HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

30 Park Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:05 PM
Urban Explorer

I swear, the next time the term "starchitect" gets used I'm going to kill someone.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 10:24 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I swear, the next time the term "starchitect" gets used I'm going to kill someone.
The irony is whenever 'starchitect' is mentioned I think of it as 'starkitect'...perhaps not inappropriately.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 11:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Forget next month, how about next Tuesday?
That's at least something to look forward to. Maybe we'll get final designs/details on his remaining WTC towers as well.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:33 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Curbed.com
1/26/2008

Stern's Church Riseth —

At a Downtown Alliance breakfast on Tuesday, developer Larry Silverstein will unveil starchitect Robert A.M. Stern's design for the planned 60-story condo-hotel project at 99 Church Street in Lower Manhattan.

Before phoning in a favor with the Downtown Alliance to snag an invite, please note that the breakfast will be webcast live. Still, what fun is a new Stern design without the accompanying runny eggs and rock-hard pancakes?

Anyone know what design was unveiled, exactly?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

It's tomorrow.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 2:21 PM

Stunning numbers - it will be taller than Woolworth!!

From curbed:

Quote:
Silverstein & Stern's 99 Church: Four Seasons! Limestone!

The webcast quality was a little garbled, so we won't have a good look at the renderings for Robert A.M. Stern's 99 Church Street condo-hotel until later today, but developer Larry Silverstein unleashed all the wild details at the Downtown Alliance's breakfast meeting this morning, and here are the fun ones:

1) The hotel will be operated by Four Seasons. Yes, Lower Manhattan is getting a five-star Four Seasons. With a view of a giant pit. It's the city's second 4S.

2) Robert A.M. Stern is like Gallagher: find something you do well that catches on, and keep doing it forever. In Bob's case, limestone is his watermelon-smashing.

3) At 80 stories when it tops out in 2010, 99 Church will be Manhattan's tallest residential building. There will be 143 condos, including full-floor penthouses.

4) The hotel lobby will be on Barclay Street, and will have four floors of hotel amenities space. The residents' lobby will be at 30 Park Place. A public plaza on the east side of the building will link Park Place and Barclay Street.

5) LEED certified! Larry, you dirty hippie!

More to come, folks.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 2:35 PM

More here.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Now that's what I'm talking about...

Nice to see Goldman in that render also.

Quote:
At 80 stories when it tops out in 2010, 99 Church will be Manhattan's tallest residential building.
Not so sure about that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Very excited about this. Put some resized renderings on the first page.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:03 PM

Awesome news. I loved his other building and it's great that NYC is getting an even taller limestone building. Is this going to be taller than the Trump near the U.N.?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:19 PM

Yup. The crack staff over at WNY has already determined this tower to be around 950 ft.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yup. The crack staff over at WNY has already determined this tower to be around 950 ft.
912 ft at wtc.com
http://wtc.com/news/silverstein-part...wn-development

Silverstein Partners with Four Seasons for New Downtown Development

January 29, 2008

Silverstein Properties President and CEO Larry A. Silverstein today announced an agreement with Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts - the world leader in luxury hospitality and service - to operate a hotel and private residences within a new development at 99 Church Street in Lower Manhattan. The announcement was made at a breakfast sponsored by the Alliance for Downtown New York and the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Association.

Located between Barclay Street and Park Place, the new development will be home to a Four Seasons Hotel in the first twenty-two floors of the eighty-story tower, which will also include a restaurant.

The remainder of the approximately 912-foot-tower will accommodate private residences, which will be managed by Four Seasons. The development also will include a public plaza.

Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group, the leader in value creation for the world's most prestigious luxury residential developers, will handle marketing and sales of the condominiums.

The elegant tower is designed by the renowned Robert A.M. Stern Architects and developed by Silverstein Properties, which is simultaneously developing three office towers at the World Trade Center. Robert A.M. Stern Architects will also be designing the hotel public spaces and residence interiors. Yabu Pushelberg is the hotel interior designer. SLCE Architects is the architect-of-record. Construction will begin in June of this year with completion anticipated in early 2011.

"Our partnership with Four Seasons serves as further validation of Downtown's ongoing transformation into a dynamic, sustainable and unparalleled urban community," said Mr. Silverstein. "This evolution will reach its apex in the coming years as a resurgent Lower Manhattan economy, anchored by a 21st century global business hub at the World Trade Center, merges seamlessly with a first-class residential, hotel and tourist community that will serve as a model for cities all over the world."

The Hotel and Private Residences will offer the growing residential and business communities a high level of service and style unique to the Downtown area. The Hotel will consist of 175 rooms, a premier restaurant, lounge, full-service spa and health club with pool. Over one-quarter of the hotel rooms will be suites, including a 3,700-square-foot royal suite. The residential area will include 143 luxury condominiums, as large as 6,500 square feet. Amenities for the private residents are located between the Hotel and Residences and include a 75-ft heated indoor pool, fitness center, lounge area, and children's room.

"We have been privileged to manage a truly iconic hotel in New York, on 57th Street, with Ty Warner, our visionary owner," said Kathleen Taylor, President and Chief Operating Officer, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts. "This development, with the combined vision of Silverstein Properties and Robert Stern, promises to be another exciting project as it re-invents the historic downtown district."

Sharing a city block with the Woolworth Building, Cass Gilbert's iconic 1913 skyscraper, and strategically located one block from the World Trade Center redevelopment site, the new mixed-use tower will become a distinct landmark among the city's skyscrapers.

"99 Church will counterpoint the glass-and-steel office towers that Larry Silverstein and his organization are building along Greenwich Street, and together these buildings will help Lower Manhattan realize its potential as a great place to live and work. I am proud to be a part of this effort," said Robert A.M. Stern,
founder and senior partner of Robert A.M. Stern Architects and Dean of the Yale School of Architecture.

The hotel entrance on Barclay Street will lead visitors into four floors of lobbies, lounges, restaurant, ballrooms, and meeting facilities, as well as a spa, fitness center and pool. A second entrance to the restaurant will be on Church Street. The public rooms of the hotel face a through-block landscaped public plaza framed by a lower annex building that conceals building services and access to below-grade parking.

A separate entrance and lobby at 30 Park Place serves the residences. The limestone and cast stone shaft of the tower will rise to a dramatic skyline profile of full-floor penthouses and setback terraces.

"Corcoran Sunshine is thrilled to partner with the prestigious team on 30 Park Place, a development that will unquestionably advance the revitalization efforts of Downtown and provide the city with a lauded new landmark on its skyline," said Corcoran Sunshine President, Kelly Kennedy Mack.

According to the Downtown Alliance, the neighborhood's residential and hotel stock are expected to increase dramatically in the coming years. Over 5,400 new residential units are in development. More than 3,700 new hotel rooms are currently under construction or planned in Lower Manhattan, and an estimated 1.27 million unique hotel guests will stay in the area each year beginning in 2009.

"Larry Silverstein is a tireless advocate for Lower Manhattan and a major factor in Downtown's incredible revitalization," said Elizabeth H. Berger, President of the Alliance for Downtown New York. "He helped jump-start redevelopment in Lower Manhattan by rebuilding 7 World Trade Center in near record time, and the wide range of tenants this architecturally significant building has attracted only adds to Downtown's robust and diversifying economy. Larry's on-going development of the World Trade Center site and his exciting new project at 99 Church Street are reasons why Lower Manhattan's dynamic live/work community is a global model for urban centers of the 21st century."

The pre-existing building at 99 Church Street was the former headquarters of Moody's Corporation. The site was purchased by and is being redeveloped through Metro Fund, LLC, a joint venture of Silverstein Properties and the California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS), a pension fund. Last month, the partnership acquired 1177 Avenue of the Americas and, in 2006, purchased 575 Lexington Avenue.

Demolition of the pre-existing building began in October 2007. Foundation work for the new tower is expected to start in June 2008. Tishman Construction Corporation, which built 7 World Trade Center for Silverstein Properties in 2006 and is the general contractor for several other Lower Manhattan projects including the Freedom Tower and the Goldman Sachs headquarters, is serving as Construction Manager on the project.

The redevelopment of the 99 Church Street site is designed to work in tandem with the revitalization of the World Trade Center, which together promises a brighter, more vibrant future for Downtown New York
through a dynamic mix of superior commercial space, a modernized and more convenient transportation system, and a range of cultural and retail destinations. The Downtown Alliance estimates that between 10 and 12 million people will visit Downtown annually upon the completion of the WTC Memorial and Museum in 2012.

And still no sign of Gehry's tower....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:27 PM

So we were off 38 feet. Not bad.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
So we were off 38 feet. Not bad.
Not bad at all. I had it previously around 900, with maybe an off-rendering pushing it closer to 1,000. So I guess now Gehry won't take this latest grab at the spotlight sitting down. His newest version? A 1,000 footer...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not bad at all. I had it previously around 900, with maybe an off-rendering pushing it closer to 1,000. So I guess now Gehry won't take this latest grab at the spotlight sitting down. His newest version? A 1,000 footer...
Gehry! who is Gehry? all he has to show after 4 years is a glorified hole in the ground. Their time in the spotlight has come and gone IMO. He ought to take a few cues from Silverstein; he gets things done. On another note this building needs a west/east perspective before I pass my final judgement, nevertheless, I like what I see thusfar. Sound like the limestone facade will work well with Woolworth and 10 Barclay. Should make for an interesting cluster.

Last edited by Antares41; Jan 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
!!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 6:39 PM
World Machine

Oh my God, is this a surprise or what. Glad to hear this.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 6:48 PM

What is the building right behind it(to the south I think)?

btw.. very nice I like how it gives the woolworth its space.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 7:01 PM

Wow, congrats NY! Another huge skyscraper, so close to WTC? That'll be one of the most fascinating square miles in skyscraper architecture, with the Woolworth and WTC and now this. . . though it probably is already, right? This IS New York.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 7:09 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
This IS New York.
Yes it is. People were slamming the city for having new 1,000 footers including pole heights, but they failed to realize that those were just the warm-ups, now the big boys are rolling in.

-1 WTC -The Girasole -Jean's Midtown Tower
-2 WTC -Sherwood -99 Church Street
-3 WTC -Hotel Penn Tower -BofA
-4 WTC -The Hudson Yards -NYTT

-Goldman Sachs -And all the countless residentials
-Beekman -And the multiple other I didn't mention
-11 Times Square

This time in History is what the New York way of building is all about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive