HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:53 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

Wait a second. Not only do you have the vertical rise for both steamboat and Breckenridge totally wrong (both have significantly larger verts as I pointed out in my last post) but you also claim that powder mountain is the largest ski area in the US?

That's a pretty misleading thing to say considering the vast majority of the terrain at powder mountain is actually cat skiing and can not be accessed by the general public.

Vail, on the other hand is America's largest actual lift served ski resort

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:57 AM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Wait a second. Not only do you have the vertical rise for both steamboat and Breckenridge totally wrong (both have significantly larger verts as I pointed out in my last post) but you also claim that powder mountain is the largest ski area in the US?

That's a pretty misleading thing to say considering the vast majority of the terrain at powder mountain is actually cat skiing and can not be accessed by the general public.

Vail, on the other hand is America's largest actual lift served ski resort
Yeah, I took his "research" apart in THIS POST

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:09 AM
Denver

Quote:

SLC
48 miles of light rail and streetcar track
88 miles of commuter rail track
131 bus lines

Denver
47 miles of light rail track
127 bus lines
I do not know if you have heard about FastTracks, but Denver will soon be opening 70 plus miles of new commuter rail track within the next 10 years

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:19 AM
Mile High Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
I do not know if you have heard about FastTracks, but Denver will soon be opening 70 plus miles of new commuter rail track within the next 10 years
...all of those miles WILL be in the actual Denver metro area that is recognized by the U.S Census. A lot of those miles are under construction and will open less than 2 years from now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Well, if we're just picking random ski resorts for our averages, you can't leave out El Colorado Ski Center. In which case, the average distance for Denver ski resorts is closer to 2,000 miles.
I didn't pick random ski resorts. I picked every ski resort within 3 hours of Denver.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:11 AM

I'm talking about the distance from Denver proper, not the suburbs. If you're going to count suburbs, we have several ski resorts about 10 minutes from Sandy and Cottonwood Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONative View Post
It's that Utah brainwashing that I was referring to. Eldora Mountain resort is actually only 30-35 minutes from the northwest suburbs of Denver metro. Obviously not all 2.9 million people live in the city proper. Winter Park is 1.3 hours from Denver (1 hour from western suburbs). Loveland is 1 hour from Denver (45 minutes from western suburbs). SLC doesn't have eastern suburbs, so they can't seem to fathom that there are 600,000 people that live west of Denver proper in the metro.

Just because Colorado has many more resorts throughout the state than Utah does -- doesn't mean they have to be near Denver either. Some folks actually like to get away and see the stars without the light pollution of SLC metro. :-)

..but anyway, it's not all about the ski resorts. SLC hangs on their ski booster that with all their might.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:36 AM
ColoRADo

Quote:
I didn't pick random ski resorts. I picked every ski resort within 3 hours of Denver.
You do realize that there are 26 ski resorts in Colorado, right? And a majority of them are within that 3 hour drive. But you picked "every ski resort" within 3 hours of Denver. Did you miss a couple? Is there more to your list?

List of resorts within 3 hr drive of Denver:

Eldora
Loveland
A-Basin
Winter Park
Keystone
Breck
Vail
Copper
Ski Granby
Beaver Creek
Aspen Mtn.
Aspen Highlands
Snowmass
Buttermilk
Steamboat
Howelson
Ski Cooper
Monarch
Sunlight

The Aspen mountains are a bit of a stretch at 3 hours, but doable. (I only included them, because you did)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:40 AM

Quote:
First, Aspen is not within three hours of Denver. [Edit - apparently Steamboat is barely within three hours from Denver with a generic Denver to Steamboat route]

Second, what you're saying is that you averaged the distance to every ski resort within three hours of Denver, and the average distance is 180 miles? So if you're traveling 60 miles per hour, the average time to get to any ski resort within three hours of Denver is.... three hours? I think you need to check your math.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:42 AM
Mile High Guy

Quote:
I'm talking about the distance from Denver proper, not the suburbs. If you're going to count suburbs, we have several ski resorts about 10 minutes from Sandy and Cottonwood Heights.
Which ski resorts are 10 minutes from Sandy? I'd like to see that. Maybe 20.

You have no problem including Provo and Ogden in your statistics to boost your metro statistics, but then you want to pick and choose where people live in the Denver metro to their nearest ski resorts.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:05 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

There is no way on God's green earth that either Aspen or Monarch are within a 3 hour drive of Denver. Unless you're driving a flying Delorean to the slopes.

Maybe you haven't experienced this in Utah, not having real mountains and all. But you cannot trust Google maps in the mountains. I grew up skiing Monarch being from Colorado Springs, and I still try and get back a couple times per year. Never have made it in 3.

EDIT: caveat, Aspen is not that accessible in the winter. In the summer, when Independence Pass is open, maybe. But again, real mountain roads that close in the winter are probably not something Utah folk would know about.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:27 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
Maybe you haven't experienced this in Utah, not having real mountains and all.
I'm sorry dear sir..... say all you want about SLC......... but you can't argue that Utah doesn't have REAL MOUNTAINS. I think we can all agree.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:28 AM
Denver

Quote:
No you didn't.

You picked resorts in Utah that are all very close to salt lake city. Then selected Colorado ski resorts that were all far as fuck away from the Denver metro area. It was a completely unfair comparison.

Mountains like loveland, eldora, Abasin, copper, etc, are all within an hour and a half of denver but you use Steamboat and Aspen for comparison?

Apples to oranges

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:36 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I'm sorry dear sir..... say all you want about SLC......... but you can't argue that Utah doesn't have REAL MOUNTAINS. I think we can all agree.
No, we cannot all agree. If somebody from Alaska or Nepal wants to mock our mountains, I'll concede. Just like you and your molehills will have to concede in comparison to Colorado.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:
No, we cannot all agree. If somebody from Alaska or Nepal wants to mock our mountains, I'll concede. Just like you and your molehills will have to concede in comparison to Colorado.
Yeah.. what molehills....

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:01 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

All under 14,000 feet. Poor Utah. Sorry about your tiny, pink mountains.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
All under 14,000 feet. Poor Utah. Sorry about your tiny, pink mountains.
So that automatically means that they're not good??

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:05 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
So that automatically means that they're not good??

Of course. It's an all or nothing approach to mountains.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Of course. It's an all or nothing approach to mountains.
Oh, going by that logic, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Oregon, and New Mexico don't have any mountains. Makes sense....

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:09 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Poor Salt Lake City.. Shorter mountains, shorter buildings, smaller city.. You guys are good sports. Where's Boise in all this? You guys haven't peeped a word!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:17 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Oh, going by that logic, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Oregon, and New Mexico don't have any mountains. Makes sense....
They don't. But they're cool about it. None of this jealous little brother stuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West