HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:09 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

When Central Terminal B opens, will you still be able to go directly to Terminal A without going through the Central Terminal?

So if the airport is expanded to its maximum capacity, I guess they will change the name of Central Terminal B to simply Central Terminal as that terminal will be servicing all Concourses/Terminals A, B, and C. Will Terminal A always be independent of the Central Terminal?

How does one get from the Central Terminal to Concouse C? By way of a people mover that travels under the Concourse C parking garage?

Also, when the Central Terminal is expanded in the future. It will be longer/deeper. therefore it will no longer be as open and airy as less light will reach the deeper end of the terminal.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:13 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
BTW the reason the glass facade is oriented to the south is to give travelers a view of downtown. The airport's intent is to be the gateway to the city and it would have been an architectural contradiction to face airside.
I am happy that the Concouse will have views of the runway, but I wonder how good of a view the Central Terminal will have of downtown considering the roadways, trees and landscaping.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:31 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
When Central Terminal B opens, will you still be able to go directly to Terminal A without going through the Central Terminal?
yes.

After the phase II expansion 2020 and beyond the central terminal will be expanded and all ticketing and baggage claim will be moved to the central terminal and the automated people mover will be expanded to (what will then be) Concourse A.

Quote:
So if the airport is expanded to its maximum capacity, I guess they will change the name of Central Terminal B to simply Central Terminal as that terminal will be servicing all Concourses/Terminals A, B, and C.
Correct

Quote:
Will Terminal A always be independent of the Central Terminal?
No, again the plan is to eventually move all ticketing and baggage claim to an expanded Central Terminal.

Quote:
How does one get from the Central Terminal to Concouse C? By way of a people mover that travels under the Concourse C parking garage?
Well it's too early to know for certain, but the early airport master plan showed the automated people mover will travel between parking garage number II (which is planned to be built with this phase) and a possible third parking garage that would be built when Concourse C is built. It will not be under ground as the APM will depart from the third level.

BTW before we see Concourse C, Terminal (ahem) Concourse A is still expected to construct additional gate space by adding on to each end of the concourse and i believe Concourse B will be able to accomodate 4 more gates.

Here's a rendering that I doctored based upon what I have seen from the AMP. The shaded area represents future expansion for 2020 and beyond.

Quote:
Also, when the Central Terminal is expanded in the future. It will be longer/deeper. therefore it will no longer be as open and airy as less light will reach the deeper end of the terminal.

Corgan is the best in the business and i would guess they've already planned ahead to know exactly how much light will filter into a larger facility..

Last edited by urban_encounter; Aug 2, 2008 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:33 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
I am happy that the Concouse will have views of the runway, but I wonder how good of a view the Central Terminal will have of downtown considering the roadways, trees and landscaping.

Not to mention a rather stubby skyline...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Not to mention a rather stubby skyline...

lol...I was thinking the same thing. When ever I'm at the airport I always try and look at the skyline...it's not the easiest thing to find.

Thanks for all the great info, Urban.

Also, not that I would use it often, but it would good to see a nice restaurant as part of the retail that goes in. I know when I'm traveling and I am able to expense meals/drinks , I've got my idea out for something better than a CPK Express or Chilli's.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:47 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
I've got my idea out for something better than a CPK Express or Chilli's.

Paragarys??

j/k

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 2:26 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Hey, urban, thanks for the doctored diagram and info. I tried to bring in that same diagram but didnt have access to photo bucket/shutterfly at the time.

After the 2020 phase II expansion, what will they do with the baggage area and ticketing at Terminal A, and the roadway between the terminal A garage and terminal A?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Paragarys??

j/k
What do you mean, I love Paragarys.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 4:59 AM
Here we stAy

This map from the official site show the proposed path of the future people movers.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 5:07 AM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Ha! No kidding...

Seriously though, I don't know much about how far money goes for an art budget, but 8M sounds like we better see something damn good.
The amount of money set aside for artists is $5 million and two of the five
million has already been awarded to two artist back east… many local artists
were not happy about that.

Also, the call for local artists to submit qualifications to be included in
the “Airport Art Program” has been extended. The original due date to
submit and be considered was August 4th… unfortunately not many local
artist have stepped up to this opportunity, so they have now extended the
due date to September 15th. All artists would have the opportunity to have
their art reviewed and considered for a public installation at the new
airport terminal. I submitted some of my photos and hope to make the cut… if
you know anybody who loves being creative, encourage them to enter.

For more information or an application, please log on to
www.SacMetroArts.org.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 5:25 AM

Has that art allocation changed? I've heard 8M a few times in the past...has it gone down?

It would be nice to see some local artists get in the mix. Best of luck, Innov8. You do great work, so I have to think you would have a chance.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 6:14 AM
my posse's on broadway

Yeah it's a little confusing. So much money for the arts.... who'd a thunk?

$1.5 million for the first round of art, from the three chosen artists we heard about previously. With an additional $3.5 million for future projects.

here's the run down of totals, courtesy of the SacBee article...

Quote:
$5 million to be spent directly on art. Another $2 million will be used to create an endowment, with the interest going toward maintaining the works and creating rotating exhibits at the airport. And another $1 million is earmarked for administrative costs.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 6:28 AM

Got it..Thanks TD

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 11:48 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Does anyone remember what the original Terminal A looked like? Was it a duplicate of Terminal B with two wings? I looked for old maps/diagrams...couldn't find any.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 3:47 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Does anyone remember what the original Terminal A looked like? Was it a duplicate of Terminal B with two wings? I looked for old maps/diagrams...couldn't find any.

There was no origional terminal A.

What is now "Terminal B" was the entire airport divided into concourse A and B.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 3:48 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
This map from the official site show the proposed path of the future people movers.

Thanks Mike, that would make more sense.

update ...

I actually went back and looked at the origional plan and they did have the automated people mover for the future terminal C routed through the two garages as my rendering shows.

From what we see above though, it looks like they've refined the plan a bit. Obviously it makes more sense for the automated people mover station to be centrally located.

Here's the orgional PDF that shows the rendering that I posted above.. (on page 29)

http://www.sacairports.org/int/plann...0Alts%20v4.pdf

Last edited by urban_encounter; Aug 3, 2008 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 9:35 PM

Southwest to cut four flights out of Sacramento in January

By Mark Glover - mglover@sacbee.com
Published 2:04 pm PDT Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Southwest Airlines will trim four daily flights out of Sacramento in early 2009, part of a nationwide service cutback of nearly 200 flights.

Effective Jan. 11 Southwest will cut daily service from Sacramento to Chicago Midway Airport from two flights to one.

Other daily destination cutbacks effective in January include:

• Las Vegas, nine flights to eight

• Ontario, 11 flights to 10

• San Diego, 13 flights to 12

Major U.S. airlines have been cutting service nationwide for months, primarily citing high fuel prices that have cut deeply into revenues.

However, Southwest officials said Tuesday that its decision to cut 196 flights systemwide in January - representing about 6 percent of its daily schedule of nearly 3,400 flights - was an adjustment to the historically slow winter travel period.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 11:18 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Hello Alaska Airlines & Horizon Air Traveler,

From Magadan, Russia, to Mazatlan Mexico, and all points between, the "Mad Dogs" helped make Alaska Airlines what it is today during their 23 years of service. As we bid farewell to the MD-80, we salute our Alaska Airlines crews and the customers who flew with us along the way.

Our last two MD-80 flights take place on August 24, 2008. Flight 331 will depart San Jose at 7:50 p.m. and Flight 363 will depart SACRAMENTO at 8:20 p.m.

There are still seats available if you'd like to join us for this historic moment as we transition to an all Boeing 737 fleet!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 3:05 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Southwest to cut four flights out of Sacramento in January

By Mark Glover - mglover@sacbee.com
Published 2:04 pm PDT Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Southwest Airlines will trim four daily flights out of Sacramento in early 2009, part of a nationwide service cutback of nearly 200 flights.

Effective Jan. 11 Southwest will cut daily service from Sacramento to Chicago Midway Airport from two flights to one.
I'm stunned that they're cutting the Chicago flight I've lost track how many times I've made that flight and they are always full (including in the winter).

I'll be moving back to Chicago by next spring an I'm going to miss the option.

I hope they restore it in the spring.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 1:35 AM
Here we stAy

Thought this was kinda cool. It's a little old (from 2003) but still in the long term plans I believe. Check out pg 44 for the best graphic.

And also how they came to the decision of a central terminal.

And the final overview. Graphics on pg 2 and 13, the latter with colored phases.

http://www.sacairports.org/int/plann...Plans%20v5.pdf

Last edited by ltsmotorsport; Aug 29, 2008 at 2:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area