HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml1471 View Post
lol.
I see it in the way they walk
I thought I was the only one who saw this!

Honest to frig, is there anywhere else where people are such fat-assed sidewalk hogs? Move over and waddle faster, f'fuqseiq!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:05 PM

I've travelled extensively and i've never seen it like it is in Ottawa. I don't object to their pace - if they want to go slow, so be it. But they make no attempt to show courtesy and move over to let you get by when they realise you're there like the rest of the world does. They're gonna walk slow AND make sure you can't walk fast either. That is the Ottawa difference.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:06 PM

I see it in drivers - pretty much daily - who slam on their brakes and come to a dead stop, then signal for a left turn, but only as they're already in the turn....and I'm halfway up their tailpipe. Or veeerrrry slowly moving over two lanes to get to a turn they forgot to line up for. To lazy to signal, or drive around the block.
I might own and drive a car, but when I'm walking - and I try to do that more and more often - I move across the street quickly, and motion for cars to make their right turn if I'm on the corner not planning to cross.
When I'm actually behind the wheel, I see people slowly sauntering across the street at crosswalks, taking up to a minute to get to the other side. Not elderly - young people. That, and people standing like zombies at a corner waiting to cross, their eyes glued on the walk/don't walk sign across from them, unaware of anything going on around them - such as cars slowly trying to make a right turn. They're just waiting to bolt like a horse out of the gate, and can't notice a whole vehicle with blinker on two feet from them.
I now vehicles are supposed to look out for pedestrians, but at least look around a bit if you're walking.

Yes, that rant, and many more things. People are in their own little world, for sure. Not everyone, but too many people. And the unbelievable persistence of people trying to ban things and not get other things built is amazing. Except that money and time and effort is put into stopping things they don't like and protecting themselves and themselves only ("I don't want neighbours looking in my windows!"....where doesn't that happen, honestly???)), rather than bettering the overall community.
No one can be bothered to support a cause or do some community service, donate to something beyond them or pick up litter, but if one's view is at stake, or a nearby house is within zoning but two feet taller, etc., they'll go to committee, form groups, put together powerpoint presentations, hire lawyers, call the media for a sad-sack picture of suffering - the whole nine yards.

And they'll say it's for all of Ottawa and label themselves activists, but when every sentence starts with "What about MY.....?", you have to question their motives.
Basically an unwillingness to accept reality, an unwillingness to compromise or see things another way, and a complete aversion to any change. It's a weird psychological phenomenon, the best example being Stegasaurus Ken Grey and his very small number of NIMBY supporters. You could write a paper on it, for sure.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:17 PM

I know I rant about people who hate intensification/change, but in my own situation, a whole mess of three storey townhomes are being built across the street (and up the hill) from my two-storey home, making them two storeys taller than my house. What do I do? Nothing - what am I going to say, that people can't buy property and build what zoning allows because I don't like it and I have veto power? It's too bad, but that's the way it is - I've got much bigger things to focus on.
That's the difference - other people can't see it this way, are used to having everything going smoothly and always getting their way, and can't imagine it otherwise. Thus, they latch on to these things and pursue them rabidly, having it consume their whole lives - and for what, really?
Seeing the anger at some - all - of these development meetings is really scary at times. People red in the face and unable to contain themselves because something 4 or 6 stories (in most cases) is being built often nowhere near their house. Blocks away. Out of visual sight.
But just the idea of it consumes them.
I don't think people like that are well in the head, and worry that there is an entire city of nutjobs out there. They say the only constant is change, but I guess that doesn't apply to this city in people's minds.

Spooky mindset, and I'd love to see it disappear or at least diminish a lot.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:24 PM
Awesome!

Sure, Ken would love to see Kanata hitting 250 000 residents in 10 years or so. (sarcasm!)

Isn't there already some 20 story-buildings nearby at Baseline and Greenbank? Geez!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 10:31 PM

Just as long as there's nothing tall to 'ruin' the satellite city....

Yes, I believe there are one or two 12 storey buildings about a block from this site - those ones are fine, but these ones will ruin everything. For sure. We'll all have to move to Kanata.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
And the unbelievable persistence of people trying to ban things and not get other things built is amazing.
Let's ban bans!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Let's ban bans!
But calling for bans is heritage!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
But calling for bans is heritage!
Let's ban bans, with a heritage overlay!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Let's ban bans, with a heritage overlay!
We'll need a study!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 9:06 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
We'll need a study!
I'd like to be on the ACSCSBBHO (Advisory Committee to the Steering Committee of the Study Banning Bans with a Heritage Overlay).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
We'll need a study!
Super-awesome; I'll be the consultant! That'll be $212,455, please!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Does that include disbursements and HST.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Does that include disbursements and HST.
Hell no! Pappa's gotta put food on the table!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:25 AM

Quote:
I dispute your findings and will take you to the OMB. $500,897 please.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:36 PM
Citizen-at-large

This discussion has me thinking up an idea for a new board game. It would be called "Development Proposal" and have three types of players. One person of each type would 'win' each game. The Developer who makes the most money would win; the NIMBY who stops the most projects near their home would win; and the City Councillor who at the end of the game gets elected Mayor (requiring a combination of money (controlled by the developers) and votes (controlled by the NIMBIES) would win.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
This discussion has me thinking up an idea for a new board game. It would be called "Development Proposal" and have three types of players. One person of each type would 'win' each game. The Developer who makes the most money would win; the NIMBY who stops the most projects near their home would win; and the City Councillor who at the end of the game gets elected Mayor (requiring a combination of money (controlled by the developers) and votes (controlled by the NIMBIES) would win.
Brilliant.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:39 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 11:56 PM

I haven't seen one development by Brigil that I actually like.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 2:19 AM

I hope that's very "preliminary". Looks like the 1990's just took a crap near Baseline and Greenbank. The towers look benign enough but the materials in the renders look very dated. The colours look eerily like the early Lebreton renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa