. Most people knew what to do.
11. I get to the luggage carousel and waited until almost the end and no stroller. I notice the two "jet bridge attendants" at the luggage claim counter. Talk about multi-tasking. I said where are the strollers. They say in the "oversized baggage area". I said you didn't tell me that when you got off the plane. They said yes we did. As you can see this conversation went nowhere at 2:00am. Can someone confirm to me if these are Air Transat employees?

Lessons learned:
2. See lesson learned #1.

Bright side:
1. Great stay in the Mayan Riviera.
2. No "technical stop" in Nashville.
3. No four hour tarmac stop in Ottawa.
Slight correction:

Lessons learned:
2. Planned schedule stop at YYC (Nashville avoidance no better)
3. See lesson learned #1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton