HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 6:36 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Yes - the Legoland city skylines of NY and San Francisco are very impressive. They blow everything else away. Of course the builders get paid to create them and they get an unlimited supply of free bricks (unlike the rest of us amatures).

I recently rebuilt my David Stott Building (it is now more accurately proportioned and now has 37 floors - the same as the real building)

(I took this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/2446330124/)

(I took this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/2446329658)

I have not built anything new lately, but maybe I will use the Economic Stimulus check to pay for the ground floor of the Guardian Building!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 10:11 PM
· · · · · · · ·

^ Nice! I thought your first photo was of the real thing!

I've personally wanted to do the Sears Tower with legos, but I can't seem to make myself take the financial plunge to do it.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:53 PM

LEGOS!!!!!!

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 5:14 PM

Talking Record bricker - world's tallest Lego tower

Record bricker - world's tallest Lego tower

The 100ft high record breaker

By Mike Swain 6/05/2008

I knew the kids were up to summit, but...

A Lego engineer gazes in awe yesterday at the tallest tower ever built from the toy bricks - 100ft high.

The structure, with some 500,000 pieces, was assembled in 8in sections by kids and their parents at Legoland in Windsor, Berks. A crane lifted them into position, with Lego engineer Bo Dahl Knudsen placing the final brick.

The tower marked a new section of the theme park and 50 years of Lego's present design. A Danish flag was planted on top, next to the Union flag, in honour of the toy's birthplace.

It smashes the old record, a 96ft tower in Toronto, despite a valiant effort from Anthony Hughes, seven, of Manchester, to match it.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 7:46 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Hooolllly crap. That is awesome. I still have boxes upon boxes of my old legos. I never built any thing higher than like 5 feet though. It was a "CN Tower" kinda thing.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Burj Dubai lego

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 8:05 PM

No, that is a model.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

Wow! It seems like something the wind would be able to knock down. I guess it's stable though. Impressive.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:26 AM
Editor

Cool stuff!

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

By Mike Swain 6/05/2008

I knew the kids were up to summit, but...

A Lego engineer gazes in awe yesterday at the tallest tower ever built from the toy bricks - 100ft high.

The structure, with some 500,000 pieces, was assembled in 8in sections by kids and their parents at Legoland in Windsor, Berks. A crane lifted them into position, with Lego engineer Bo Dahl Knudsen placing the final brick.

The tower marked a new section of the theme park and 50 years of Lego's present design. A Danish flag was planted on top, next to the Union flag, in honour of the toy's birthplace.

It smashes the old record, a 96ft tower in Toronto, despite a valiant effort from Anthony Hughes, seven, of Manchester, to match it.
Holy Mother of the Skies! 0.0

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Some amazing stuff in here! DecoJim, your buildings are wonderful.

After seeing those photos, I have got to go to Legoland. Now, I just have to make it seem like it was my kids' idea...

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:18 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamatzu View Post
Wow! It seems like something the wind would be able to knock down. I guess it's stable though. Impressive.
Note the guywires visible in the picture.

Even with the support, the tower is still impressive. Not much architectural merit however.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:03 AM

the thing gotta wiegh atleast a ton,what keeps the bricks from shatering? I know it all flared and thats techinly the strongest possible deisghn,but stil...

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:34 PM
Meh

They've been doing that tallest Lego tower contest for a while. I remember the days when 23 feet was considered big time.

My tallest tower is only 5 feet tall. Tallest ever was 8 feet, but it was made out of Duplos.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 1:12 PM

Waste of plastic nevertheless.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Yes - the Legoland city skylines of NY and San Francisco are very impressive. They blow everything else away. Of course the builders get paid to create them and they get an unlimited supply of free bricks (unlike the rest of us amatures).

I recently rebuilt my David Stott Building (it is now more accurately proportioned and now has 37 floors - the same as the real building)

(I took this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/2446329658)

I have not built anything new lately, but maybe I will use the Economic Stimulus check to pay for the ground floor of the Guardian Building!
DecoJim,

I had to post and say how much I admire your work; I've seen your buildings on MOC pages and Brickshef, and they are stunning, especially the David Scott Building. I wish I could attend, or participate in events/clubs such as you, but I don’t particularly know of any in my area, Nashville TN. I hope you do build the Guardian Building, & can't wait to see your next structure.

I am a bit of a Lego fanatic myself, and have built a handful of mini-figure-scale skyscrapers and smaller buildings. I am a huge fan of post modern and international style buildings, and my favorite by far is Citigroup Center in NYC:

It took me quite some time to complete due to the expenses, especially when you have to order thousands of parts. It stands at nearly 10 feet tall; I believe it is 308 bricks in height. The base of the building is undergoing reconstruction right now; I want the building to have a more clean and architectural look.

I also have another project currently underway: Bankers Trust Plaza/ Deutsche Bank of NYC. It has always been one of my favorites as well, too bad it is under demolition. Since the building is black, the parts were relatively cheap, and the building should have a seemingly simple construction as far as legos are concerned.

There are a couple others I would like to build, especially Wuhan International Securities in Wuhan, and the United Arab Emirates Towers of Dubai. These buildings would prove to be extremely expensive, and displaying them in the house would be quite difficult due to the height they would reach.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 8:59 PM
Meh

Amazing model. I could sit and look at that all day. And yep, 308 bricks, that's just over 9 feet tall. I bet it's heavy as hell.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 7:46 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator View Post
DecoJim,

I had to post and say how much I admire your work; I've seen your buildings on MOC pages and Brickshef, and they are stunning, especially the David Scott Building. I wish I could attend, or participate in events/clubs such as you, but I don’t particularly know of any in my area, Nashville TN. I hope you do build the Guardian Building, & can't wait to see your next structure.
Thanks for the comments Creator!
The closest train clubs to you that I can think of are in Georgia and North Carolina. You can go to www.bricklink.com, click on the links page, and then click on the Lego Train Clubs or Lego Users Groups links to check them out. Perhaps you could find out when one of the bigger events is scheduled and see if you can participate (obviously it would be a bit far for the monthly meetings but for a once a year type thing you might consider it). While it is fun to build replicas of architecture, it is also fun to display the buildings to the public.

The Citygroup building is certainly an iconic skyscraper. I like how would constructed it so the underside of the tower above the ground level supports is smooth. I also like the details that you added around the base. I don't need to do that for mine since they become part of the club layout and one of the other club members supplies all the roads, cars, and people. Isn't or wasn't there a small church under one corner of the tower?
-Jim

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 8:49 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
I like how would constructed it so the underside of the tower above the ground level supports is smooth.
Good eye Jim. I don't think I had noticed that before. I believe the groove around the underside perimeter houses lighting for the plaza.

BTW my forthcoming version 2 of the (microscale) Citigroup also features a smooth underside.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 1:02 AM

Sigh* Reminds me of the time I visited the Citigroup Building, it was night time then and my college group were elsewhere. Brings back memories just looking in the underground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art